Looking for a couple of MGA 1600 Brake bits and question about the tach drive

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mhodgson Michael Hodgson
Wake Forest, NC, USA   USA
As I get closer to finishing the brake system rebuild on my 1960 MGA 1600 I am missing some parts. Indeed they can be purchased new but are fairly steep considering what they are. When attaching each front caliper, there is a lock plate required along with a total of four bolts that have different threads on either end. One end is threaded to hold the caliper to the wheel hub and the other is threaded for a nut to hold the locking plate (which has a U shape bracket on one end to hold the brake line). I need both the left and right and used and in need of a clean up is great and the four bolts if anyone has them to spare.

I also replaced the engine during this process and do have the mechanical tachometer drive from the original one saved. My question is that I cannot turn the tach drive gear by hand.....I have lubed it well and can turn it with a fair of grips wrapped around a piece of leather to avoid marring the gear cog but seems like it shouldn't be that hard to turn....then again the engine I am sure generators ALOT of torque compared to my hand.....any thoughts if its ok to reuse?

Thanks

Mike

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
MuskokaMKII Avatar
MuskokaMKII Lance Boyce
Bala, ON, Canada   CAN
You are talking about brakes. The most important component of any car. If you don't have fasteners with a known history or maybe even if you do, use new, high quality, high strength fasteners. The lock plate can be reused but the pain of a failed fastener will be far greater than the pain to your wallet.
My thoughts anyway.

Yes No Thank
ghnl Avatar
ghnl Silver Member Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
The MGA caliper retaining bolts are special - they secure both the caliper and the hose support bracket. I will search my boxes of used parts to see if I have any.

The tach drive should turn easily by hand. Most likely it just needs a good cleaning and new O-ring. I know it can come apart - I just don't recall exactly how...

See: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/cm109.htm

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

Yes No Thank
ghnl Avatar
ghnl Silver Member Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
Found four of the bolts and the two hose support brackets. PM sent.

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster