AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

barneymg Avatar
barneymg Barney Gaylord
(Somewhere in USA), Pick one (or more), USA   USA
1958 MG MGA "MGA With An Attitude"
I can't believe how far back I had to dug to retrieve this thread. I remember trying to post an update when we entered Florida an Thanksgiving day, but had a WiFi signal that wouldn't work. Been bloody busy since then, but I suppose that's no excuse for not posting here occasionally. By Feb 9 we were in Alabama, Feb 19th into Georgia, and March 3 into South Carolina. Then we got stuck in SC for two months. The first big project was helping to complete a 25 year restoration of an MGA in Lexington, SC, to the point of getting it back on the road. March 31 we got to work on reviving another MGA in Columbia, SC, that had been parked for 10 years, and had apparently had neglected maintenance while being driven for 15 years prior. That passed the whole month of April, but somewhere in that time we got new seats and convertible top and a new Lucas alternator on our MGA.

On May 11 we finally broke out of SC into North Carolina, and a couple days later were in process of rebuilding the gearbox in our MGA (again). With some unexpected problems and waiting for delayed delivery of some parts, that sucked up a whole week. Then we had a distributor problem and reinstalled the original Lucas distributor. Our digital camera had a scratched lens, so we had to replace that one (fourth camera in four years). That was followed promptly with failure of the two month old 2000 mile Lucas alternator, and a frantic chase through four states (Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana) looking for a replacement. After that experience we bought a spare alternator to carry along. May 21st we were in Illinois to "visit" Chicagoland MG Club (being treated somewhat like the prodigal son). Then involved with another MGB 3-mai bearing engine rear seal conversion for a friend, and mating the engine to a 5-speed gearbox, and doing another gearbox rebuild for another friend,

June 1st we headed north stopping to visit an old friend Alan Greco in Waupaca, Wisconsin. We have been friends since we lived on the same street in Warrenville, IL in 1973, make that 45 years. This is the bloke who sold me the MGA that I currently drive, back in 1977. He is recently retired and has bought a 100 old farm house with a few interesting out buildings, the solid old barn looking like a keeper with space for at least five cars and workshop and storage. June 5th cruising through Minnesota, and June 6th crossing the border to land in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada. We will be here though the week end attending the 28th Annual Vintage Sports Car Rendezvous, and then we have reserved the next four months for visiting clubs, shops and cars in eastern Canada.

Now for the important bit that prompted this message. My USA based phone is now not working, but my Canadian based phone is working again. So if you want to call us in the next four months use this number 604-799-6104. Our upcoming tour route will look something like this (see below).

Barney Gaylord - 1958 MGA with an attitude - http://MGAguru.com - barneymg@mgaguru.com
(Please email me direct, do not leave a PM on the public server).

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-07 12:15 PM by barneymg.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
canada_east_2018a[1].jpg    20 KB
canada_east_2018a[1].jpg

gardex35 Avatar
gardex35 Gold Member Gary Dexter
Martintown, ON, Canada   CAN
Hi Barney,

I hear you were in the Ottawa, Ontario area recently through the Ottawa MG Club. Too bad it was a work day. What is your next destination and what route are you taking? Would have liked to cross paths.

Gary

barneymg Avatar
barneymg Barney Gaylord
Currently in Moncton, New Brunswick (11-pm Saturday), going to be 300 miles farther east in Cape Breton, NS for a club meeting tomorrow mid day. Gotta haul ass more tonight. WiFi closing now.

Doing nutty things these days. See map attached to see where we're going. We think we are going to connect K and L for a shortcut on a ferry (maybe), and also connect M and N to close the big loop and save 1700 miles driving around.
Meanwhile, follow our follies at: http://MGAguru.com/mobile
For the past few days see: http://MGAguru.com/tales/mobile103.htm

Barney Gaylord - 1958 MGA with an attitude - http://MGAguru.com - barneymg@mgaguru.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-19 07:35 AM by barneymg.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
newfoundland_1.jpg    43.9 KB
newfoundland_1.jpg

barneymg Avatar
barneymg Barney Gaylord
Today we hopped a ferry from North Sydney, Nova Scotia to Port-Aux-Basques, Newfoundland. Show up two hours early for check in and boarding, 6-hr 20-min sailing time, half hour to get off, another half hour lost from Atlantic time zone to Newfoundland time zone. That pretty much killed the whole day.

So far we have one club and two people to contact on this big island. The club has no contact information on their web page (looks like a blog posted by a single person). We have phone numbers but no email addresses for the two guys, and my cell phone does not work here except for two cities, St Georges (4 hours away) and St Johns (10 hours away). This is going to be interesting. Looks like we will drop in on these guys and knock on their doors to see if anyone might be home. Can't wait to see the looks on their faces.

Is anyone on this forum located in Newfoundland? How about Labrador to the north? That would be our next target.

Attachments:
1581.jpg    30.9 KB
1581.jpg

MGACharlie Avatar
MGACharlie Silver Member Charlie Adams
Fairfax Station, VA, USA   USA
1951 MG TD MkII
1955 MG TF
1962 MG MGA MkII "Red"
Barney,

You might try Vernon's Antique Car Museum/Toy Shop, located at Swift Current, Newfoundland. Email: vernon.smith@nf.aibn.com Phone 709-549-2488

Charlie

barneymg Avatar
barneymg Barney Gaylord
Dang, I can't believe how long since my last post here, way too busy. The short of it is, we finished up eastern Canada by end of September, Rolled all over the New England states in October and half of November. Got caught in a nasty snow storm in NJ and PA in mid November, got as far south as Columbus, GA, turned north again and got caught in another nasty snow storm in NW Illinois in late November. Sheesh! Beat a hasty retreat back to Georgia by 1st December, then into Florida by Dec 6. Got new car tires to go with fairly new trailer tires (again). Have spent the past two months in Florida, mostly helping with tech stuff on Fridays at Tech Central in Bonita Springs.

We are about to head north again, tentative visits southern GA, SC, NC, northern GA, and for sure Indianapolis, IN by Feb 20 for the BMTA convention. If it's too cold up there we may back off for a few weeks, but then have plans for British Car Swap Meet And Autojumble in western burbs of Chicago 17th of March. We are supposed to get to Saint Louis, MO as early as possible and head west though the plains states and mountain states (with possible dip into Texas on the way by), and hopefully into Oregon and Washington state later, maybe even tip toe into BC again for a bit. But, we also plan on attending the NAMGAR GT in Dubuque, Iowa in June, whatever kind of side trip that may require (always "just over there" you know). We will coincidentally pass the the 5th anniversary of this road trip on the 5th of May, but certainly not the end of it.

The idea here is that by end of summer we should complete the tour of shops in North America (about 1000 of them), and long since have hit every MG and British car club that was available on the way by. So any time now we may be open to suggestions about what the next item on the hit list should be.

mgainaussie Avatar
mgainaussie Gary Lock
Gold Coast, Australia   AUS
Australia!

Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Gold Member Grube Guy
Washington, DC, USA   USA
If you come to the WA DC vicinity (or south of it), look me up. I'll keep an aged prime rib on standby smiling smiley

mgaex189 Avatar
mgaex189 Gold Member Giovanni Delicio
Obrigheim, Rheinpfalz, Germany   DEU
1955 MG MGA 1500 "C2"
1955 MG MGA 1500 "4-seater"
1955 MG MGA 1500 "C1"
1960 MG MGA 1600 Coupe    & more
Hi Barney,

what about Europe/Germany ??

Gio

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3886151 by barneymg Dang, I can't believe how long since my last post here, way too busy. The short of it is, we finished up eastern Canada by end of September, Rolled all over the New England states in October and half of November. Got caught in a nasty snow storm in NJ and PA in mid November, got as far south as Columbus, GA, turned north again and got caught in another nasty snow storm in NW Illinois in late November. Sheesh! Beat a hasty retreat back to Georgia by 1st December, then into Florida by Dec 6. Got new car tires to go with fairly new trailer tires (again). Have spent the past two months in Florida, mostly helping with tech stuff on Fridays at Tech Central in Bonita Springs.

We are about to head north again, tentative visits southern GA, SC, NC, northern GA, and for sure Indianapolis, IN by Feb 20 for the BMTA convention. If it's too cold up there we may back off for a few weeks, but then have plans for British Car Swap Meet And Autojumble in western burbs of Chicago 17th of March. We are supposed to get to Saint Louis, MO as early as possible and head west though the plains states and mountain states (with possible dip into Texas on the way by), and hopefully into Oregon and Washington state later, maybe even tip toe into BC again for a bit. But, we also plan on attending the NAMGAR GT in Dubuque, Iowa in June, whatever kind of side trip that may require (always "just over there" you know). We will coincidentally pass the the 5th anniversary of this road trip on the 5th of May, but certainly not the end of it.

The idea here is that by end of summer we should complete the tour of shops in North America (about 1000 of them), and long since have hit every MG and British car club that was available on the way by. So any time now we may be open to suggestions about what the next item on the hit list should be.

Well, if you get anywhere near me, you are welcome to come see the new shop, last time you were here, about a year ago, we had just moved into the smaller 24x24 garage and storage container from the move out of the old shop . It was long haul to get to this point, 8 months of wasted promises from two BS artist builders, but I finally got back on track by August, and committed to a new builder, and by Thanksgiving it was standing in the dry. I should be in it now, but the concrete finisher left a less than desirable finish on the concrete, so they are grinding it this coming Tuesday, then I will seal it and be able to start moving stuff in, and get rid of the storage container in the yard. It is a pre-engineered steel building, and the cool thing about them is how fast they can assemble them, the shop was built and in the dry in 32 hours. I was so impressed by the building, and construction, I became a dealer.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others

Attachments:
newshop-3.jpg    56.8 KB
newshop-3.jpg

newshop-5.jpg    68 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
newshop-6.jpg    44.1 KB
newshop-11-s.jpg    48.9 KB
newshop-10.jpg    60.2 KB
newshop-18.jpg    97.4 KB
newshop-23.jpg    50.1 KB
newshop-garagedoor.jpg    73.3 KB
59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Hap,

Sheet metal building? Won't you find that a little warm in the summer?

John

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3888353 by 59mgaguy Hap,

Sheet metal building? Won't you find that a little warm in the summer?

John

It is fully insulated, and will have gas heat, and AC, plus it has a white roof, and sits in a shady area, so no, just the opposite it will be easy to cool, and heat.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 09:42 AM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Hap,

Just got heat in the garage in December. First time for me. I still have to insulate. When I bought the house I had it inspected and was told that the insulation was more then needed. But they checked hust the house part. I found out when I went above the garage there was none. So the heater is working over time seeing temps have been going up and down like crazy. One day in the high 40's,low 50's and then -9 below.

I'm storing a couple cars in a storage unit close by. Metal building no insulation. Night is freezes and in the day heats up. Metal is like a cold glass of beer on a hot day. It's sweats. Not good for the cars but hope to have them out by the time spring comes.

John

Attachments:
lot 028.JPG    29.6 KB
lot 028.JPG

lot 036.JPG    25.9 KB
Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, NC, USA   USA
John it was 81° here Thursday..

Gary

Hammer: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate expensive car parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Gary

Rub it in. But can you say you can walk on water? I can and fish to boot. At lest the sun was out and the snow has melted. (a balmy 23degree for a high)

John

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster