AutoShrine Sponsor

stagepony Avatar
stagepony Silver Member Jinno Louie
Dunedin, FL, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA "Roll-Roll"
2002 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner "Corporal Lane"
2018 Toyota RAV4 "Tooth Fairy"
MG isn't dead!
It's rolling over with a fully electric build of the MG ZS compact SUV.

This is good news even if the new MG vehicle bears no resemblance to the reminiscent
sports cars we adore. This can mean many things to individuals but for me, it's
thrilling that the Octagon marquee was worthy of reviving.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
ZS_LIFESTYLEDEANSMITH001.jpg    40.7 KB
ZS_LIFESTYLEDEANSMITH001.jpg

Was this post helpful or interesting?
+1 Yes No Thank
  malski thanked stagepony for this post
copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Cold Spring, CT, USA   USA
Sad to say it looks like every Mazda, Toyota, Kia, etc. etc. etc. SUV out there. Still, it's good to know that the marque has not gone the way of other once popular car makes. Too bad its not eligible for the U.S. market as they'd probably have some built-in interest here.

Yes No Thank
bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
Jinno you are wrong , while the MG name lives on they are Chinese made and never be an Octagon MG , China did buy the MG name however the do not own the Octagon trade mark. I think the Octagon trade mark belongs to the MG Car Club at Abingdon near Oxford UK but I could be wrong, thought I read it somewhere though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-13 01:14 PM by bev sleet.

+1 Yes No Thank
Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
Looks pretty dead to me. sad smiley

Yes No Thank
3066james Avatar
3066james Gold Member Jim Cheatham
Amelia, VA, USA   USA
Looks like an octagon on the grille to me! Who thought that China would infringe someone else’s trademark!!

Jim

In reply to # 3908016 by bev sleet Jinno you are wrong , while the MG name lives on they are Chinese made and never be an Octagon MG , China did buy the MG name however the do not own the Octagon trade mark. I think the Octagon trade mark belongs to the MG Car Club at Abingdon near Oxford UK

Yes No Thank
Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
The Sacred Octagon showed up on a manufacturer's board in China on a 60 Minutes episode recently.

It is possible to let a license on this kind of thing without having to build a car.

The Flat Earth Society has members from all corners of the globe.

'30 Model A Ford Town Sedan
'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster
'66 Series 1, 4.2 Jag E-Type OTS

Attachments:
MG logo 60 minutes 2-19.jpg    60.9 KB
MG logo 60 minutes 2-19.jpg

Yes No Thank
stagepony Avatar
Dunedin, FL, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA "Roll-Roll"
Volvo is also Chinese owned. Isn't Austin owned by the Germans?
The fact that the marquee is alive is sensational news.

And yes, that is an Octagon on the grille!

Yes No Thank
Mitchman2 Avatar
Here's another way to look at it.

I assume there were big fans of the T-Series platform enjoying a 20 year run remaining basically unchanged. What did they feel about the change to the MGA platform? Abandoned? "Not an MG"? "What? A trunk?"

MG is no longer the cute little sports car we all know and love, but neither is the Mustang the Mustang of the 60's. Time marches on - except at my dad's house where he still has a phone on the wall in the kitchen.

I wouldn't mind reworking the Miata a bit and putting the badge on that. ....better than an on SUV.

'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster

Yes No Thank
mgainaussie Avatar
mgainaussie Gary Lock
Gold Coast, Australia   AUS
Yes, everyone who rubbishes the new MG's (made in China etc.). ba humbug!..they RHD drive ones are actually built in a huge modern plant in Thailand, alongside Toyotas and a handful of other big brands. Most of you wouldn't know that Mercedes, BMW and VW all have manufacturing plants in China, and the cars are sold in LHD format around the World.....China even supplies millions of dollars of build parts to USA...probably in your Ford Mustang!

Yes No Thank
JohnTyg Avatar
JohnTyg John Tygart
Syracuse, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
Take the badge off of that car and NO ONE would guess it was an "MG".

+1 Yes No Thank
stagepony Avatar
Dunedin, FL, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA "Roll-Roll"
Gary,

I couldn't have said this better.

The Octagon may no longer be built in Britain but I'm happy that the marquee is alive and thriving.
Petrol powered sports cars will be superseded by electric sports cars and a thriving MG marquee
can only be good news for all MG owners. A vibrant, successful Marquee only enhances the
appreciation of our brand's earlier automobiles.

For now at least, MG has not gone the way of Polaroid Instant Film, a great product for the first 25 years then went under
because the wages to workers, shareholders and executives exceeded revenues. Polaroid could have farmed out the production
to lower crust countries and the brand name would still exist today.

As a side note, "instant film" is enthusiastically used all over the world and doing well under Fuji.

Mitchell,

I really like my SUV. It zips around town and acts as my go-to vehicle when I want to keep things
dry from rain. Higher off the ground, it does light duty in the mountains and even tows my trailer
if my pickup truck goes down. Before I bought my RAV4, I considered the Volvo V60 T5 Wagon
or a Benz Wagon but I didn't want the headaches and empty pockets. As with most folks in this
forum, I thought all SUV's look the same. It wasn't until I actually owned one that I realized the
differences between mine and others.

In reply to # 3908174 by mgainaussie Yes, everyone who rubbishes the new MG's (made in China etc.). ba humbug!..they RHD drive ones are actually built in a huge modern plant in Thailand, alongside Toyotas and a handful of other big brands. Most of you wouldn't know that Mercedes, BMW and VW all have manufacturing plants in China, and the cars are sold in LHD format around the World.....China even supplies millions of dollars of build parts to USA...probably in your Ford Mustang!

Yes No Thank
wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
...and Buicks too....eye popping smiley

In reply to # 3908174 by mgainaussie Yes, everyone who rubbishes the new MG's (made in China etc.). ba humbug!..they RHD drive ones are actually built in a huge modern plant in Thailand, alongside Toyotas and a handful of other big brands. Most of you wouldn't know that Mercedes, BMW and VW all have manufacturing plants in China, and the cars are sold in LHD format around the World.....China even supplies millions of dollars of build parts to USA...probably in your Ford Mustang!

Yes No Thank
Mitchman2 Avatar
In reply to # 3908225 by stagepony Gary,

I couldn't have said this better.

The Octagon may no longer be built in Britain but I'm happy that the marquee is alive and thriving.
Petrol powered sports cars will be superseded by electric sports cars and a thriving MG marquee
can only be good news for all MG owners. A vibrant, successful Marquee only enhances the
appreciation of our brand's earlier automobiles.

For now at least, MG has not gone the way of Polaroid Instant Film, a great product for the first 25 years then went under
because the wages to workers, shareholders and executives exceeded revenues. Polaroid could have farmed out the production
to lower crust countries and the brand name would still exist today.

As a side note, "instant film" is enthusiastically used all over the world and doing well under Fuji.

Mitchell,

I really like my SUV. It zips around town and acts as my go-to vehicle when I want to keep things
dry from rain. Higher off the ground, it does light duty in the mountains and even tows my trailer
if my pickup truck goes down. Before I bought my RAV4, I considered the Volvo V60 T5 Wagon
or a Benz Wagon but I didn't want the headaches and empty pockets. As with most folks in this
forum, I thought all SUV's look the same. It wasn't until I actually owned one that I realized the
differences between mine and others.

I now drive a Mazda CX-5, the mid size SUV. I love it. I drove 5 Chrysler minivans for 30 years (had kids). All with Mitsubishi engine/trans. Total out of pocket over that time was under $1,000.00.

'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster

Yes No Thank
Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
It's not that the MG Marque is now being made in China that's the problem. Personally, I'm disgusted that the MG brand will never see the US market! The MGCC UK promotes the newer vehicles and I think they look quite nice but I will truly believe that the Marque is alive and well when I see a Chinese made MG sports car!! drinking smiley

Yes No Thank
mgainaussie Avatar
mgainaussie Gary Lock
Gold Coast, Australia   AUS
Steven, who says the USA will never see a new MG? For your info, SAIC have set up an office in Los Angeles called an "Innovation Centre", and also there is an SAIC office in Detroit involved in looking at supplier logistics. SAIC's Senior Design Manager has recently been reported to say that the USA could soon be added to the list of three current overseas manufacturing bases, these in Thailand, India and Indonesia. Keep waiting!!

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster