Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

adeballard Avatar
adeballard Ade Ballard
Rochester, Kent, UK   GBR
Top tips please on best way to lubricate the steering rack.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GNK025 Avatar
GNK025 Silver Member Terry Sheppard
Hampton, Victoria, Australia   AUS
I use one of those small pistol type grease guns which use a 3oz cartridge. Emptied a cartridge and without removing the empty catridge from the grease gun, fill it with oil for the steering gear. Figure I get about 50% into the gear, and the rest on the floor, but do manage to get some into the gear.
Anyone have a better way?

par62mga Avatar
par62mga Silver Member Phil R
Wylie, TX, USA   USA
That's exactly how I do it too, messy but effective and only needed every couple of years.

In reply to # 3791063 by GNK025 I use one of those small pistol type grease guns which use a 3oz cartridge. Emptied a cartridge and without removing the empty catridge from the grease gun, fill it with oil for the steering gear. Figure I get about 50% into the gear, and the rest on the floor, but do manage to get some into the gear.
Anyone have a better way?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mralan.scz Avatar
mralan.scz Gold Member Alan Mertens
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA "Robert"
1964 Jaguar E-Type Coupe
I bought a new large grease gun (14oz type) and withdrew the the piston.
A local parts store had a freeze plug with a rubber seal and an expansion bolt which I used to seal the bore in my grease gun.

I fill the gun with 75/90W oil and keep it upright.....with a rubber extension, I can reach down to the nipples for lubrication......two strokes on the pinion and a half dozen on the rack seems correct and do it every third oil change. Doesn`t spill any oil to speak of.

best wishes and Safety Fast!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-13 10:32 AM by mralan.scz.

Rob Z Avatar
Rob Z Silver Member Rob Zucca
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
I use a bolt with the same size thread as the zerk. I drilled a hole through the bolt then cut the head off of it. Then use a piece of tube that this bolt screws into snugly. Remove the zerk and screw the bolt into ghe hole. Make sure your tubing is long enough to be up above the radiator. Then my gear lube bottle fitting on the end (Napa) fits snugly into the tube. Squeeze in the desired amount ( the Napa bottle has graduations on he side) When done there will be some lube in the tube. Remove the bottle and blow into the tube. The rubber gaiters will flex when you do this. Remove the bolt and tube and replace the zerk. Never spill a drop!

"Time flies like an arrow......Fruit flies like a banana"

Attachments:
F50E291B-57B0-47C6-9870-B4C3C12D2063.jpeg    43.7 KB
F50E291B-57B0-47C6-9870-B4C3C12D2063.jpeg

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
northern Va, VA, USA   USA
I bought the hand pump oiler from the Triumph guys …..let me see If I can find a link it was a really low price

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
northern Va, VA, USA   USA
the links seem to have gone dead....it was from spitfire options and called a trunnion oiler

Bolney Coupe Avatar
Bolney Coupe David A
Haywards Heath, Sussex, UK   GBR
1960 MG MGA 1600 Coupe "Iris"
Times 2 with Rob's solution.

57Coupe Avatar
57Coupe Andy Bloom
Grand River, Ohio, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA 1500 Coupe "1957 Coupe"
You can get the pump at most Walmart stores in the Marine supplies area. It is meant for lower unit oil. That is what I use with a drilled pipe like Rob.

Jackcyn Avatar
Jackcyn Jack Richardson
Anacortes, WA, USA   USA
Has anyone used automatic transmission fluid as a lubricant for a TF rack and pinion?

bisslre Avatar
bisslre Ron Bissland
Kenosha, WI, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA 1500 "The Little Car"
1979 MG MGB
2014 Chevrolet Silverado
I removed the zerk and replaced with a brass fitting.. adapted that to a Nickle/copper line.. ran that up along the radiator. At the top I made a custom fitting that accepts the Screw from an outboard motor. Then I just use my same devise that I use to fill the lower unit in the outdrive.

Attachments:
20171228_155019.jpg    55 KB
20171228_155019.jpg

20171228_155119.jpg    25.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20180203_160829.jpg    34.9 KB
20180203_160752.jpg    56.4 KB
MGAman1 Avatar
MGAman1 Gold Member Jim T
Lake Zurich, IL, USA   USA
This device works great and was cheep from my local marine supply shop.

Attachments:
20180127_123937.jpg    51.6 KB
20180127_123937.jpg

20180125_140500.jpg    40.4 KB
Ian Williams Avatar
Ian Williams Ian W
Chipping Longjourney, Toofarupnorth, UK   GBR
Does that fit over the oil nipple or did you remove it completely ?

In reply to # 3800467 by MGAman1 This device works great and was cheep from my local marine supply shop.

MGAman1 Avatar
MGAman1 Gold Member Jim T
Lake Zurich, IL, USA   USA
Hi Ian
Removed the zerk nipple completely.....

In reply to # 3800491 by Ian Williams Does that fit over the oil nipple or did you remove it completely ?

Picton mga David F
Picton, ON, Canada   CAN
In your photo of oiling the rack, there is another grease fitting just to the right on the portion just above the pinion. Does it get grease or gear oil?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster