MGA Forum

Sebring from valance installation

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Port Charlotte, FL, USA   USA
Thinking about installinga sebring front valance and would like to know general installation instructions. Difficulty etc.. Thanks, Bill

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Snowless Winter, CT, USA   USA
Bill, here are a couple of previous threads that delve into the topic at hand:

https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?2,3540537,3540537#msg-3540537

https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?2,2167873

Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
I made a fiberglass edge perpendicular to the face and drilled up for the bolts. This captured a fender welt very nicely.

Not the easiest way to install this.

BTW, the Moss piece is terrible. I'll send you mine for shipping, but you won't want to screw around with it unless you're really good with 'glass. I am and I set it aside. Go to Auto Vintagery. The prices on the site are a bit out of date. Call.

The Flat Earth Society has members from all corners of the globe.

'30 Model A Ford Town Sedan
'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster
'66 Series 1, 4.2 Jag E-Type OTS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-04 03:57 PM by Mitchman2.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Gold Member Grube Guy
Washington, DC, USA   USA
Huh, funny you should ask. I"m about to head to my garage to do that very thing. I'll make a video and send you a link.

In short, I bought mine from Scarborough Faire, but the mounting means was throwing me off. I'm going to make a cardboard template and then trim the valence in accordance with it.

Grubeguy Avatar
Mmmkay, here you go - I'm just starting out but should be able to finish out in another couple of hours. Take a look at

https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?2,3374383,page=41

mgainaussie Avatar
mgainaussie Gary Lock
Gold Coast, Australia   AUS
Dave, would love another youtube video of the final fixing etc...I'm about to do the same. But just wait until your coughing finishessmiling bouncing smiley

Grubeguy Avatar
In reply to # 3853534 by mgainaussie Dave, would love another youtube video of the final fixing etc...I'm about to do the same. But just wait until your coughing finishessmiling bouncing smiley

Given the metric ton of peanut butter currently nestled in my lungs, that might be a while. But I'll do some more work tonight and upload another video. I'll even take a picture of my cat for you smiling smiley

dfriswell Avatar
dfriswell David Friswell
BOCA RATON, FL, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA 1600 "The G"
Agree on the ill fitting Moss Valance. Takes MUCH modification to get a good result.

Attachments:
IMG_20150824_175800975.jpg    36.9 KB
IMG_20150824_175800975.jpg

IMG_20150907_155101662.jpg    29.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Grubeguy Avatar
I can't really tell from the photo, but I'm assuming that's a fiberglass valence? I'd better hang my fenders and fit check mine before I go any further …

dfriswell Avatar
dfriswell David Friswell
BOCA RATON, FL, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA 1600 "The G"
Yes, it's a fiberglass valance so can be cut to fit as needed.

Here's the aluminum pieces I made to attach the lip of the valance to the body and fenders.

Attachments:
IMG_20150813_172056122_HDR.jpg    19.9 KB
IMG_20150813_172056122_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150822_105524470.jpg    25.1 KB
ghnl Avatar
ghnl Silver Member Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
In reply to # 3854220 by dfriswell Here's the aluminum pieces I made to attach the lip of the valance to the body and fenders.

Looks like a good excuse to purchase a shrinker/stretcher. Photos show some fender edge patches I made from 18 ga steel.

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

Attachments:
MGA 011 sm.jpg    18.7 KB
MGA 011 sm.jpg

MGA 006 sm.jpg    16.5 KB
MGA 004 sm.jpg    48.3 KB
Grubeguy Avatar
In reply to # 3853469 by Grubeguy Mmmkay, here you go - I'm just starting out but should be able to finish out in another couple of hours. Take a look at

https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?2,3374383,page=41

Sorry for the double posting - thought I'd follow up (and perhaps finish) with more of my progress related to this thread:

57Coupe Avatar
57Coupe Andy Bloom
Grand River, Ohio, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA 1500 Coupe "1957 Coupe"
If Bill is not interested in your Moss valance, I would be very interested in taking it off your hands. If you figure a price and shipping to 44095. I can forward funds. Thanks

In reply to # 3853353 by Mitchman2 I made a fiberglass edge perpendicular to the face and drilled up for the bolts. This captured a fender welt very nicely.

Not the easiest way to install this.

BTW, the Moss piece is terrible. I'll send you mine for shipping, but you won't want to screw around with it unless you're really good with 'glass. I am and I set it aside. Go to Auto Vintagery. The prices on the site are a bit out of date. Call.

DavidMGA1600 Avatar
DavidMGA1600 David Lake
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1960 MG MGA "Dads Car"
1961 CycleKart Race Car "Team Ferrari"
We initially tried to be clever and fix the valance vertically from behind but found there was no space for the nuts, or even the hands to fix them.
We finally use to vertical bolts at the ends, then a bolt under the indicators and under the corner of the grill.
The final bolts will have flat dome heads.

We fixed a plywood profile to the top edge of the valance.

Still some filling and cutting to go, but will look good when painted.

David

1960 MGA 1600 Convertible,
Gold Coast, Australia.
The 5,791 Day Restoration

The CycleKart Club - Forums and more for builders & racers of home-built 200cc vintage-styled karts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-16 06:45 AM by DavidMGA1600.

Attachments:
6D67BB71-98B5-4E72-887F-80120771C72D.jpeg    46.4 KB
6D67BB71-98B5-4E72-887F-80120771C72D.jpeg

mgainaussie Avatar
mgainaussie Gary Lock
Gold Coast, Australia   AUS
David, I'm doing the same as you with the attachment..stainless dome allen head bolts with small stainless oval washers behind. Must have a look at yours.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster