Cockpit rails that fit

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

60bugi Barry H
USA   USA
I already talked to Barney and he thinks it’s time to ask the group where the best place is to get cockpit rails that fit properly. Any help appreciated.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Finally Snowing in, CT, USA   USA
In reply to # 3906308 by 60bugi ......... where the best place is to get cockpit rails that fit properly.........

Not sure if there is such a thing. I've purchased wood door rails from Moss, and they required a fair amount of cutting, shaving & sanding to get them to fit; the front dash rail was cut unevenly as well and required a bit of shaving. I also purchased one aluminum corner piece off of ebay (seller stated they were from Moss) and this piece also required some work. And another corner rail from Brown & Gammons came the closest to being a good fit, but it too took a little metal work to get it to taper properly.

It is a challenge to meld OEM pieces and new parts from disparate aftermarket providers, especially when all 8 pieces need to link together.

Yes No Thank
mgainaussie Avatar
mgainaussie Gary Lock
Gold Coast, Australia   AUS
Most pieces can be made to fit by enlarging the fixing holes a bit..that's what I've found. From the many restorations I have done, the holes have already been altered somewhat.

Yes No Thank
60bugi Barry H
USA   USA
Do you recommend one supplier over another.

Yes No Thank
Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
Mine were missing from my basket case, I got my complete rail set from Moss knowing that no matter the maker or supplier, I was going to have to do some body work on them to fit.

Just be sure to allow for the thickness of the covering. I did all the parts for my car in black lamb leather. It's thinner than bovine and stretches quite nicely. I found a hunk on Ebay for less than $40.00.

The Flat Earth Society has members from all corners of the globe.

'30 Model A Ford Town Sedan
'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster
'66 Series 1, 4.2 Jag E-Type OTS

Yes No Thank
smiller913 Avatar
smiller913 Scott Miller
Columbus, OH, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
1992 MG RV8
I ran across a place in Greensboro, NC called Classic Wood Products. Has anyone purchased a rail set from them? If so, how was the fit / quality?

Yes No Thank
Bandersnatch Avatar
Bandersnatch Larry Wheeler
Hillsboro, OR, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA "Rosie 2"
I was able to reuse my metal corners (with some filler) but the rest of the rails (the wooden ones) were purchased from Moss. All seemed to fit adequately except the rear cockpit rail, it was not curved properly and would have taken quite a bit of cutting and gluing to use it. The one I purchased from Cecelia at Scarborough Faire fit much better.

Do you know why the British don't make computers? They can't figure out how to make them leak oil!

Yes No Thank
gjesion Avatar
gjesion Jerry Jesion
Woodhaven, MI, USA   USA
Larry,
I got a convertible top bow from them a few years ago and the fit and finish for my 59 was perfect.

Regards,
Jerry

Yes No Thank
Aridgerunner Avatar
Aridgerunner Silver Member Bill Bussler
Montoursville, PA, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA 1500 "The A"
1959 Triumph TR3A "The Mistress"
Try Scarborough Faire. Their wood parts seem to fit better than most.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster