AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

UMG0251 Avatar
UMG0251 Platinum Member John H Twist
Grand Rapids, MI, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA MkII De-Luxe "The A"
This was my first MGA. It was the first MG I rode in. It belonged to my best friend, John Begg, before it was mine. His dad purchased it because their next door neighbor had a TD. John and I drove it around a lot in the summer of 1965 and eventually ended up at a repair shop in Battle Creek, Michigan, where I spied a TD in the corner. That TD captured my heart and brought me into the world of MG. But, truth be told, I much prefer the MGA and have had my own 62 Deluxe since the spring of 1976. I'm pictured here, outside of British Motors, a partnership between myself and Alan Lanphear in Kalamazoo, Michigan, in 1971. My first partner in my MG Experience was Tom Lange, who is also still in the trade, but focuses on T types. Alan has worked for Engel Imports in Kalamazoo for a long time. I sold that MGA to Gregg Purvis who was in my employ, on and off, for about 25 years. He sold it to his next door neighbor and then got it back. He sold it, in turn, to Mike Taylor, of Grand Rapids, who owned both a roadster and a coupe. I lost track of it when Mike sold it. At the time, red brake drums were the rage. I fell prey to the fashion.

Member Services:
John Twist's famous MG Parts & Service business. We offer bench, line, and restoration services, as well as MG education via DVDs and technical seminars, on-site and off-site.

Attachments:
UMG007.jpg    46.5 KB
UMG007.jpg

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Snowless Winter, CT, USA   USA
The car may still be out there; do you recall the serial number?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
A on a shoe string Avatar
A on a shoe string Peter Stevenson
Aubusson d'Auvergne, Auvergne, France   FRA
1960 MG MGA 1600 "A"
1972 MG Midget MkIII "Midget"
Many thanks for all your videos, I've referred to them many times

DevonMG Avatar
DevonMG John Russell
Okehampton, Devon, UK   GBR
Here's my first MGA, my second car, which I bought in 1969 (with another car for spares) for £50. It sported a minor frontal impact when I bought it, so I re-modelled the nose before I resprayed it in OE white. As I was a student at the time I didn't have the funds to rebuild it properly. After two years of enjoyable motoring I sold the car for five times what I'd paid for it to another student. It was a 1960 coupé, and no, I don't remember any of the identification numbers.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_5264.JPG    62.6 KB
IMG_5264.JPG

DevonMG Avatar
DevonMG John Russell
Okehampton, Devon, UK   GBR
Can anyone explain why pictures which are the correct orientation in my folder suddenly decide to appear sideways when I upload them to this site?

ghnl Avatar
ghnl Silver Member Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why-your-photos-dont-always-appear-correctly-rotated/

Pictures of my first car - also my first MGA. Still have the car - now it is a vintage race car.

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

Attachments:
MGA photo scan.JPG    70.9 KB
MGA photo scan.JPG

Newsletter photo.jpg    33.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Tbird Avatar
Tbird ET Taylor
Land O Sky, NC, USA   USA
X2 with Peter on the video's. I'll catch myself watching one of the video's about a car that I don't even have just to see how John Twist would solve that problem. Educational and entertaining......grinning smiley

My first A.

Father-in-law bought it new.
I tracked it down in the 90's and bought it from the guy he gave it to 20 years earlier.
Kept it myself a few years - got it running again.
Sold it to my brother-in-law.
He put it in storage.
My younger brother-in-law and I "stole" it - restored it - and gave it to my older brother-in-law for his Birthday.
He still has it and now I have 2.56 other ones.

Attachments:
history.jpg    77.1 KB
history.jpg

3066james Avatar
3066james Gold Member Jim Cheatham
Amelia, VA, USA   USA
I was a little late to the game! I bought my first MGA in 2013 as a retirement project. Picked it up in Queens, NY and four years later, it was done.

Jim

Attachments:
3C84FE02-9A07-4DB9-B590-8F3D36D69FBD.jpeg    54.4 KB
3C84FE02-9A07-4DB9-B590-8F3D36D69FBD.jpeg

Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, NC, USA   USA
My first was 1n 1975 when I 2 made into one. I bought a fair car with no engine and later found a car with no body and ta da.. First I bought the car with no engine a couple of miles from me.
Then I was in Akron on business and saw a MGA frame in a field beside a warehouse. Found the owner and he said the body went to the body shop for paint and was lost in a fire.
He had everything else in real good condition I could have cheap. So I have a 1500 with a 1600 engine and disc brakes. I put the brake setup on my TD when I went to wire wheels.

Gary

Hammer: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate expensive car parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.

Attachments:
IMG_1561.JPG    42.3 KB
IMG_1561.JPG

IMG_1562.JPG    48.5 KB
IMG_1563.JPG    44 KB
JohnTyg Avatar
JohnTyg John Tygart
Syracuse, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
John,

Here's my first car and MG.

Found a 51 TD sitting in a garage my junior year in High school and picked it up for $1,500. My Father said I paid too much! Sold it my first year of collage about 1975 for $ 2,500.

Wish I had kept it and done a proper restoration.

Thanks again for that ride in your MkII a couple of years back.

John Tygart
Syracuse, NY

Attachments:
22. My 1951 MG TD.jpg    64 KB
22. My 1951 MG TD.jpg

Slowleak Avatar
Slowleak Gold Member Bear Holmes
Apache Junction, AZ, USA   USA
My first, a 1960 1600 roadster purchased in 1968 while in USAF @ Nellis AFB Nevada for $300. It had one DPO who (poorly) repainted it BRG with black racing stripes. The interior was shot so the first road trip was to Tijuana for a new interior, and "Combert top" (see picture). Also loaded up on high quality Mexican guitars and other junk.

Drove the wheels off of it for a couple of years including a 3 month, 10 state, road trip when I got out of the service. Sold it to a friend in Las Vegas for 500 bucks and he also drove the wheels off of it for several years and sold it. I lost track of it, but it showed up a couple of years ago on Beverly Hills Car Club website still sporting it's same crappy BRG and black racing stripes paint job. Price was several thousand dollars more than I was willing to pay; it turns out sentimental value does have a limit.

Bear

Attachments:
First MGA 1.jpg    40.9 KB
First MGA 1.jpg

First MGA in Tijuana.jpg    43.2 KB
First MGA Tijuana trip.jpg    35.2 KB
green mga 2.jpg    35 KB
ghnl Avatar
ghnl Silver Member Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
Tom Magliozzi's MGA (of Click & Clack fame) https://www.cartalk.com/content/tom-magliozzi-biography

And Arlo Guthrie's MGA:

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-13 11:45 AM by ghnl.

dominic-ch Dominic Clancy
zurich, zurich, Switzerland   CHE
my first and still my only MGA in 1988

Attachments:
before.jpg    21.4 KB
before.jpg

and in 1989... only joking this is how it looked in 2000

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-13 02:18 PM by dominic-ch.

Attachments:
3163YN2AC3L.jpg    7.2 KB
3163YN2AC3L.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg    51.6 KB
and now about to get a 1950cc Judson supercharged transplantednt

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster