Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Gold Member Grube Guy
Washington, DC, USA   USA
In reply to # 3878298 by 59mgaguy The MGA has a style all it's own and it a real head turner. As for the Fiat 850 Grub's been trying to flog. Must be that 50% commission and a bottle of Navy Rum he's after.

OK ok, I'll do it for a bottle of run, and 0% commission. You have to sing "Anchors Aweigh" with me though.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
In reply to # 3878359 by Grubeguy OK ok, I'll do it for a bottle of run, and 0% commission. You have to sing "Anchors Aweigh" with me though.

..............NO PROBLEM..........
I still stand up and sing along when ever I hear it played. Gives me a good feeling in my heart and soul. Plus the Navy Hymn. Just glad I'm not on the parade ground with a 1916 Springfield 30 06 above my head.

Airedale

stagepony Avatar
stagepony Silver Member Jinno Louie
Dunedin, FL, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA "Roll-Roll"
1972 Volvo P1800 "Cadet" ~ For Sale ! ~
2002 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner "Corporal Lane"
2017 Mazda MX-5 "Tooth Fairy"
Randy,

1. First of all, if you can't get in/out of MGA, you need to lose weight. That's the bottom line.

2. After weight loss, sit facing door as soon as you get in. This means you're sitting 45 degrees counter clockwise to steering wheel.
Then swing clockwise 45 degrees towards steering wheel.

When you exit, do same thing. When facing steering wheel, swing 45 degrees counter clockwise towards door, then stand up.

Getting in like John Wayne by shoving your right leg in towards pedal will result in severe cramps or dislocation of hip.

3. In the Sixties, when MGA and MGB were at zenith in sales and popularity, people were thin. Folks didn't need to work out at the YMCA
because the jobs they held kept them energized and active. There weren't fast food restaurants everywhere. People didn't
watch TV all day long while eating TV dinners.

4. If you can't get out of MG because of your weight, lose weight or forget the vehicle. Instead, get a Cadillac or Mercedes SUV.

*I'm sorry to be so hard, but Americans just need to remember how thin and healthy we used to be...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Gold Member Grube Guy
Washington, DC, USA   USA
He just called you a fat bastard, Randy...

Midlothian, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 3879386 by Grubeguy He just called you a fat bastard, Randy...

I noticed the fat part. I must have missed the bastard part.

I was thinking...."Maybe I am a little heavy. I can lose weight but personality is fixed at birth".

stagepony Avatar
Dunedin, FL, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA "Roll-Roll"
Hi Randy,

Forgive me for being insensitive. And thanks for taking it like a Gentleman.
If you can't lose weight, perhaps the steering column can push in or push the seat back.

Grube Guy can easily get me in trouble so I'll keep an eye on him.

In reply to # 3879416 by Randy H
In reply to # 3879386 by Grubeguy He just called you a fat bastard, Randy...

I noticed the fat part. I must have missed the bastard part.

I was thinking...."Maybe I am a little heavy. I can lose weight but personality is fixed at birth".

Jinno...i find it amusing that you persist in assuming it's a weight problem as opposed to a frailty issue.

By the way...does anyone know anything or have opinions to offer on 1961mgresto's car for sale on this sight?

stagepony Avatar
Dunedin, FL, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA "Roll-Roll"
Randy,

You go do what you're doing to do. What I said is insignificant.
Perhaps you can ask Grube Guy for better advice.

But I do hope you end up with an MG. You'll have terrific fun.

Prickly Avatar
Prickly Phillip Larnach
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Randy, it doesn't matter if you can get in or out of the MGA, just looking at it will make it all worthwhile.

Bolney Coupe Avatar
Bolney Coupe David A
Haywards Heath, Sussex, UK   GBR
1960 MG MGA 1600 Coupe "Iris"
That’s what we owners mostly do anyway.

markmga Avatar
markmga Mark Wellard
Brisbane, QLD, Australia   AUS
1959 MG MGA Twin-Cam Coupe "Basket Case"
1961 MG MGA 1600
1969 MG MGC
And sometimes from underneath!

colynf Avatar
colynf Colyn Firth
South Yorkshire, UK   GBR
Getting in and out of my MGA for me will be limited more by how well my legs will bend more than my body size.

I have slightly limited movement in my left leg following a motor cycle accident 50 years ago, fortunately my car being RHD, my right leg takes most of the strain when I am getting in or out. Because of this, I find it much more difficult to get in and out from the left hand side.

This reminds me of when I collected my present MGA from Bob West about 10 years ago, the soft-top was up and so I drove it home that way.

When I arrived home a neighbour came across to look at the car, I asked him if would like to come with me for a drive and so he got in. He really struggled to get in through the small doorway (even tighter with the soft top on), he was due to have hip replacement surgery soon and so he was in constant pain.

Anyway, I got him in and he really enjoyed the trip. But, when we got back and parked on the drive, he struggled for a minute and then said, "sorry, but I just can`t get out!"
So I started to get out myself to go round to help him, but having not driven an MGA for around 20 years, I had forgotten how to do it.

I finished up crawling out on hands and knees and then I went round the car to help him.

Because his hips were so painful, the only way to help him was to pull him under both arms. He was a little jammed in there, but with an extra heave, he suddenly came free and we both fell backwards to sprawl in the flowerbeds, both unable to move for laughing and soon joined by another neighbour laughing after watching our antics.

So we both had an unforgettable first drive out in my MGA.

I soon remembered the technique needed for a more graceful entry and exit from my MGA, but my neighbour, even though he has had successful hip replacement surgery and is now pain free, has for some reason, never asked me for another ride in the car. smiling smiley

Cheers
Colyn

Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
Great story, Colyn. smiling smiley

Rob Z Avatar
Rob Z Silver Member Rob Zucca
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
Yes it is. Wish I could have seen that. I remember jumping in and out of my first MGA in the seventies without opening the door. Now......not so much. Right leg in, sit, left leg in. Sometimes grabbing my pant cuff to assist......

In reply to # 3884728 by Steve S Great story, Colyn. smiling smiley

"Time flies like an arrow......Fruit flies like a banana"

Colyn
That is a really great story! I'm glad to know that you figured out a suitable way to enter and exit your car. I feel confident the process will come to me when the need arises. While it is true that I am a bit overweight, my real concern is the inability to use my extremities as I did in the past. It's truly annoying when things that used to be easy become more difficult. As far as my concerns about getting in and out of the car, I realized that I can still get in and out of a 22 inch wide kayak without embarrassing myself. I think I just might be okay.
At the moment I am in negotiations on a new to me MGA. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. Until then I'm going to leave you with this:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 02:09 PM by Randy H.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster