Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

DevonMG Avatar
DevonMG John Russell
Okehampton, Devon, UK   GBR
I never realised the crankshaft could be fitted backwards—but then why would I?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
joemamma Gold Member Robert White
Monroe,NC 28112, USA   USA
I am making a bit more progress. The engine color is brighter and cleaner than the original maroon. I thought the maroon would be a bit dark for a black car. Owner preference.

Bob
2x 63 MGB, 67 MGBGT, 77MGB ,09 Corvette, 60 MGA, 67 TR4A-irs

Attachments:
100_2557.JPG    61.1 KB
100_2557.JPG

Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
Hey, it looks good!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Snowless Winter, CT, USA   USA
Bob, love the work to date; beautiful job.

MGB65B Avatar
MGB65B Gold Member Thomas Aczel
Sydney, Kurrajong Hts, Australia   AUS
1962 MG MGA MkII
1965 MG MGB "Dad's Little White Car"
Excellent work Bob. You work very quickly as well.

Looking at that view of your engine bay reminds me; does your car have a return spring inside the left wheel arch for the bonnet (aka hood) release? Mine doesn’t but I believe there should be one there. I always thought pushing the release back after popping the bonnet open was normal, but apparently not so!

There is a spring on the pull rod for the hood. I did some distributor work and installed the generator today. Carbs are apart and ready to start the build and cleanup process. I just committed to another MGB for a future project. Fun stuff!
Bob

Bob

Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, NC, USA   USA
Beautiful work as always.

Gary

Hammer: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate expensive car parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.

jgravitt Avatar
jgravitt Jay Gravitt
Beloit, WI, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA 1500 "Mildred “Millie”"
I agree with Jim Cheatham. I may be a little biased, but I think 60 spoke chromes and whitewalls are the way to go. Btw, what color is that Robert? Looks really cool!

Attachments:
IMG_0848a.jpg    45.3 KB
IMG_0848a.jpg

Car is black and the engine is candy apple red from a older ford and tinted darker with black.

Bob

mgaex189 Avatar
mgaex189 Gold Member Giovanni Delicio
Obrigheim, Rheinpfalz, Germany   DEU
1955 MG MGA 1500 "C2"
1955 MG MGA 1500 "4-seater"
1955 MG MGA 1500 "C1"
1960 MG MGA 1600 Coupe    & more
@Thomas Aczel´

does your car have a return spring inside the left wheel arch for the bonnet (aka hood) release?

See attached pic, taken from Barneys Encyclopedia

Gio

Attachments:
bonnet_latch4[1].jpg    28.2 KB
bonnet_latch4[1].jpg

MGB65B Avatar
1962 MG MGA MkII
In reply to # 3861595 by mgaex189 @Thomas Aczel´

does your car have a return spring inside the left wheel arch for the bonnet (aka hood) release?

See attached pic, taken from Barneys Encyclopedia

Gio

Thanks Gino and Bob (and Mark Wellard!)
That makes yet another original part missing from my car. The list is tediously long I'm afraid and I'm still finding more nine years later.
The number of of missing or incorrect parts on my MGA, as originally purchased, is all the more remarkable given that my MGA was the 17th owned by the gentleman I bought the car from! Still it's been quite an adventure, and a great learning experience progressively correcting the seemingly endless minor (and some more major) deficiencies.

I've looked it up; "anti-rattle spring" Part Number AAA788
Moss USA doesn't list it at all. Moss Europe does although I don't know if it's available (I don't (yet) have an account with them).

Does anyone have one lying around they'd be happy to sell? Otherwise I'll open an account with Moss Europe and see how I go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-21 01:53 PM by MGB65B.

yovinny Avatar
yovinny Silver Member Vinny Minchillo
Plano, TX, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA
I just switched from painted 48s to painted 60s. Enormous upgrade in ride and performance, but still has that rough and ready "let's go play" look. But hey, get what you like.

1962 MGA
Plano, Texas

3066james Avatar
3066james Gold Member Jim Cheatham
Amelia, VA, USA   USA
I found a spring that is very close to the original size at a hardware store.

Jim

Attachments:
E8BD6D8D-C3C0-4067-ABA0-ABAD696E8C03.jpeg    41.7 KB
E8BD6D8D-C3C0-4067-ABA0-ABAD696E8C03.jpeg

MGB65B Avatar
1962 MG MGA MkII
In reply to # 3861640 by 3066james I found a spring that is very close to the original size at a hardware store.

Jim

My sincere apologies to Bob here for butting into his thread!!

Thanks Jim. I'll certainly do that if one doesn't show up. I just rang my local MG parts supplier, and no luck, so far.
I'd appreciate it if someone could measure the spring on their car for me and I'll see what I can find nearby as Jim suggests..

3066james Avatar
3066james Gold Member Jim Cheatham
Amelia, VA, USA   USA
I still have my original spring that I will measure when I get back home this weekend. It was kinked in a couple of places so I couldn’t use it but I can measure it.

Jim

In reply to # 3861739 by MGB65B
In reply to # 3861640 by 3066james I found a spring that is very close to the original size at a hardware store.

Jim

My sincere apologies to Bob here for butting into his thread!!

Thanks Jim. I'll certainly do that if one doesn't show up. I just rang my local MG parts supplier, and no luck, so far.
I'd appreciate it if someone could measure the spring on their car for me and I'll see what I can find nearby as Jim suggests..

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster