Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Hryser Avatar
Hryser Hansueli Ryser
Durango, CO, USA   USA
My MGA's brakes are working just fine.....for me. However, my wife has concerns that she wouldn't have the strength to bring the car to a quick stop in an emergency. I got her a rowing machine to strengthen her legs, but.......

Anyway, I wanted to know if anybody has installed a brake-power-booster ion 4x drum brake car and what the result was.

In case there is, I would love to see where you mounted the device.

Thank you and kind regards,

Hans

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Tbird Avatar
Tbird ET Taylor
Land O Sky, NC, USA   USA
There are about 8-10 pages of good info on Barney's site.

Starting here...

http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/brakes/bt200b.htm

and lots of pics showing different mounting options....

Yes No Thank
Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, NC, USA   USA
You are a lucky man to still be here. Buying your wife exercise equipment is like telling her she has a big butt..

Gary

Hammer: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate expensive car parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.

Yes No Thank
ghnl Avatar
ghnl Silver Member Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
Reminds me of Click & Clack's 'wrong answers'.

Question: Do you think I am fat?

Wrong Answer: I've seen fatter.

Has your wife actually driven the drum brake MGA? Drum brakes are somewhat 'self actuating'. As the shoe makes contact with the rotating drum a wedging action provides more braking force. It will be a greater pedal effort than the typical over-boosted car with power brakes but the pedal effort is not that high. Disc brakes usually require higher pedal effort (because they don't have that self-actuating effect) but even the disc braked MGA's and early MGB's didn't need a brake booster.

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-04 07:58 PM by ghnl.

Yes No Thank
barneymg Avatar
barneymg Barney Gaylord
(Somewhere in USA), Pick one (or more), USA   USA
1958 MG MGA "MGA With An Attitude"
The primary effect is less pedal force, and no change at all in braking effect.

Side effects are less money in your pocket, more time and effort to install it, less free space in the car, more future maintenance.

You can locate the remote booster anywhere you like, on the heater shelf behind the RF splash panel, under the dash, even in the boot. Mount securely in correct orientation, and connect with two metal brake pipes between master cylinder and the 5-way fitting (in place of the original pipe), and a vacuum hose to a new fitting on the intake manifold.
See here: http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/brakes/bt200b.htm
and follow green arrows for several pages to follow for more installation examples, function and failure modes.

Barney Gaylord - 1958 MGA with an attitude - http://MGAguru.com - barneymg@mgaguru.com
(Please email me direct, do not leave a PM on the public server).

Yes No Thank
Hryser Avatar
Hryser Hansueli Ryser
Durango, CO, USA   USA
Hi you all

Thanks bunches for all your responses. If I wrap it up, it sounds like a booster for drum brakes wouldn't make the pedal-pushing-effort any easier for my wife. At least nobody commented to have this booster installed and the effort is comparable to pushing the brakes of a more current automobile. So, I am no longer flirting with this idea.

@Gary: Yes, I do feel lucky that my wife hasn't left me after I thought that a rowing machine would do the trick.....he, he, he.

Again, thank you all for your great responses!

Hans

Yes No Thank
colynf Avatar
colynf Colyn Firth
South Yorkshire, UK   GBR
Hans
some of the answers you got reminded me of a joke I heard about a guy waiting outside their bathroom door for his wife who was getting ready for a night out.
She wanted to look her best for because they were going out for a meal with his boss and wife.
After half an hour waiting the guy was getting a bit worried about the time and knocked on the door shouting "Come on, we are going to be late"
After 5 more minutes she finally comes out wearing a low cut top plus some tight trousers and after doing a twirl in the bathroom doorway she asks " Does my butt look big in this?

After a couple of seconds of consideration he answers " Yes, but but it is a pretty small bathroonm!�"

I thought it was funny, but my wife? not so much!

Cheers

Yes No Thank
Hryser Avatar
Hryser Hansueli Ryser
Durango, CO, USA   USA
Hey Colyn

LOL!!!!! I love it. Let's see how my wife reacts to the joke.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster