AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tnmcleod Avatar
tnmcleod Silver Member Thomas McLeod
Sharpsburg, MD, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA MkII "Jane"
To the group,

It is time (Spring) to finish up with the winter work and start driving the car I bought for just that purpose.
This requires the purchase of a tonneau cover and I cannot find any objective opinions as to the best
source and choice of material. My car came with Stayfast aftermarket top as opposed to the Everflex original.
The Stayfast seems to be much bulkier than the tonneau I remember on my former cars (Sprite, MGB, etc.)
Any and all comments would be appreciated.

Tom McLeod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-01 12:31 PM by tnmcleod.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Grube Guy
Washington, DC, USA   USA
Book marking this one - I'm interested too. Do I understand there are three different types or styles of cover?

Yes No Thank
Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
There's a short version that has the studs for the lift-a-dot connectors screwed into the top of the rear wood railing. I don't recommend this one as it seems to be slightly narrower than the longer version which and has been reported to leak during heavy rains.
The medium length has studs which have to be drilled into the body about 1½" behind the rail. This is the one I recommend as it is slightly wider on the sides and protects the interior better.
The longest one actually goes out to where the top connects. I don't know much about this one so others will have to chime in.

Yes No Thank
Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, NC, USA   USA
I agree with the mid length and in Everflex. If you are going to actually use your car the Everflex is easier to clean and more durable.

Gary

Hammer: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate expensive car parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.

Yes No Thank
Rob Z Avatar
Rob Z Silver Member Rob Zucca
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
Mine came with a stayfast top and tonneau. I really like the canvas.

"Time flies like an arrow......Fruit flies like a banana"

Yes No Thank
barneymg Avatar
barneymg Barney Gaylord
(Somewhere in USA), Pick one (or more), USA   USA
1958 MG MGA "MGA With An Attitude"
I rather like my Stayfast canvas tonneau cover. Ben in use 20 years and 250,00 miles, and still doing well.

Convertible top in Stayfast as well, same 20 years. Doesn't shrink when stowed, goes up/down okay in cold weather. It is also self-tightening (sort of). If it gets a little loose, when up wet it down with water and let it dry, and it will be tight again. Good stuff. Haven't needed to re-tension it in 20 years.

Barney Gaylord - 1958 MGA with an attitude - http://MGAguru.com - barneymg@mgaguru.com
(Please email me direct, do not leave a PM on the public server).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-02 07:45 AM by barneymg.

Attachments:
tt13.jpg    32.2 KB
tt13.jpg

Yes No Thank
tnmcleod Avatar
1962 MG MGA MkII "Jane"
I had already pretty much decided on the middle of the three lengths as my car came with the LTD pins already installed just behind the cockpit rail.
I was never a fan of the short-short one that mounts to the rail and the I thought that the long version would require that I remove the existing LTDs and fill the holes.
I have no experience with the Stayfast fabric other than the top that came with this car and I have not had an opportunity to really use it. Thanks for the comments and keep them coming. The decision is yet to be made.

Tom

Yes No Thank
mgaex189 Avatar
mgaex189 Gold Member Giovanni Delicio
Obrigheim, Rheinpfalz, Germany   DEU
1955 MG MGA 1500 "C2"
1955 MG MGA 1500 "4-seater"
1955 MG MGA 1500 "C1"
1960 MG MGA 1600 Coupe    & more

Yes No Thank
Pawtucket, RI, USA   USA
Dear Tom,

We have patterns for 11 different style tonneau covers, (some original factory design) and some aftermarket that other MGA owners had fitted to their cars (long ago).
We can make them in LHD or RHD, extra wide (early 1500 style) with the ears around the grab handles (later 1600 style), short, medium or the extra long length,

We also offer, original British Everflex, in Black, white, tan (MGA Factory color) gray, dark blue, biscuit and non original red, as well as black and tan stayfast. These are made with a real metal zipper, and have the binding made out of the same material.

They match the Stayfast & British Everflex tops and matching side curtain sets that we sell as well.

Regards,
Cecelia
SCARBOROUGH FAIRE.

Yes No Thank
copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Cold Spring, CT, USA   USA
In reply to # 3709044 by Gary E I agree with the mid length and in Everflex. If you are going to actually use your car the Everflex is easier to clean and more durable.

I'm with Gary; the vinyl material cleans up easily, takes on a nice shine with vinyl polish, and the Everflex is top quality material.

Yes No Thank
Don MGA 1600 Avatar
Don MGA 1600 Silver Member Don Tremblay
Rutland, Rutland, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA "My Oldest Friend"
1962 Jaguar E-Type "Rich Bitch"
I visited Cecelia with two of my MGA buddies (Fred Horner and Angus Ross) a month or so back and reviewed her materials, side curtains and tops. All very nice stuff and this is coming from someone who is well known to be very fussy and originality oriented. Now that winter is basically over, I am planning on visiting Cecelia in the near future to replace my Everflex top that is circa 1981 along with a new set of her side curtains.

I'm planning on staying with the red Everflex since it looks superb on Dove Gray and in my opinion should have been a choice back when they were new.

As far as the best choice for a tonneau, I prefer the longer style that attaches to the rear convertible clips. The tonneau pictured was purchased from Simon Robinson in Darlington, UK before he sold out to what later became Moss Europe.

To me, it is the most convenient choice. This way, I can go anywhere and throw the tonneau over the cockpit and connect it to the front lift a dot studs within a minute or so as compared to dragging the shorter one out of the boot and starting from scratch. For each their own. Don

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-05 12:46 PM by Don MGA 1600.

Attachments:
20150710_183220.jpg    34.7 KB
20150710_183220.jpg

MGA at KDC1.jpg    52.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
tnmcleod Avatar
1962 MG MGA MkII "Jane"
Thanks all for the input. Final decision is still pending but I have more info to help.

Don: Very pretty car. You are right about the colour scheme.

Tom

Yes No Thank
Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
Don, your car's color scheme is indeed very nice, dare I say, "Elegant!"

Yes No Thank
Don MGA 1600 Avatar
Don MGA 1600 Silver Member Don Tremblay
Rutland, Rutland, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA "My Oldest Friend"
1962 Jaguar E-Type "Rich Bitch"
Steve and Tom, Thank you for the complements. I first discovered the same car in 1968 in high school when the girl across the street started to date a guy from another town. He was the original owner and the car was originally painted black with red interior and sported the original whitewall tires. I became friends with the owner and he allowed me to use his MGA. As such, I got hooked and caught the well known incurable disease. A few years later, the car eventually became mine for the princely sum of $150.00 and in around 1980 it received the Dove Gray nitro-cellulose paint that it still sports today. The paint has held up incredibly over the years and has attained a wonderful patina that cannot be recreated. I chose the Dove Gray back then because I had not seen another MGA painted this color and it looked as you mentioned, elegant. Over the years, either Dove Gray has become very popular color or my car being well known in the MGA world in the northeast has been copied many times. Don

Yes No Thank
tnmcleod Avatar
1962 MG MGA MkII "Jane"
Decision taken! Factory length (just behind the cockpit rail), black Everflex.
Ordered today.

Thanks for all of the thoughtful opinions!

Tom

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster