Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
One of our members has a short-lived plume of blue smoke after letting off the accelerator. Before I talk to him I thought I'd come up with a cause and solution so he can mull over a plan of action.

Anyone care to forward a cause and/or cure?

The Flat Earth Society has members from all corners of the globe.

'30 Model A Ford Town Sedan
'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster
'66 Series 1, 4.2 Jag E-Type OTS

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Finally Snowing in, CT, USA   USA
Blue smoke is typically the result of burning oil; in my case it ended up being worn valve guides. Letting off the accelerator is basically deceleration, so more likely its valves/guides vs. rings, but it could be either or all. Time for some compression testing.

Yes No Thank
DevonMG Avatar
DevonMG John Russell
Okehampton, Devon, UK   GBR
If the engine is not that old and worn then the most likely explanation is worn/perished valve stem seals, which are letting oil into the cylinders on the overrun when the highest vacuum is created (if there's no fuel being ignited then the piston creates a vacuum behind it as it travels down the bore on the power stroke). https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/ch202.htm

Yes No Thank
Don MGA 1600 Avatar
Don MGA 1600 Silver Member Don Tremblay
Rutland, Rutland, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA "My Oldest Friend"
1962 Jaguar E-Type "Rich Bitch"
Mitch,

Blue smoke is oil. Black smoke is fuel. Letting off the gas with the throttle plates closed results in the highest vacuum within the engine and valve train. As such, you are either sucking oil down the valve guides due to worn seals or the crankcase is not venting.

Don

Yes No Thank
bobs77vet Avatar
bobs77vet bob K.
northern Va, VA, USA   USA
my money says is its coming from the top end....valve guides/seals

Yes No Thank
pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
Worn guides or defect in the crankcase venting system.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 7.6psi boost, 8:1 compression, custom "supercharger" cam from Schneider Cams, Mikuni HSR48 Carburetor, Chevy Cavalier 1.6 rocker arms, Maxspeeding rods with Teflon wrist pin buttons, custom aluminum cold air intake, CB Performance computerized ignition, Fidanza 9 pound flywheel, 1.44 exhaust valves in 48cc chamber head, matched manifolds, 2 1/4" exhaust system.

Yes No Thank
tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Valve guides. If crankcase vent, it might blow some on acceleration too. My experience, yours may vary.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

Yes No Thank
jonathan in mass jonathan eagle
weston, MA, USA   USA
When I had my head rebuilt, it had the standard seals and valve deflector. Brand new and no worn valves.
The smoke also shows up after the car will sit and upon startup. Thats a real tip off. I would ask if this is the case.
I replaced the valve seals with the new recommended seals and no more smoke and less oil consumption.
I used the rope method. Whole thing took me about 1-2 hours.
Jonathan

Yes No Thank
mgformechanic Avatar
mgformechanic John Arrayet
Montreal North, QC, Canada   CAN
if the head was rebuilt and the guides were redone in brass, they have higher clearances; if the engine does not have time to warm up on a short drive oil will accumulate in the cylinder when shut off. a hot engine will not do this.

run at least 10 w 30 as opposed to the thinner oils. Also if you are overfilling the oil pan, this will aggravate the symptoms; good to check the seals anyway. Had 5 MGAs, one with a 5 main bearing B.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster