My MGA project

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

joemamma Gold Member Robert White
Monroe,NC 28112, USA   USA
5 Vredestein Classics ordered. I just could not do the wide whites. They look perfect on the blue coupe but I think a bit much for my black car.

Bob
2x 63 MGB, 67 MGBGT, 77MGB ,09 Corvette, 60 MGA, 67 TR4A-irs

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RJBrown Avatar
RJBrown Randy Brown
Queen Creek, AZ, USA   USA
This iris blue MGA with 48 spoke wire wheels is the trailer Queen I was referring to. Complete frame off restoration to as close to stock as was possible. It had only about 20 total miles on it when sold to a dealer who resold it in Europe.
Yes those are bias ply whitewalls from long ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-10 01:49 PM by RJBrown.

Attachments:
0D307577-7EE8-4D84-86B9-96EDF9785097.jpeg    18.8 KB
0D307577-7EE8-4D84-86B9-96EDF9785097.jpeg

3066james Avatar
3066james Gold Member Jim Cheatham
Amelia, VA, USA   USA
Since June 2017, I’ve put about 3,000 miles on my Coupe.

Jim

In reply to # 3840788 by MGAdavid Painted 60 spoke wheels say, "This car is driven." Trailer-queens tend to have chrome ones.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3840811 by joemamma 5 Vredestein Classics ordered. I just could not do the wide whites. They look perfect on the blue coupe but I think a bit much for my black car.

So, what size tires did you order and from where?
And which wires did you choose? Dayton's 72 spoke??
Brian

1954 MGTF 1800
1962 MGA MKII

The tires are 165-15 from The Tire Rack. Coker was a little more because of the shipping charges. The wheels are MSW 60 spoke chrome tubeless from British Wire Wheel thru Ebay.

Bob

MGB65B Avatar
MGB65B Gold Member Thomas Aczel
Sydney, Kurrajong Hts, Australia   AUS
1962 MG MGA MkII
1965 MG MGB "Dad's Little White Car"
Hi there Bob
You have a similar colour scheme on your MGA to my car, with a black exterior and red trim.
The red soft top on my car was chosen by the previous owner. I actually like the look. The tonneau cover is red also.

My car has 60 spoke chrome wires that it came with, that I personally think look great.
The wheels were new out of the box MWS/Dunlop, but supplied originally 30-35 years earlier. I believe the newer MWS wheels (Indian made) have stainless steel spokes, but mine are an excellent example of hydrogen embrittlement from chrome plating of steel; I think I've replaced about sixteen spokes so far. I've gotten fairly handy at this now, but it's a skill I would have preferred not to have needed to acquire. On the other hand my MGB has Dayton chrome wire wheels and these have been faultless and trouble free for about 12 years.
So in summary, yes, go for chrome wires in my opinion. (And they are no harder, and probably easier to keep clean than painted wheels).

Attachments:
IMG_1088.jpg    59.3 KB
IMG_1088.jpg

Woodysrods Avatar
Thanks Robert and Thomas
Brian W

1954 MGTF 1800
1962 MGA MKII

Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, NC, USA   USA
I have the MWS tubeless chrome 60s on my MKII. When I first got them I have a slow leak in one tire. It would go down 4 or 5 lbs in a month. I decided to try tighten the valve stem which is a threaded with nut affair. When I turned it the whole stem turned a little.. Never leaked again...
Check that the stems are tight.

Gary

Hammer: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate expensive car parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
Gorgeous work form you as normal Bob, looks really good smileys with beer

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3841671 by Speedracer Gorgeous work from you as normal Bob, looks really good smileys with beer

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
purpleGT Avatar
purpleGT Gold Member Bud Osbourne
Pittsburgh, PA., USA   USA
First thing I did, after bringing my MGA home, was to replace the chrome wires with new, painted 60 spoke wheels. For me, the chrome wire wheels are just too much "bling". But, I have to admit that they do look good on some MGAs. It's really a matter of personal preference.

In other words, it's YOUR car, so do as YOU like.

My personal philosophy, on cars, is: The only person my car needs to impress is ME...…………….well, maybe my wife, too.

Chrome wires, interior color and the engine as I got it. Something is wrong with the engine pic. The guy I got it from had no idea there was a issue.

Bob

Attachments:
2018-11-15 16.37.20.jpg    39.2 KB
2018-11-15 16.37.20.jpg

2018-11-15 16.37.35.jpg    46 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
2018-11-15 16.39.12.jpg    45.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
barneymg Avatar
barneymg Barney Gaylord
(Somewhere in USA), Pick one (or more), USA   USA
1958 MG MGA "MGA With An Attitude"
Cute. Assembled for an airplane engine?

Barney Gaylord - 1958 MGA with an attitude - http://MGAguru.com - barneymg@mgaguru.com
(Please email me direct, do not leave a PM on the public server).

Woodysrods Avatar
In reply to # 3843619 by barneymg Cute. Assembled for an airplane engine?
As I am not that familiar with 1600 motors, I don't see what I am supposed to be looking at??????????
Brian

1954 MGTF 1800
1962 MGA MKII

Rob Z Avatar
Rob Z Silver Member Rob Zucca
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
That the flywheel will not fit behind the radiator. cool smiley

In reply to # 3843741 by Woodysrods
In reply to # 3843619 by barneymg Cute. Assembled for an airplane engine?
As I am not that familiar with 1600 motors, I don't see what I am supposed to be looking at??????????
Brian

"Time flies like an arrow......Fruit flies like a banana"

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster