AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
I've been looking at all the worn out H-4 front levers in my collection. The cost of new levers are big bite in ones budget to replace. I had thought of recasting them but figure that would be too much work and cost Then I thought drilling and reaming out the oblong holes and inserting brass bushing in them. After going on line and finding that each bushing I would need cost 69 cents each plus $9.95 shipping I decided to make my own.

The bushing came out decent but when installed the hole they didn't come out centered. (I know why) My thoughts were to try them out on my 58 to see how much off of adjustment the SUs would be.

At this point it makes me wonder if anyone else who rebuilds SUs have tried this and what they came up with. Maybe the answer will save me a little time and work.

John

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
John
This may not solve your issue.
The only 'ovality' I have encountered that I thought would/might need correcting has been on the enrichment lever link thingy end. (below) I have always left this alone.
I recognize that one carburetor will enrich more than the other with this 'ovality' but have never worried about cold weather starts.

If I thought this a big enough concern, my approach to correcting this would be to;
1- carefully size and ream the hole in the brass lever
2- machine/turn short length of solid round bar to an interference fit to this reamed hole in the lever
3- press this into the arm and drill the appropriate size hole for the clevis, the lever or what ever.

Make sense?

B

Check your ego Amigo!

Attachments:
BH_enrich lever H4.jpg    28.6 KB
BH_enrich lever H4.jpg

Yes No Thank
wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
...why not just fill with brass/bronze, flatten and then drill...are the brass or bronze

Yes No Thank
59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
In reply to # 3904988 by wyatt ...why not just fill with brass/bronze, flatten and then drill...are the brass or bronze

You way is about the best.....But I just bought a watchman's lathe and am playing around with it. That's when I spotted the front levers and figured what the heck! I do like the idea of a bush in the lever. It's cheaper if it works.

John

Yes No Thank
bisslre Avatar
bisslre Ron Bissland
Kenosha, WI, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA 1500 "The Little Car"
1979 MG MGB
2014 Chevrolet Silverado
John, I have put bushings in mine when I rebuilt the carbs. Mine were not as bad as yours but I did drill them out then pressed the bushings in.. soldered them in, then drilled them out to the correct size.

Attachments:
20150307_140742.jpg    30 KB
20150307_140742.jpg

20150307_140846.jpg    32.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20150307_141919.jpg    20.2 KB
20150307_143055.jpg    22.4 KB
+1 Yes No Thank
59Coupe Wayne Stambaugh
Montgomery, AL, USA   USA
John,
Moss has those levers for $13.00 each (370-680 and 370-690). They are reproductions but don't appear to be too bad. I'm installing them on a set of H4s tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. At $26.00 for the pair, it's hard to justify doing the required machining to repair the old ones. After working a little over 25 years as a machinist, this is a no brainer (again, if the Moss parts are any good). On the other hand, if you are just looking for a little machine shop challenge this would be a good project.

+1 Yes No Thank
59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Wayne,

I'm cheap, Haven't you figured that out yet? I feel that the price these levers are selling for are a little too high. Every little part adds to the rebuilding of the SUs or to any part of the MG. So If I can bring down the cost I'm better off. If you can fix it use it.

The cost is nothing for me to drill. ream to size, turn down a brass plug and install. If I had to send it to a shop then that would be another matter. I had looked into casting my own but its benefits outweigh its costs.

John

Yes No Thank
Rob Z Avatar
Rob Z Silver Member Rob Zucca
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
John,
As you’re doing a lot of rebuilding of these things and have a pile that you’ve saved, it makes perfect sense to jig up and rebuild them. The time spent developing a drill press fixture and rebuild your “ pile” will be time we’ll spent in the long run. Of course it doesn’t make sense to us that might need to replace them once every ten years, but in you’re case.....go for it. I also hate to dispose of usually superior original parts that can be repaired. Good on ya’.....

"Time flies like an arrow......Fruit flies like a banana"

Yes No Thank
59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Rob,

Thank you, I reamed out the smaller holes. After letting the 1/4 stock I turned down sit in the freezer I pressed them in place. Nice and tight fit. I haven't any 3/8th brass stock laying around so I'll have to get some then do the larger hole. I'll see how they work out this summer when I put a set on my car.

Just to let you know that I plan to use them on my own stuff only. That and on the freebees I do for real close friends.

John

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster