AutoShrine Sponsor

Moss
59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
I'm starting to dislike Moss. They need to get their act together. If they say parts are in their rebuild kits it should be.

I just had to blow off steam.

John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
MGA brake kits???

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Wyatt,

I take it you've had the same problem with their brake kit?.

I do a lot of rebuilding of SUs for other people. Some of these guys will send their kits to me and other times I will order from varies vendor. (Some of these vendor use Moss) I always try to go the cheapest cost to these people. Moss had a good sale on at the time. So I went on line, went through the list I knew what I needed, Checked each item on the website finding that those parts were marked "In rebuild kit", Ordered the kit only to find those parts stated "in rebuild kit" were missing. I called Moss and was informed parts do not come in the kit.

Not really happy about the hold up on the rebuild of the SU and the added cost of shipping. If they name a kit as Master Rebuild Kit and it shows the parts as being in the kit those parts marked in kit should be in the kit.

I was upset yesterday and blew off steam here on MGE. I just wonder how many others out there have ordered and found their order incomplete?

John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
... you haven't tried ordering parts for an E-Type, huh?

Trust me. After 4 MGs and now an E, I sing Moss's praises from high in the mountain tops on the Jaguar forums.

The Flat Earth Society has members from all corners of the globe.

'30 Model A Ford Town Sedan
'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster
'66 Series 1, 4.2 Jag E-Type OTS

Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
I have noticed that Kelvin has not yet responded. For the record, I ordered the T-9 tranny kit through Moss years ago (yes, I know I should have ordered direct from Hi-Gear) and the clutch alignment tool wasn't included!! It's a bloody $3 part but installing the multi-thousand dollar kit is impossible without it!! Your situation is different than mine but both are definitely customer service issues that could easily (and should) be addressed ASAP!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-12 09:09 AM by Redhawk1689.

Shawn at Moss Avatar
Shawn at Moss Advertiser Shawn Carlberg
Goleta, USA   USA
John,
Can you tell me what was missing from the Master Rebuild Kit? We buy those from SU directly so we need to figure out if we are mis-advertising or they forgot something.

Thanks,

Shawn

Shawn Carlberg
Marketing Manager
Moss Motors
shawn@mossmotors.com
1973 MG Midget

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
In reply to # 3890280 by Shawn at Moss John,
Can you tell me what was missing from the Master Rebuild Kit? We buy those from SU directly so we need to figure out if we are mis-advertising or they forgot something.

Thanks,

Shawn

Shawn,

Your MGB HS-4 SU go on your website and check out item 23 378-085 & 378-090, item 33 370-060, item 378-070, and item 16 372-270. All items are stared as being in your rebuild kits and are not. Having to reorder plus shipping cost time and money. Also the term Master Carburetor Rebuilt Kit should be changed. The word Master gives the impression of being complete.

One more thing I would like to bring to your attention is part number 378-070. This is the float bowl bolt washer. The item has changed from your rubber washers to a hard plastic washer that is too small to fit over the bolt. To use this washer you would have to drill it out or heat it. If you try to heat it and force it on it will break.

John

PeterC Avatar
PeterC Platinum Member Peter Caldwell
Madison Wisconsin, USA   USA
So it looks like SU are who shorted the parts you expected.

There can always be surprises from vendors.... be they SU to Moss, or Moss to you.

Peter C

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (608) 223-9400 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
SteveZBMagnette Avatar
SteveZBMagnette Gold Member Steven Hanegan
Lake Forest Park, WA, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette "Zeebee"
1962 MG MGA MkII "Arthur"
1969 MG MGB GT "The Black Russian"
1970 MG MGB "50/50"
"I always try to go the cheapest cost to these people."

There is your problem right there IMHO! Cheapest DOES NOT equal BEST. I would shoot for most COST EFFECTiVE.

I spent years in the shops. It took me far less time than that to gasp the concept that "Cheap Tools" and "Cheap Parts" are both synonymous with "Junk". Do yourself and your customers a favor and concentrate on getting the best possible quality in parts, and yourself and your mechanics (if you have any) the best quality in tools. That does not necessarily equate to the most expensive, but it damn sure aint the cheapest...

That being said, If Moss is advertising the kit as a Master Overhaul Kit, then it should include all of the bits and bobs to do exactly that. The first time I ordered a "Master Overhaul Kit" from Burlen Fuel Systems in the UK, I understood what a FULL kit really consists of - twice as expensive as what Moss sells, but well worth it in quality and completeness.

Re: Moss
darkleaf Avatar
darkleaf Gold Member Leif Jacobsen
Goleta, CA, USA   USA
A little clarification on the carb rebuild kits. You'll notice that there are "Master rebuild kits" and there are "rebuild kits". Master kits are called as such because they will cover the entire range of HS-4 carbs (AUD52, AUD135, AUD265, etc.) whereas the rebuild kits will be specific to a particular variation. This means that the Master kits will only include items that stayed the same through all of those variations. This is why they don't include items like jet needles or jet bearings. When looking at the website and determining which parts are included in which kits it is important to pay close attention to the terminology. An item that is noted as "included in rebuild kit" will be in the rebuild kit, but not the master kit. Items that are in the master kit are noted as "included in master rebuild kit". If an item is included in both kits it will be noted as "included in rebuild kit and master rebuild kit". I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Leif Jacobsen
Moss Motors

Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
In reply to # 3890379 by darkleaf A little clarification on the carb rebuild kits. You'll notice that there are "Master rebuild kits" and there are "rebuild kits". Master kits are called as such because they will cover the entire range of HS-4 carbs (AUD52, AUD135, AUD265, etc.) whereas the rebuild kits will be specific to a particular variation. This means that the Master kits will only include items that stayed the same through all of those variations. This is why they don't include items like jet needles or jet bearings. When looking at the website and determining which parts are included in which kits it is important to pay close attention to the terminology. An item that is noted as "included in rebuild kit" will be in the rebuild kit, but not the master kit. Items that are in the master kit are noted as "included in master rebuild kit". If an item is included in both kits it will be noted as "included in rebuild kit and master rebuild kit". I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Leif Jacobsen
Moss Motors

Thanks Leif.

The Flat Earth Society has members from all corners of the globe.

'30 Model A Ford Town Sedan
'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster
'66 Series 1, 4.2 Jag E-Type OTS

Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
John, did you order the master rebuild kit? The parts in question are clearly marked that they are not included. It seems Moss has done nothing wrong here. Or maybe I've misunderstood something.

In reply to # 3890292 by 59mgaguy Your MGB HS-4 SU go on your website and check out item 23 378-085 & 378-090, item 33 370-060, item 378-070, and item 16 372-270. All items are stared as being in your rebuild kits and are not. Having to reorder plus shipping cost time and money. Also the term Master Carburetor Rebuilt Kit should be changed. The word Master gives the impression of being complete.

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
In reply to # 3890409 by Steve S John, did you order the master rebuild kit? The parts in question are clearly marked that they are not included. It seems Moss has done nothing wrong here. Or maybe I've misunderstood something.

In reply to # 3890292 by 59mgaguy Your MGB HS-4 SU go on your website and check out item 23 378-085 & 378-090, item 33 370-060, item 378-070, and item 16 372-270. All items are stared as being in your rebuild kits and are not. Having to reorder plus shipping cost time and money. Also the term Master Carburetor Rebuilt Kit should be changed. The word Master gives the impression of being complete.

I suggest you go into your MGB website and click on Fuel, Intake & Emissions. Then open HS-4 Carburetor MGB 1962-71. Click on any of the items I have listed in my posting. The Name will come up and price but below it is printed;

"NOTE: Included in rebuild kit"

John

Be Coming Avatar
Be Coming Kelvin Dodd
So. Calif., USA   USA
Hi John.

Sorry you ran into this problem. It's due to offering two different types of kits.

The "Rebuild Kit" is what we put together in the dawn of time and is designed to include all the parts necessary for a typical rebuild. It is specific to the application, so includes the needle and where needed the float bowl mounting rubber. - Note - These bits are unique to the application.
The kits do not include throttle shafts or butterflies, as replacing worn shafts requires some choices. Are the bodies worn and need to be rebushed, or can oversized shafts be used. We always sold the shafts separately for this reason.

Burlen Fuel Systems came up with what they call a "Master Rebuild Kit". This is not vehicle specific and does not come with needles or HS float bowl adapters (these are different between side draught and semi side draught applications. Don't ask me why, as they do include the jets which are also angle specific. The BFS Master Kits do come with throttle shafts and butterflies.
We added the BFS Master Kits because they were designed by BFS to be "complete" for a range of carburetors. Their HS4 kit fits all kinds of vehicles besides the MGB. Trying to list the differences between our kits and the Master kit was a catalog nightmare. Evidently, it's also a customer nightmare too.

If I was going to rebuild a carburetor. I would use the Moss rebuild kit, then determine what needed to be done with the throttle shafts. It might be a bit pricier, but offers more flexibility.

Now, try condensing all of the above into a format that can be line listed in a catalog or on the website.

Kelvin.

Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
In reply to # 3890884 by 59mgaguy
In reply to # 3890409 by Steve S John, did you order the master rebuild kit? The parts in question are clearly marked that they are not included. It seems Moss has done nothing wrong here. Or maybe I've misunderstood something.

I suggest you go into your MGB website and click on Fuel, Intake & Emissions. Then open HS-4 Carburetor MGB 1962-71. Click on any of the items I have listed in my posting. The Name will come up and price but below it is printed;

"NOTE: Included in rebuild kit"

John

John, there are several kits being offered... gasket kit, rebuild kit, master rebuild kit, lid assembly, needle and seat kit, pivot bolt kit and probably more that I missed. Any part that is included with one or more kits, will say which kit it comes with below the item description. All of the items you're looking at are marked as coming with "Rebuild Kit". They are not included in the master kit which you mentioned ordering. If you ordered "Rebuild Kit" and the items weren't included, then that's another matter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-13 11:53 AM by Steve S.

Attachments:
kits.jpg    37 KB
kits.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster