Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Zur Avatar
Zur Dave H.
Amarillo, TX, USA   USA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Delete
Zur Avatar
Zur Dave H.
Amarillo, TX, USA   USA
Delete

Dave

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-27 06:54 PM by Zur.

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Tired of your electric tool cords tangled or kinked by wrapping too tight? I cut a piece of bicycle inner tube and slip it over the electrical cord. It keeps the cord neat.

John

God must be one of the best inventors.
He took a rib from Adam and made a loudspeaker.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Zur Avatar
Zur Dave H.
Amarillo, TX, USA   USA
Here's a tip for a quick & easy cosmetic resto for faded, dirty instrument faces.
This is good if the clocks work OK but just look tired & dusty.

Remove the bezel & glass and lightly blow off any loose dust.
Then clean with a cotton ball and rubbing alcohol.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get a product called "Protect All" at auto parts stores, Walmart, etc. It's a gentle cleaner/protectant widely used to protect fiberglass exterior walls on RVs & rubber parts. Also car interiors...and my motorcycles love it! It's much better than Armor All.
It's a white, viscous liquid that looks like hand lotion.
Using a Q-Tip moistened with the PA, gently apply evenly to the entire instrument face, but not the odometer numbers.
Let set for a few minutes, then lightly wipe the surface with a clean, soft cloth or MicroFiber cloth.

It won't "restore" the red-zone on the tach, but it will look nicer. And the rest looks absolutely new!
Install new rubber O-ring gaskets when it goes back together, and you may never have to do this again.

I did mine 3 years ago and they still look new. thumbs up

Dave

tjt77 timothy Trevithick
Grass Valley, CA, USA   USA
my tip of the day for all manner of shortcuts is to never forget the usefulness of a big hammer .. often known to officionado's as the 'BFH'

Zur Avatar
Zur Dave H.
Amarillo, TX, USA   USA
Oh, yeah?
Well...my BFH is bigger than your BFH!

In reply to # 3755770 by tjt77 my tip of the day for all manner of shortcuts is to never forget the usefulness of a big hammer .. often known to officionado's as the 'BFH'

Dave

JustinSchroder Avatar
JustinSchroder Justin Schroder
Lynchburg, VA, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB MkIV "Nigel"
While doing the first of Nigel's oil changes under my ownership, I remembered a trick for getting more of the old oil out of the pan before refilling.

Not genius by any means, but when the old oil is super old and black, (Not from one's own negligence, of course.), just pour some fresh oil left over from the last oil change and wait for the new oil to push the old oil out.

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Richmond, BC, Canada   CAN
Need to tap a hole, but do not have cutting lubricate, use the grey anti-seize compound. Works great.
Regards,
Paul

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
When working with upholstery and carpeting you can never have enough hands, especially so when contact adhesive is involved. When first making my brown paper patterns the small magnets are great for holding the paper in place whilst tracing or cutting on the car. Then when transferring from template to material the stationary clips hold the pieces together for chalking or cutting. Then again for any final trimming fit the material to the car with the magnets prior to the adhesive stage. For large areas that are difficult to stick in one go, position material with magnets, create a halfway flap by removing one half of the magnets, spray the adhesive to both surfaces, stick down the loose half. The opposite half can now be lifted with the magnets removed and glued down similarly. Now you have the big piece situated correctly without trying to fight with the glue.
Regards,
Paul

Attachments:
Magnets.JPG    54.1 KB
Magnets.JPG

Stationary clips.JPG    24.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Badbob Avatar
Badbob Gold Member Robert Kuhn
Boise, ID, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA
1958 MG MGA
Another cleaner option is O'Reilly's engine cleaner. I bought 3 cans and sprayed the last MGA i bought in their parking lot, everything that wasn't finish body paint while it was up on the car trailer. Drove to the self car wash 30 minutes later and blasted the crap out of it with all the grease and gunk coming off with the soap cycle. In the shop I was amazed how easy nuts came off the bolts because of the cleaner. I would highly recommend the O'Riley's 10 dollar 3 can special!

Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, NC, USA   USA
Here is one you clothes washer will like..
Every time you take a wire wheel off the car wrap a paper towel around the splines... I don't care how careful you are, you will bump into it with some part of a clean garment and get crap on it.....

Gary

Hammer: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate expensive car parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.

dominic-ch Dominic Clancy
zurich, zurich, Switzerland   CHE
I prefer to put a plastic bag over the splines because the removal is far easier

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Speaking of plastic bags. The fix we did (Ford Motor Company) at for putting in a bolt that once had been crossed threaded. Was to wrap a piece of plastic over the new bolt then to power it in with our air motors (Wrench). I never figured out what would happen once that bolt was removed. But it's a good way to install a bolt that the Murphy has been cross threaded.

John

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Since we live in a world of recycle and reuse, and most of us have a shop that we have to share with our cars. Well, as a simple dust cover, use an old queen or king size fitted bottom sheet. Works especially well with the elasticated corners, you will normally need two sheets to cover the entire car.
Regards,
Paul

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
There's a topic right now on POR15. The shelf life on POR15 once opened is short. You can extend it longer by placing the unused portion of the can in you freezer. Make sure you have a sheet of plastic wrap between the can rim and the lid and it's on tight. Place can in a ziplock bag then place the can and the baggy in a container and seal it tight. The place it in the freezer till needed.

I've used POR15 three or four times out of same can and it lasted for over a year. I've got one can in the freezer now that is over 2 years old.... I'll find out if it's still good when it comes time for me to use it.

John

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster