AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Badbob Avatar
Badbob Gold Member Robert Kuhn
Boise, ID, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA
1958 MG MGA
This is a stretch but here is the story:

In the late seventies I was young, reckless and had way too much fun with 5 different MGAs in the Phoenix metro area.

I sold them off, one went to Prescott, one to Coolidge, one at auction, don't remember the rest.

BUT I just opened a box that has followed me around for the past 40 odd years and found this MGA Identification Plate off of one of them.

SO is it yours and if so I'll happily send it and another part to you.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
IMG_1496.jpg    54.6 KB
IMG_1496.jpg

Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Pawtucket, RI, USA   USA
Dear Bob,

Check with NAMGAR to see if the rest of the car is in their registry, as possibly the new owner had a duplicate stamped after finding his VIN stamped on the frame.

Cecelia
SCARBOROUGH FAIRE

+1 Yes No Thank
  nor53 thanked Cecelia Bruce for this post
Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, NC, USA   USA
It is not on the Holland register.

http://www.mgaregister.nl/

Gary

Hammer: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate expensive car parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.

Yes No Thank
NSFW Avatar
NSFW Rob S.
Pembroke, MA, USA   USA
You can literally build a car around that VIN tag. You've got a legitimate plate, now get the title, then start collecting the necessary parts and pieces and a parts car to make it all work. Could be fun and it's a good time to get back into the hobby.

Yes No Thank
copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Finally Snowing in, CT, USA   USA
So a late 59' 1600 may be out there somewhere; would be nice if the car can be reunited with the tag. Bob, you may also want to contact the MG Owners Club in the UK as more than a few LHD vehicles have been repatriated back to the UK:

https://www.mgownersclub.co.uk/mg-guides/mga

Yes No Thank
RJBrown Avatar
RJBrown Randy Brown
Queen Creek, AZ, USA   USA
Not really, he sold the car, someone else owns the rights to that vin plate. If he used it to build another car there would be two cars with that number. Both owned by the legitimate title holder.
He could take a gamble and do as you say but could lose it all.
The plate pictured below belongs with a car I sold years ago. I sold it with a repro plate and could not find the original at that time. The car shows on the Holland register. Here is a picture the new owner posted there. If he wants the tag he can contact me. The car was sold on a Colorado title over 20 years ago. I could lie and get a bond title for another car under this plate. It would be fraudulent to do so and I would run the risk of it being confiscated.
Picture is a bit hard to read it is GHNL\90954

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-09 12:01 PM by RJBrown.

Attachments:
image.jpg    70.3 KB
image.jpg

FA7CDE63-48D0-4C19-AF3F-9AE54B2CC113.jpeg    86.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
Badbob Avatar
Boise, ID, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA
1958 MG MGA
I do know a bit about data plates in aircraft and have seen entire helicopters built around just a flat little piece of metal with the model and serial number it and as far as building up a car around this plate I'm a little too busy as I have two MGAs under restoration in the garage right now so I'm good.

Hopefully the MGA identification plates will find their way back home, and I will post on the other sites you all mentioned.

Thanks for the comments!

Yes No Thank
Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, NC, USA   USA
I also have one of those plates for a car body that burned in a fire and the frame went to the recycler.

Gary

Hammer: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate expensive car parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.

Yes No Thank
Badbob Avatar
Boise, ID, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA
1958 MG MGA
Welllll,, just like aircraft I think you can build a car around the plate legally if you want to it. I've seen helicopters and a DC-4 built around data plates so I think once the actual car body is destroyed you can rebuild it based it on the plate, rising from the ashes as it were. Sorry it was a fire loss, hardest kind.

Yes No Thank
RJBrown Avatar
RJBrown Randy Brown
Queen Creek, AZ, USA   USA
Yes a car could be built around Gary Edwards plate and since he never sold that car he still owns rights to that vin. No one would be able to cloud a title based on that vin. There would only be one car with that vin. Since I sold the car represented by the vin plate In my possession I no longer own that vin number and any car built around that plate would be a duplicate and would not ever have a clear title.
It would also be a good idea to save and reuse the body number tag that is associated with that vin number. Easy to tell if the car is a Frankenstein when the body number is out of sequence to the vin.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster