AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
So, let's here some testimonials.
I am looking for the perfect 12V replacement Battery for my MGA project!
Thanks
Brian

1954 MGTF 1800
1962 MGA MKII

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
mgaex189 Avatar
mgaex189 Gold Member Giovanni Delicio
Obrigheim, Rheinpfalz, Germany   DEU
1955 MG MGA 1500 "C2"
1955 MG MGA 1500 "4-seater"
1955 MG MGA 1500 "C1"
1960 MG MGA 1600 Coupe    & more
Buy 2 of these and connect them parallel.

The dimension fit perfectly in the tray.

Gio

Attachments:
varta-blue-dynamic-544-401-042-3132-b36-12volt-44ah-420a.jpg    10.4 KB
varta-blue-dynamic-544-401-042-3132-b36-12volt-44ah-420a.jpg

Yes No Thank
mgaex189 Avatar
mgaex189 Gold Member Giovanni Delicio
Obrigheim, Rheinpfalz, Germany   DEU
1955 MG MGA 1500 "C2"
1955 MG MGA 1500 "4-seater"
1955 MG MGA 1500 "C1"
1960 MG MGA 1600 Coupe    & more
They are standard for FIAT 500.

Gio

Yes No Thank
barneymg Avatar
barneymg Barney Gaylord
(Somewhere in USA), Pick one (or more), USA   USA
1958 MG MGA "MGA With An Attitude"
I think those little Varta batteries (or any other brand in that size) are not available in North America, certainly not in the States.

I really like my Odyssey PC1200 battery. I got the PC1200MJT, which is the "Jeep" version with 5-sided steel case (not required, but hoping it will last a very long time). Had it a bit over two years now, and absolutely maintenance free, Being sealed, there is no corrosion on the terminal posts or cable connectors (which needed serious cleaning twice a year with a non-sealed battery). It gets a lot of dirt on it, but keeps on ticking, never any corrosion. Sealed battery is "good stuff" for the MGA.

1200 vs. 925, go for the large one. Both have same footprint, the larger one being taller, but fits okay with extended battery tray (or being blocked up in the original tray). Had failure of the alternator a year ago, and managed to drive it 600 miles in 9 hours with just fuel pump and ignition before wevfound replacement alternator. That extra storage capacity is the best. Get a big battery.

Barney Gaylord - 1958 MGA with an attitude - http://MGAguru.com - barneymg@mgaguru.com
(Please email me direct, do not leave a PM on the public server).

Yes No Thank
ghnl Avatar
ghnl Silver Member Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
I have an Odyssey battery in my MGA race car (I think it is the 1200). No failures in 5 years. The only time I couldn't get the engine to start was a sub-freezing morning after the car sat outside in sub-freezing weather all night. It cranked over fine but even with starting fluid I couldn't get it to start. Eventually got it starting with tow around the paddock. The car often sits (in my garage) for weeks or months between use and the battery holds it charge.

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

Yes No Thank
Woodysrods Avatar
In reply to # 3903770 by barneymg I think those little Varta batteries (or any other brand in that size) are not available in North America, certainly not in the States.

I really like my Odyssey PC1200 battery. I got the PC1200MJT, which is the "Jeep" version with 5-sided steel case (not required, but hoping it will last a very long time). Had it a bit over two years now, and absolutely maintenance free, Being sealed, there is no corrosion on the terminal posts or cable connectors (which needed serious cleaning twice a year with a non-sealed battery). It gets a lot of dirt on it, but keeps on ticking, never any corrosion. Sealed battery is "good stuff" for the MGA.

1200 vs. 925, go for the large one. Both have same footprint, the larger one being taller, but fits okay with extended battery tray (or being blocked up in the original tray). Had failure of the alternator a year ago, and managed to drive it 600 miles in 9 hours with just fuel pump and ignition before wevfound replacement alternator. That extra storage capacity is the best. Get a big battery.
Thanks Barney
My thoughts exactly!
Brian

1954 MGTF 1800
1962 MGA MKII

Yes No Thank
mgainaussie Avatar
mgainaussie Gary Lock
Gold Coast, Australia   AUS
There is another Company called Full River that makes AGM batteries. I'm sure that they are in the USA, and are the same as Odyssey sizes...they are sold here in Australia, and generally quite a bit cheaper than the Odyssey ones.

Yes No Thank
JohnTyg Avatar
JohnTyg John Tygart
Syracuse, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
I went with the Odyssey.

Attachments:
IMG_1922 copy.jpg    45.7 KB
IMG_1922 copy.jpg

Yes No Thank
Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, NC, USA   USA
It appears that the PC1200MJT is the only one with regular clamp on terminals. Is that correct.

Flash.. now I see a 1200T

https://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=account&tab=5

Gary

Hammer: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate expensive car parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-07 09:33 PM by Gary E.

Yes No Thank
GILMGA Avatar
GILMGA Silver Member Gil Dupre
CHATTANOOGA, TN, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA
1974 MG MGB GT
I use the Miata size battery and put it in a plastic box. Group size U1R Interstate MT5 L7.5 W5 H 6.5 Bought a palastic box slighly larger L and W works great in bot MGA and MGB

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/car-and-truck/mazda/miata/2000/l4-1.8l-320cca/sliu1rt

Gil

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-08 07:17 PM by GILMGA.

Yes No Thank
Woodysrods Avatar
Okay,
I want a PC1200MJT........were do I source one!
Checked wit my local part supplier today and they came in at over $400.00 without the metal case or studs????
Brian

1954 MGTF 1800
1962 MGA MKII

Yes No Thank
barneymg Avatar
barneymg Barney Gaylord
(Somewhere in USA), Pick one (or more), USA   USA
1958 MG MGA "MGA With An Attitude"
I got mine from Summit Racing, but could e less expensive somewhere else. Two years ago, $274 with the steel case,

Barney Gaylord - 1958 MGA with an attitude - http://MGAguru.com - barneymg@mgaguru.com
(Please email me direct, do not leave a PM on the public server).

Yes No Thank
Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, NC, USA   USA
Here is a link to Sierra Expeditions that has a price of $221 which seems too low..

http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=43

Gary

Hammer: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate expensive car parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster