The Octagon lives on!

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
If M.G. had made cookie cutter cars like that back when the original company existed, I wouldn't have liked them anymore then I like that Chinese SUV today. But that's just my personal view. They aren't my cup of tea, that's all. I don't even like SUVs very much, which is why I drive MGs and other old cars every day. But to each their own. You have to love what you drive obviously.

Back in the day, every major change in the cars was met by a certain number of purists complaining that they weren't in the true spirit of the marque. And sometimes they were right, like the change from MMM cars to the T-Series which was a major step backward in performance and sophistication. Usually it was just resistance to change whether it was technically better or not. And that's just human nature. But to be fair, this is a much different scenario, with a range of rather generic vehicles and marketing campaigns claiming M.G. stands for "Modern Gentleman". It's not realistic to expect everyone to like it. But plenty of people will love it and that's just fine.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
clevis Avatar
clevis D C
Silverstone, Northants, UK   GBR
1968 MG MGC GT "Nicholson CGT"
Gentlemen ... please remember that MG stands for Morris Garages, also the first cars were 'badge engineered' Morris cars. As to the future attached are photos of Concept Models ...the 2 door coupe due in 2020, also note the grille is half an octagon in respect of the MG Heritage, the second car has a grille paying respect to the MGB/C. Personally I have been around MG's for 60 years.

David Cleverdon.
"Clevis".

"Time is of the essence, and I am fast running out of essence" - Graham Hill

"Ya can't fix stupid" - Ron White

Attachments:
IMG_3913.JPG    47.5 KB
IMG_3913.JPG

IMG_3914.jpg    24.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
-1 Yes No Thank
JohnTyg Avatar
JohnTyg John Tygart
Syracuse, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
Take the badge off of that car and NO ONE would guess it was an "MG"

Sorry to repeat my self but if you want a nice small SUV get a Subaru.

I'm happy the badge is still alive, and I'm not knocking the Chinese SUV as I know nothing about it. Just trying to make a point. Automobile marks, just like dogs, are about petigree. I don't need a badge on my Airedale to recognise one if I see one. I know a Terrier by its behavior and looks.

I'm hoping that the company who owns the badge will eventually design a car worthy of it, something you will know is a LBC or MG, or should be, before you see the badge.

+1 Yes No Thank
stagepony Avatar
stagepony Silver Member Jinno Louie
Dunedin, FL, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA "Roll-Roll"
2002 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner "Corporal Lane"
2018 Toyota RAV4 "Tooth Fairy"
John,

If automobile marks could be like pedigree dogs? I wish that modern automobile marks like Mustang, Charger or Corvette could bear the beauty, marvel and prestige of the precursor models. It seems that those things technologically based, as in the case with American automobiles erode in design and development over time. The public handles new things with greater enthusiasm and sensation. Those things that are technologically based need to be useful, efficient, eco-friendly or the buying public will shop elsewhere. Fomoco could still produce the original 1965 Mustang running with the 289 engine but interest would wane when a lowly, generic SUV is found to be more efficient and cheaper to maintain. It's all about profits and the corporations have trained the American public well.

Some automakers don't follow this technological ideology. Porsche and Morgan comes to mind. Porsche reaches the pinnacle at being the very best in making automobiles. They don't sit back on their laurels. Instead, they refine, design and develop. Morgan still makes cars as they did 50 years ago. Prices have risen but they sell to a traditional clientele.

If the MG marquee is being marketed as "Modern Gentleman", it makes sense given that the buying public just wants a car that is efficient, cheap and chic. Actually, it sounds kind of cool! Does the new MG possess the DNA of precursor models other than the "Octagon"? You know the answer. I'm simply happy that the "Octagon" survives. I'm amazed a lowly, un-pedigreed Chinese company dredged up the sunken marquee, even if the reasons were profit motivated. So years from now when a kid finds a discarded Octagon ornament on the sidewalk, he might pocket the object instead of winging it into the distance.

Just yesterday, I planted two trees; a salmon and red hibiscus. I could have put up a steam punk sculpture in the front yard but like you, I like natural things. Years from now, it will always be a hibiscus tree and bloom pretty flowers.

In reply to # 3908573 by JohnTyg Take the badge off of that car and NO ONE would guess it was an "MG"

Sorry to repeat my self but if you want a nice small SUV get a Subaru.

I'm happy the badge is still alive, and I'm not knocking the Chinese SUV as I know nothing about it. Just trying to make a point. Automobile marks, just like dogs, are about petigree. I don't need a badge on my Airedale to recognise one if I see one. I know a Terrier by its behavior and looks.

I'm hoping that the company who owns the badge will eventually design a car worthy of it, something you will know is a LBC or MG, or should be, before you see the badge.

Yes No Thank
stagepony Avatar
Dunedin, FL, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA "Roll-Roll"
Mitch,

Thanks for sharing. When I was at the Toyota dealership during a dealership sale, those RAV4's were zipping out the gate like 99 cent Egg McMuffins. I had to pee and couldn't wait. Later, I saw some CX-5's down the road and thought, 'that's mighty fine looking vehicle.." I also like the fact that Mazda is a small company that designs towards it's credo, " Jinba Ittai", - rider and horse as one.

In reply to # 3908353 by Mitchman2
In reply to # 3908225 by stagepony Gary,

I couldn't have said this better.

The Octagon may no longer be built in Britain but I'm happy that the marquee is alive and thriving.
Petrol powered sports cars will be superseded by electric sports cars and a thriving MG marquee
can only be good news for all MG owners. A vibrant, successful Marquee only enhances the
appreciation of our brand's earlier automobiles.

For now at least, MG has not gone the way of Polaroid Instant Film, a great product for the first 25 years then went under
because the wages to workers, shareholders and executives exceeded revenues. Polaroid could have farmed out the production
to lower crust countries and the brand name would still exist today.

As a side note, "instant film" is enthusiastically used all over the world and doing well under Fuji.

Mitchell,

I really like my SUV. It zips around town and acts as my go-to vehicle when I want to keep things
dry from rain. Higher off the ground, it does light duty in the mountains and even tows my trailer
if my pickup truck goes down. Before I bought my RAV4, I considered the Volvo V60 T5 Wagon
or a Benz Wagon but I didn't want the headaches and empty pockets. As with most folks in this
forum, I thought all SUV's look the same. It wasn't until I actually owned one that I realized the
differences between mine and others.

In reply to # 3908174 by mgainaussie Yes, everyone who rubbishes the new MG's (made in China etc.). ba humbug!..they RHD drive ones are actually built in a huge modern plant in Thailand, alongside Toyotas and a handful of other big brands. Most of you wouldn't know that Mercedes, BMW and VW all have manufacturing plants in China, and the cars are sold in LHD format around the World.....China even supplies millions of dollars of build parts to USA...probably in your Ford Mustang!

I now drive a Mazda CX-5, the mid size SUV. I love it. I drove 5 Chrysler minivans for 30 years (had kids). All with Mitsubishi engine/trans. Total out of pocket over that time was under $1,000.00.

Yes No Thank
JohnTyg Avatar
JohnTyg John Tygart
Syracuse, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
I don't disagree with any of the above and glad the badge survives.

I'm hopefull that at some point they let an enthusiastic engineer/designer loose to design a relatively inexpensive, fun roadster. smiling smiley

Yes No Thank
Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
If the MGA didn't have a badge on it, no one would have guessed it came from the same company as the TF.

These days every maker sticks a badge in something it has no business being affiliated with.

The Flat Earth Society has members from all corners of the globe.

'30 Model A Ford Town Sedan
'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster
'66 Series 1, 4.2 Jag E-Type OTS

Yes No Thank
Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
In reply to # 3908759 by Mitchman2 If the MGA didn't have a badge on it, no one would have guessed it came from the same company as the TF.

The difference is that the MGA didn't look like anything else when it came out. Beyond that I don't think it's a fair comparison at all, because the same could be said for any new design from any company at any point in history. Once the MGA was announced publicly, most people could easily recognize it with our without badges as an MG. Plus you only had to look at the grill to see it was an MG design. To me it's basically a shorter TF grill.

I have to agree that a lot of new cars today are not recognizable without badging unless you're very familiar with that particular brand. Unless I can see the badge, I can only identify the average modern SUV by the tail lamps. And even then not always. That said, there were a lot of American cars "back in the day" that were the same way. I still can't figure some of them out from a distance. But most European cars seemed to have a much more distinctive look from one another back then.

In reply to # 3908759 by Mitchman2 These days every maker sticks a badge in something it has no business being affiliated with.
I agree fully! I nearly fainted when Porsche came out with an SUV. I'm not a Porsche guy but even I hated the whole idea. But as a business, it was a wise and necessary decision.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-14 06:10 PM by Steve S.

Yes No Thank
copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Cold Spring, CT, USA   USA
How about this MG coming in 2020:

https://bit.ly/2HiqtHn

Attachments:
a.jpg    47.5 KB
a.jpg

b.jpg    66.1 KB
Yes No Thank
stagepony Avatar
Dunedin, FL, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA "Roll-Roll"
1. Those are pretty hot cars Nick. I like it but I have enough toys.

2. Steve, I'm with you on the Porsche SUVs. Something's not right.
It's similar to when I saw Polaroid televisions for sale.

When Walgreens began selling deli food, eggs and milk I didn't mind
so much because I was hungry and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Now if Porsche was the only makers of SUV's, that would be another thing.
But I know there's too many SUV's out there and it surprised me that Porsche
had joined the bandwagon towards making appliances.

Yes No Thank
barneymg Avatar
barneymg Barney Gaylord
(Somewhere in USA), Pick one (or more), USA   USA
1958 MG MGA "MGA With An Attitude"
Did you know Bentley is now making an SUV. Couple of years now.

Barney Gaylord - 1958 MGA with an attitude - http://MGAguru.com - barneymg@mgaguru.com
(Please email me direct, do not leave a PM on the public server).

Yes No Thank
clevis Avatar
clevis D C
Also Rolls Royce ...

David Cleverdon.
"Clevis".

Attachments:
IMG_3915.JPG    45.1 KB
IMG_3915.JPG

IMG_3915.JPG    45.1 KB
Yes No Thank
clevis Avatar
clevis D C
Whoooops! Forgot this photo ..

David Cleverdon.
"Clevis".

Attachments:
IMG_3916.JPG    44.3 KB
IMG_3916.JPG

Yes No Thank
wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
SUVs...been makin them for years............smoking smiley

Attachments:
conestoga.jpg    28.9 KB
conestoga.jpg

Yes No Thank
Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
In reply to # 3909125 by wyatt SUVs...been makin them for years............smoking smiley

Conestoga wagon... named for Conestoga PA, where they were made.

The Flat Earth Society has members from all corners of the globe.

'30 Model A Ford Town Sedan
'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster
'66 Series 1, 4.2 Jag E-Type OTS

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 MG MGB Limited Edition LE

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links