MGA Forum

Wants and needs

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Midlothian, TX, USA   USA
I think I want to buy an mga. I mean I WANT to buy an mga...i think. Well..
Let me start over. My first car was a 1958 mga. I loved that ride. At some point, just after high school, I lost it along with a '59 parts car, but that's another story for another time. Anyway, lately I've been craving that unique feeling one gets driving such a fun machine. I would chalk it up to "middle age crazy" but I don't know any 126 year old men to confirm I'm middle aged. Let's just say that I'm past middle aged and I'm a bit concerned about entering and exiting the vehicle. I remember once one of my friends mom asking me "How do you get in and out of it!?" At the time i thought "well, I just open the door and get in or out." Now I have a new perspective. Anyway, the upshot is, I want to buy an mga but I'm concerned about looking like a freshly minted zombie emerging from a grave. What to do?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Gold Member Grube Guy
Washington, DC, USA   USA
Take it up a notch. Buy yourself a Fiat 850. I know a guy.

Or, swing your legs out first and then your rear. Perfect for any small car smiling smiley

LannM Avatar
LannM Platinum Member Lann Mauck
Claremore, OK, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB Varitone "The Queen"
1963 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB GT
My suggestion, join an MG/British car club.

1. They understand exactly what you're going through.
2. They will have an MGA that you can try on for size.
3. They will probably know where to buy an MGA in whatever condition you want.

The Texas MG Register, https://www.tmgr.org/

Good luck.

Lann

Lann Mauck
Three Main LLC
Desktop Badge Bars and other odds and ends
www.ThreeMainLLC.com

Member Services:
Desk Top Badge Bars, GT Spare Tire Cover Strut Kits, Dipstick Toppers and other odds and ends.
wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
...thats the only part of MGAdom that we can't restore...the youth part.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Snowless Winter, CT, USA   USA
In reply to # 3878241 by Randy H ..........................the upshot is, I want to buy an mga but I'm concerned about looking like a freshly minted zombie emerging from a grave. What to do?

Care not about what other's may think; if its an A you want, satisfy the craving. If, after some time you change your mind, so be it. Best way to get started is to talk to some MG owners: there are two MG clubs in TX that you may want to reach out to:

https://houstonmgcc.com/

http://www.tmgr.org/

Also, the National MGA GT will be held in Dubuque IA this year & it may be close enough for you to get to meet many A owners & their cars:

http://www.namgar.com/events/article/gt-44_dubuque_ia/gt-44_in_dubuque_a_preview/

And here's a nice buying guide and link to Barney's site for everything A related:

https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/buying/buying.htm

Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
They aren't that small, they're just low. Same problem for rich old guys trying to look younger by buying exotic sports cars. They can barely get in and out.

Everyone ages differently, so I suggest finding a local MGA owner and asking if you can sit in it. That should either confirm or ease your worries.

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
I'm 5' 9" over weight, mid 70's but still good looking. It took me awhile before I found that magic move to enter and exit my MGA. I took me about two days. My wife gets in and out of the A on her side and how she does it I don't know. But it's fast and easy for her. So you have to find your own way.
It's awkward at first then you find that it's easy.

The MGA has a style all it's own and it a real head turner. As for the Fiat 850 Grub's been trying to flog. Must be that 50% commission and a bottle of Navy Rum he's after.

John

Attachments:
48950348_1517488515051062_1840202742543417344_n.jpg    36.6 KB
48950348_1517488515051062_1840202742543417344_n.jpg

Ok...im convinced. I don't really care what people think. I will begin an ernest search for a reasonably reliable, not horribly blemished driver.

As it happens, I have a 14 year old daughter who is a freshman in high school. I showed her a photo of an "A" that looked much like my old ride. I asked her how she would feel about being dropped off at school in that car. She said "WOW!! You can pick me up from school in that too!!"

The search begins...

wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
...I still get in mine the Magnum Pi way...smoking smiley

I tried that once but the pins for the tonneau cover ripped a hole in my butt.

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Snowless Winter, CT, USA   USA
Feet first at all times!

Attachments:
a.jpg    48.5 KB
a.jpg

I figured I was doing it wrong.

ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Of course, there is the old saying, that you don't get in or out of an MG, you put it on or take it off.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

BillHoltzman Bill Holtzman
Annapolis, MD, USA   USA
Get a pully system in your garage to hoist you in and out. Harbor freight sells those small electric winches pretty cheap.

GREAT IDEA! I have one of those! But that means I can only get in and out at home. I miss the days of full service gas stations...

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster