The all-new Front Page News Feed is now live   Read the announcement
MGExp

MGA Forum

Headlight trim ring - tough time installing.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
Anybody else having trouble installing the trim ring on a brand new headlight set? This is the outer most chrome ring to be installed.

Last night I had to go around the edge of the headlight bucket and roll the edge in just a bit (with a flat screwdriver and hammer) so the ring would fit over the bucket's lip.

I had no problem with the same installation on another car 2 years ago.

The Flat Earth Society has members from all corners of the globe.

'30 Model A Ford Town Sedan
'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster
'66 Series 1, 4.2 Jag E-Type OTS

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
northern Va, VA, USA   USA
i do recall it was a very tight fit

Yes No Thank
Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
Yeah, they're a pain to install but I didn't have to modify them at all.

Yes No Thank
Bolney Coupe Avatar
Bolney Coupe David A
Haywards Heath, Sussex, UK   GBR
1960 MG MGA 1600 Coupe "Iris"
Mitchell

You could try backing off the screws that fix the bucket to the body. I found the rubber gasket to be larger in diameter or thicker than previously and this being squeezed bulged around the bucket and made fitting the ring impossible.

If the ring goes on with the screws loosened a bit then it's the gasket.

Cheers

Dave

Yes No Thank
3066james Avatar
3066james Gold Member Jim Cheatham
Amelia, VA, USA   USA
Mine came from Moss. The only trouble I had was lining up the hole in the bottom of the ring with the hole in the bracket attached to the bucket. I used an awl to line them up.

Jim

Yes No Thank
MGAdavid Avatar
MGAdavid David Werblow
Portland, CT, USA   USA
1954 MG TF
1959 MG MGA
Moss's rims are easier to get on but they do not have a real rivet, just a dimple. Scarborough Faire's do have the rivet, but are much more difficult to get on.

Yes No Thank
3066james Avatar
3066james Gold Member Jim Cheatham
Amelia, VA, USA   USA
I’ve thought about drilling a hole in the dimple and putting a stainless steel rivet in.

Jim

In reply to # 3691681 by MGAdavid Moss's rims are easier to get on but they do not have a real rivet, just a dimple. Scarborough Faire's do have the rivet, but are much more difficult to get on.

Yes No Thank
richmga59 Avatar
richmga59 Richard Glass
peoria, AZ, USA   USA
I'm having major issues getting my headlight rings off. I'm looking to upgrade my headlights. I've never had an issue with other mga's. It says pry it off which I'm sure would be from the bottom but not looking to chip my paint. Yes there looks to be a new rubber gasket but bezel is not budging.

Yes No Thank
MGAdavid Avatar
MGAdavid David Werblow
Portland, CT, USA   USA
1954 MG TF
1959 MG MGA
My bet is that the rings are the newer ones from Scarborough Faire. They do have the correct top-rivet but they are hard as the devil to get on and off. Put a block of wood under the ring and above the marker light, using an awl and just caching the ring. pry it off.

Yes No Thank
jonathan in mass jonathan eagle
weston, MA, USA   USA
I got mine from SF. I took a round screw driver and just slowly worked the inner edge of the rim with the round shaft of the screwdriver. It is only off by a tiny amount and just a tiny amount will make it seem impossible to get on.I was able to get the formerly impossible rim on after a very short time.
I don't remember if Cecelia told me this or another member.
Jonathan

Yes No Thank
bisslre Avatar
bisslre Ron Bissland
Kenosha, WI, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA 1500 "The Little Car"
1979 MG MGB
2014 Chevrolet Silverado
I used silicone spray on the rubber and the chrome rings went on pretty easy.. but mine are also original.

Yes No Thank
JohnTyg Avatar
JohnTyg John Tygart
Syracuse, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
I used original NOS Lucas chrome trim rings but with Moss reproduction buckets.

Still had to modify the lip on the bucket with a file and block of wood (needed paint touch-up when I was through).

Not difficult to adjust but shows that the tolerances are pretty close and difficulties can be from rings and/or buckets. In my case the buckets since rings were original Lucas.

I noticed the originals have the recess for the securing screw at an angle to better ingage the inner ring.

Attachments:
IMG_2865.jpg    43.7 KB
IMG_2865.jpg

Yes No Thank
JohnTyg Avatar
JohnTyg John Tygart
Syracuse, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
Oh, ... repro on the right and original on left.

Yes No Thank
dominic-ch Dominic Clancy
zurich, zurich, Switzerland   CHE
I too bought a set from NOS/SF, and they came with a leaflet that said they had intentionally been made smaller than the originals to stop them flying off. I couldn't make them fit original buckets and there was no way they could even come close to fitting a repro bucket. (The repro buckets always seem to need the top wedge dusting to make any rim fit). There was no mention of the size difference in the listing, which proudly claimed that these rims are as originals, so I successfully claimed my money back from PayPal using a copy of the leaflet as evidence.

I'm in the happy position of being blocked as a buyer by Cecelia because I have always successfully been reimbursed for my returns for the sub-standard items I have received from her, and she didn't respond well to the suggestion that the parts were not good. I am glad that there are plenty of suppliers with a more customer focussed approach holding their hands up and saying "OK". Moss Europe is particularly good in this regard, as is Leacy.

I'll have a hunt for the leaflet and if I can find it in my car papers I will post it here.

Yes No Thank
Don MGA 1600 Avatar
Don MGA 1600 Silver Member Don Tremblay
Rutland, Rutland, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA "My Oldest Friend"
1962 Jaguar E-Type "Rich Bitch"
You guys love pictures.

A few years ago, I decided to replace my aging 35+ year old headlight gaskets and bought a set of gaskets from Moss.

I have OEM buckets and OEM headlight rings, but with the Moss gaskets, I discovered that it was next to impossible to get a good fit for the OEM rings due to the abysmal too thick and not even close to OEM shape part they offer.

Another example of Moss allowing an offshore vendor to supply parts while their eyes are closed when in reality, there is no excuse for not making it right.

Needless to say, I put the project on hold until I sourced the correct part and tossed the Moss gaskets.

Don

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-16 09:18 AM by Don MGA 1600.

Attachments:
Moss Headlight gasket-1.JPG    32.8 KB
Moss Headlight gasket-1.JPG

OEM lucas Headlight gasket.jpg    34.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
OEM Lucas Headlight gasket superimposed over Moss gasket bottom view.JPG    52.4 KB
OEM superimposed over Moss gasket-top.JPG    45.4 KB
Moss POS headlight gasket compared to OEM.JPG    38 KB
Dust Excluder.JPG    26.3 KB
Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster