AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

markmga Avatar
markmga Mark Wellard
Brisbane, QLD, Australia   AUS
1959 MG MGA Twin-Cam Coupe "Basket Case"
1961 MG MGA 1600
1969 MG MGC
This question is for coupe owners who have replaced windows - I have seen comments that it can be installed more easily after the window goes in but the WSM suggests putting it into the rubber beforehand.

Did you install the finishing strip in the rubber before fitting the window to the body or after installation? If anyone has tried installing the trim both ways, which was easier?

Thanks,
Mark

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bolney Coupe Avatar
Bolney Coupe David A
Haywards Heath, Sussex, UK   GBR
1960 MG MGA 1600 Coupe "Iris"
Mark

My professional installer put all 3 elements into the rubber seal and offered up the whole assembly as one unit.

He installed the chrome trim strip after the windows were in place, the rubber edges had been sealed to the glass and to the body and all cleaned up.

Cheers

Dave

zbigmak Avatar
zbigmak George Makowski
Konstancin Jeziorna, Mazowieckie, Poland   POL
Having done this myself I agree with Dave - fit the glass to the rubber and then fit to the body before finally fitting the finisher.
Either way its a terrible job!
Use plenty of washing liquid diluted with water - don't try neat liquid as it only makes the task harder.

My advice is if you have a local friendly glass installer have him do it!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
3066james Avatar
3066james Gold Member Jim Cheatham
Amelia, VA, USA   USA
Mark,
A local glass installer is likely to have never installed the chromed brass trim. I installed mine myself (windscreen and rear glass also) and it wasn't too bad. I'd rather do it myself than have a glass shop try it and ruin your unobtanium trim.

My 2 cents.

Jim

Basil Adams Avatar
About 12 miles from Sears Point, CA, USA   USA
I have a friend that owns a Pebble Beach quality restoration business. He put my glass in and did glass in rubber then used the rope trick to install the entire glass/rubber complex. For the trim, he used the rope trick again by using some very strong but thin nylon twine to walk in the trim pieces. He did the outer lip first and the inner lip last. That way - on the inner lip - he was always pulling the twine toward the center of the glass and had no risk of having the twine bend or kink the chrome-plated brass. It didn't take him half an hour to do both. It woulda taken me hours :-) Basil 707.762.0974 basiladams@yahoo.com

Basil C. Adams
1956 MGA Coupe (Show Car)
1957 MGA Roadster (Driver)
1958 MGA Coupe (Racecar)
1959 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Roadster (Driver)
MKIII Elva Courier (E1056)
1967 427 Cobra
1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal
A coupla late MGBs
1960 Austin Healy BN7
More Cars than Brains

markmga Avatar
markmga Mark Wellard
Brisbane, QLD, Australia   AUS
1959 MG MGA Twin-Cam Coupe "Basket Case"
1961 MG MGA 1600
1969 MG MGC
Thanks all, it sounds like everyone puts the trim in after window installation, despite the WSM instructions. I like Basil's description of the rope to install the strips, I think I will give that a try (unless the person I get to install the windows has a special tool for brass trip installation).

Mark

elgatto Avatar
elgatto Silver Member Mike Dianna
Spring City, PA, USA   USA
I bought this tool on line. It has a small ball on one end which is used by pushing it under the rubber to open it up. Matter of a couple of minutes and you are done. I pushed the ball under the rubber and than just pulled it around the seal.

Attachments:
053.JPG    26.8 KB
053.JPG

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
northern Va, VA, USA   USA
Mike i still have that tool thanks for sending it to me and I still have to install the chrome strip....one of the last things to do, Now i hope in the rush of packing up all my tools when I sold my house last month and sent stuff to storage , i had the for thought to put it in with my "boxed up tools that i kept". If not in 9 months when the new house renovation is finished i will finish the task. if you need it back before then i will buy you one....thanks bob

Mark use no hammers on the window rubber i dont care what people tell you......do the front window first its easy to buy a new one...dont ask me how i know its too painfull

elgatto Avatar
elgatto Silver Member Mike Dianna
Spring City, PA, USA   USA
Hi Bob,

Somehow I ended up with 2 of those Tools. They were made by KD Tools. I don't want it back, so consider it yours.

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-31 01:21 PM by elgatto.

bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
northern Va, VA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3883756 by elgatto Hi Bob,

Somehow I ended up with 2 of those Tools. They were made by KD Tools. I don't want it back, so consider it yours.

Mike

thanks I appreciate it, bob

gary s Avatar
gary s Gary Starr
N Illnois, USA   USA
I put my glass in using the rope trick and a similar tool I made copied from the days I had aircooled VW's and had those windows professionally installed. Did not have the trim at the time. Installed the oem trim when I found it with the same tool,no way was I removing the windows just to put it in.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster