Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Swanny2857 Willem Swanepoel
Somerset West, Western Cape, South Africa   ZAF
Hi,

I am restoring a MGA 1600MK11 and have found the play in the splined wheel hub and wheels to be a bit disconcerting.

I have decided to change to steel wheels and need advice on how this is done? What needs to be changed as far as parts are concerned? Can you use the same hub ?

Sorry for all the questions. my first MGA which has been a dream for 30 years is teetering......on a hub !

Regards
Willem

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
ghnl Avatar
ghnl Silver Member Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
Welcome to the forum! Are you aware of our unwritten rule regarding photos? We like photos so the rule is you should post some. Before/during/after - we like them all!

Swap hubs in the front.

Swap entire axle in the rear. The track width & the axle shaft lengths are different so you cannot simply swap the axle shafts or hubs in the rear.

More info from the MGA Guru here: http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/suspensn/fs301.htm

I suggest you bookmark the MGA Guru's Tech Index: http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/index.htm

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

Yes No Thank
barneymg Avatar
barneymg Barney Gaylord
(Somewhere in USA), Pick one (or more), USA   USA
1958 MG MGA "MGA With An Attitude"
Change front bearing hubs. Change entire rear axle assembly, including hand brake cable.

There are lots of people wanting to change from disc wheels to wire wheels, far more than the other way around. Just ask who wants to do the swap. Park the two cars side by side, and change over all of the required parts in one day.

Take the opportunity to install new rubber packing on the axle to leaf spring joints, get new copper seal washers for the brake hoses (optional), and it might be a good time to change the brake hoses if they look old. You may also want to replace clevis pins and/or pivot parts on the cable equalizer arm. Do check to be sure the rear wheel slave cylinders are functional, not corroded solid.

Barney Gaylord - 1958 MGA with an attitude - http://MGAguru.com - barneymg@mgaguru.com
(Please email me direct, do not leave a PM on the public server).

+1 Yes No Thank
  Swanny2857 thanked barneymg for this post
MuskokaMKII Avatar
MuskokaMKII Lance Boyce
Bala, ON, Canada   CAN
Keep in mind that the MKII has a different axle ratio from earlier models.

Yes No Thank
Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Too bad you are so far away! I have what you need????
Woody

1954 MGTF 1800
1962 MGA MKII

Yes No Thank
bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
northern Va, VA, USA   USA
Hi Wilhem most people don't swap from wire wheels to steel wheels. of course do as you please. will you be racing the car or is this for fun driving around?

the reason people don't swap them is that the wire wheels are considered more desirable. good luck bob

Yes No Thank
Pawtucket, RI, USA   USA
Dear Willem,

Usually people want to change the other way around, from steel wheels to wire wheels. but it's quite easy if you get the following needed parts.Aside from getting 5 MGA steel wheels (they need to be the 1600 rim style which are a 4-1/2J x 15" as opposed to the narrower 1500 style of 4J x 15"
You will need:
2 x MGA 1600/1600Mk2 Front Steel wheel hubs, which will bolt right onto your existing brake rotors after you remove the wire wheel hubs. The inner & outer wheels brgs and inner oil seal is the same for both wire & steel wheel front hubs. Done...for the front.

For the rear:
The steel wheel axle shaft housing is 2" wider than a wire wheel one, and no one that I know of makes a steel wheel conversion hub for MGA rear ends. You will have to locate a steel wheel rear axle rear end with all its components, and swap it out. However the following components are the same for wire wheel and steel wheel rear ends- brakes, ring & pinion differential gear carriers, brake drums, so.. if you can find a steel wheel rear end or part of one as long as it has the steel wheel axle shafts with it you can do this conversion. The handbrake cable only will have to be changed as the steel wheel cable is 2" longer to accommodate the 2" wider axle housing.

You can PM me for more details if needed.

Cecelia
SCARBOROUGH FAIRE

+1 Yes No Thank
  Swanny2857 thanked Cecelia Bruce for this post

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster