The all-new Front Page News Feed is now live   Read the announcement
MGExp

MGA Forum

Cutting a hole in the transmission tunnel.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Midlothian, TX, USA   USA
I want to add a cup holder just in front of the armrest in my MGA. The problem I have is that my favorite travel cup is just a little too tall to shift comfortably. I was wondering if it would be acceptable to cut a hole in the transmission tunnel to recess the cupholder a bit. Your opinions matter.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
20190309_103004.jpg    26.4 KB
20190309_103004.jpg

Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
Randy,

I would advice not to cut. Do a search for, "New MGA console--Opinions please" here on MGE. the posting was done by oberRo. Who is Robert Clark.

https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mga-forum.2/new-mga-console-opinions-please.3120954.3120954/#msg-3120954

John

Yes No Thank
Midlothian, TX, USA   USA
While that is a great solution, the issue I have is that my car sports a 1973 MGB 1800 engine and transmission. This forces the shifter slightly forward thus tucking the cup further under the dash making it difficult to retrieve.

Attachments:
20190309_111716.jpg    26.5 KB
20190309_111716.jpg

Yes No Thank
copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Cold Spring, CT, USA   USA
I tried a center console cup holder, it was awkward. I switched to using the door pocket to hold any cups/bottles/cans without having to resort to any cutting or fabricating. Just need to use a bit of packing to make a nest for the cup so it doesn't move; you can also use a commercially available cup holder as a receptacle. Just be careful and avoid slamming the door with a cup in it!

Yes No Thank
Rob Z Avatar
Rob Z Silver Member Rob Zucca
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
My favorite still.....a roll of gorilla tape on the floor of the passenger side. Sticks to the mat. Idea stolen from Barney’s site.....works a treat.

"Time flies like an arrow......Fruit flies like a banana"

Attachments:
C8074626-5767-46FE-9DF6-507EBFE2B44A.jpeg    26 KB
C8074626-5767-46FE-9DF6-507EBFE2B44A.jpeg

Yes No Thank
ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
If you cut a hole in the tunnel, the cup will wind up sitting on the gearbox, not much clearance.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

Yes No Thank
Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, NC, USA   USA
I made this and it works great. I see your gear shift is different so that may not work.

Gary

Hammer: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate expensive car parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.

Attachments:
IMG_1333.JPG    17.2 KB
IMG_1333.JPG

IMG_1327 - Copy.JPG    49.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_1322.JPG    22.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
dominic-ch Dominic Clancy
zurich, zurich, Switzerland   CHE
If you look at the attached picture of the same box installed in an MGB you will see that you have no space underneath that point in the tunnel

Attachments:
s-l1600.jpg    33.6 KB
s-l1600.jpg

Yes No Thank
JRSCA Avatar
JRSCA Silver Member John Smith
Woodstock, ON, Canada   CAN
Ain't going to work if the cup ends up sitting on the tranny.

Find a shorter travel cup.

John

Yes No Thank
Rob Z Avatar
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
Randy said “ahead of the armrest”. I’m not familiar with the dimensions of the 73 box, but in an A that’s in propshaft territory.
Randy, you might want to crawl under the car and see how much space there is above the propshaft for your 1-1/2 depth. The U joint is also in that area. While the hole may aid in greasing that pesky front U joint zerk, it may be pretty tight in clearance.

Yes No Thank
marquismarque Mark Lawton
Coquitlam, BC, Canada   CAN
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB "Killer B"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB
Really!!!, you want to scar your mga for a cup holder?. These cars were built for the pleasure of driving, not for lounging around drinking tea! Drive your car to the teashop of coffee house, have your drink then get in your car and drive it the way it was meant to be driven.... in such a way that you need both hands to steer/shift/ hang on, your cup would fly out of the cupholder anyway. If you want a car that will hold your cup while you casually putt around then there many other, non impressive, basic transportation style cars available.

Just my opinion,

5 mgbs
1 midget
1 e type
1 v8 powered xj6

Yes No Thank
Tbird Avatar
Tbird ET Taylor
Land O Sky, NC, USA   USA
I believe you'll hit the tunnel stiffening brackets if you try to cut into that area.
Would be surprised if there is enough room to cut a circle large enough.
(from Barney Gaylords site)

Think I'd go with Gary's design - maybe with some velcro straps to hold it to the carpet and keep it from tipping or posts that go all the way to the floorboards.
Otherwise x2 with Nick on the door pocket.

Yes No Thank
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
RANDY: Your CUP, your CAR>????? I have made about six of these for people.

In reply to # 3905659 by Randy H I want to add a cup holder just in front of the armrest in my MGA. The problem I have is that my favorite travel cup is just a little too tall to shift comfortably. I was wondering if it would be acceptable to cut a hole in the transmission tunnel to recess the cupholder a bit. Your opinions matter.

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:

Attachments:
MY MGBGT AND LAMP 015.jpg    65.7 KB
MY MGBGT AND LAMP 015.jpg

Yes No Thank
mgainaussie Avatar
mgainaussie Gary Lock
Gold Coast, Australia   AUS
Brilliant idea Joe. You could also just find another windscreen washer bottle holder, and maybe bolt it to the door hinge pillar area?

Yes No Thank
Rob Z Avatar
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
Wow....that’s a great idea to use a Tudor bottle bracket. And period too! They attach from the side or the bottom. Perfect!

In reply to # 3906549 by mgainaussie Brilliant idea Joe. You could also just find another windscreen washer bottle holder, and maybe bolt it to the door hinge pillar area?

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster