Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Snowless Winter, CT, USA   USA
Just read a current thread where the DPO improperly installed/aligned the driveshaft yoke; probably not the first time this has happened. I thought that it may be of interest to document other DPO's and their unique approach to repairs on their MGA's. In my case it was an attempt by the DPO to avoid spending any money on repairs, and using whatever may have been lying around. Heater hoses were replaced by lovely green garden hose, and held in place by twisted wire. A number of washers were replaced by wire which was wound around the bolt and then the bolt was tightened down. And since metal cans of the day were heavy gauge and had to be removed by a can opener, my DPO decided to reuse the can tops as fender washers and bracket backers throughout the car. I believe recycled Green Giant products were used throughout my car!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
I thought I had t bad that my PO had just disassembled the car and let it sit for 19 years.

Oh, almost forgot about the other one with cardboard and fiberglass pop-riveted to aluminum flashing passed off as rockers. Yea. That.

The Flat Earth Society has members from all corners of the globe.

'30 Model A Ford Town Sedan
'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster
'66 Series 1, 4.2 Jag E-Type OTS

Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Gold Member Grube Guy
Washington, DC, USA   USA
On a '73 Mercedes I had, someone had filled the cavity between inner and outer rockers with fiberglass resin. Must have been a couple hundred extra pounds of the stuff.

On a '68 MGB I had in high school, someone wanted to mount home-stereo speakers into the rear firewall (bulkhead?), and used a series of drilled holes to cut the metal out. … That was, uhhh ... actually me, when I was 16. I didn't know what an angle grinder was.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Don MGA 1600 Avatar
Don MGA 1600 Silver Member Don Tremblay
Rutland, Rutland, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA "My Oldest Friend"
1962 Jaguar E-Type "Rich Bitch"
I've been lucky, but a friend of mind once bought a TR-6 to restore and soon after discovered that the seller had taken a piece from an aluminum cutter and wrapped it around the frame where the rear trailing arm attaches and coated the area with black undercoat to disguise the "fix".

Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
Well, my DPO thought that packing a rusted out portion of the frame with Bondo (!) was a good way to strengthen an already compromised section!!eye popping smiley

Grubeguy Avatar
In reply to # 3887506 by Redhawk1689 Well, my DPO thought that packing a rusted out portion of the frame with Bondo (!) was a good way to strengthen an already compromised section!!eye popping smiley

Ha! Holy cow!

I forgot that the front cross member on my same Mercedes had been filled with fiberglass resin as well, after it was rusted out...

Aridgerunner Avatar
Aridgerunner Silver Member Bill Bussler
Montoursville, PA, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA 1500 "The A"
1959 Triumph TR3A "The Mistress"
Many years ago bought a 74 Midget with a street sign for the drivers side floor and sills filled with newspaper covered with bondo. Then painted very nicely.

Taught me a lesson about using magnet to inspect old cars.

trialsrider Avatar
trialsrider Silver Member Richard Bussler
South Williamsport, PA, USA   USA
I've seen many wiring fix with household wire nuts.

Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
We're all in clubs no doubt. I've noticed a precipitous drop in the skills available in the ownership pool as older members drop away.

We must be vigilant in our inspections.

The Flat Earth Society has members from all corners of the globe.

'30 Model A Ford Town Sedan
'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster
'66 Series 1, 4.2 Jag E-Type OTS

trialsrider Avatar
This do fox is about as good as it gets,see pic.

Attachments:
20190208_115919.jpg    35.2 KB
20190208_115919.jpg

Grubeguy Avatar
???? I'm not sure what that rivet accomplished...

trialsrider Avatar
In reply to # 3888117 by Grubeguy ???? I'm not sure what that rivet accomplished...

Looks like it is filling an offset in manifold

mg1622 Avatar
mg1622 Terry Armitage
Sundre, AB, Canada   CAN
not on a mg but still.Terry

Attachments:
DSCN5158.JPG    32.9 KB
DSCN5158.JPG

mg1622 Avatar
mg1622 Terry Armitage
Sundre, AB, Canada   CAN
Yeah Mitch!! that rocker and sill had to be the worst I have seen .Terry

GhostriderAL Michael Middleton
Al, Huntsville, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA
On my first MGA the PO had repaired the rocker with bondo which was OK because the damage was not to bad but for no reason I could figure
he stuffed the gap between the frame with old newspapers. Maybe some sort of backing for the bondo but they were pretty loose

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster