Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

1loosetooth Avatar
1loosetooth Greg Bass
La Jolla, California, USA   USA
Hi, how far rearward can the gearbox be shifted when being separated from the engine while still in the car?

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Rob Z Avatar
Rob Z Silver Member Rob Zucca
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
Maybe an inch or two? Of course you’d have to remove the remote shifter and drop the propshaft first as well as removing the big mounting bolt. I don’t know which would interfere first, the mount lug in the mount or the bell housing in the tunnel.
If you’re trying to pull the motor, you don’t have to push the trans rearward. Lift the engine and at the same time put a floor jack under the bell housing and lift it up until the bell housing contacts the top of the tunnel. This should raise the crankshaft pulley up enough to get it up and over the steering rack. Providing it’s the standard pulley. Then you can separate the two.

"Time flies like an arrow......Fruit flies like a banana"

Yes No Thank
RJBrown Avatar
RJBrown Randy Brown
Queen Creek, AZ, USA   USA
You would not shift it rearward. No reason to complicate the procedure. They come apart and come out just fine. The only real danger is bending the tin firewall piece the steering column goes through. I don’t know how many times I have had to repair damage to it caused by the DPOs careless attempt to pull the engine. Rob is right to tell you to jack up the transmission until it touches the tunnel, but do not damage the front where the tunnel meets the firewall piece I refer to.
I circled in red the piece I have found bent by the DPO in the picture below.

Attachments:
F18ABD9D-EA14-4846-82FA-44EFA796DF30.jpeg    57.6 KB
F18ABD9D-EA14-4846-82FA-44EFA796DF30.jpeg

Yes No Thank
Blueosprey90 Avatar
Blueosprey90 Jeff Sienkiewicz
New Milford, CT, USA   USA
I'm not sure my car is stock because I have a removeable cross member. But I was able to shift it rearward about an inch - maybe a bit more.

I had pulled both the engine and transmission - then reinstalled with the transmission a bit too far forward. Created engine clearance issues.

Yes No Thank
RJBrown Avatar
RJBrown Randy Brown
Queen Creek, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 3906682 by Blueosprey90 I'm not sure my car is stock because I have a removeable cross member. But I was able to shift it rearward about an inch - maybe a bit more.

I had pulled both the engine and transmission - then reinstalled with the transmission a bit too far forward. Created engine clearance issues.

No MGA originally had a removable crossmember
I pulled the engine and transmission together on my first MGA the first time the engine
Was removed. That was the recommendation in the repair manual. I will never pull them as a unit again. Engine first then transmission coming out and transmission installed before engine going in. Unless the transmission needs work it should stay in the car.
If you want to pull the front crank pulley first it will give you more room. To remove the front crank bolt you put a socket on the bolt with a breaker bar against the frame or floor and hit the starter. The power of the starter removes even stubborn front bolts.

Yes No Thank
1loosetooth Avatar
1loosetooth Greg Bass
La Jolla, California, USA   USA
Thanks, but is there room to shift the gearbox rearward, or is it physically impossible? If there is room, about how many inches?

Yes No Thank
barneymg Avatar
barneymg Barney Gaylord
(Somewhere in USA), Pick one (or more), USA   USA
1958 MG MGA "MGA With An Attitude"
Maybe a couple inches. Definitely not far enough to change a clutch or a release bearing.

Barney Gaylord - 1958 MGA with an attitude - http://MGAguru.com - barneymg@mgaguru.com
(Please email me direct, do not leave a PM on the public server).

Yes No Thank
doxendine Donnie Oxendine
Huntingburg, IN, USA   USA
A trick I learned here is to unbolt the rack and pull it forward a bit. This gives you room to get the pulley up and over it. I had to pull my engine twice in a span of a couple weeks and this saved some hassle.

Yes No Thank
bikermga Avatar
bikermga Peter Tilbury
Surrey, BC, Canada   CAN
Remember to remove the gear box dip stick before pulling out the engine/gearbox together, otherwise it will catch on the tunnel.

Peter.

Yes No Thank
MG Cobbler Fred Horner
Westford, MA, USA   USA
I agree with Donnie,
Removing the 4 bolts for the steering rack gives a bit of extra room at the front, particularly if you have a non-standard pulley. I have a MGB damper pulley on my engine with the later timing cover with "high" timing marks. Since this pulley is thicker, it does have a bit of an clearance issue when pulling the engine (an re-installing). The recommendation to put a jack under the bell housing is spot on, I usually place a small pad at the top so that it does not damage the tunnel opening and panel. You will want the extra bit of wiggle room when lining up the engine to the transmission.

Yes No Thank
GILMGA Avatar
GILMGA Silver Member Gil Dupre
CHATTANOOGA, TN, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA
1974 MG MGB GT
You cant remove the transmission without removing the engine first. You can remove the engine without the transmission. The engine and transmission can be removed together

In reply to # 3906736 by 1loosetooth Thanks, but is there room to shift the gearbox rearward, or is it physically impossible? If there is room, about how many inches?

Gil

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-19 02:37 PM by GILMGA.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster