Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tdskip Tom Smith
SoCal, CA, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
Need to make a quick decision on ordering a 5 speed kit (Hi Gear) and was looking for a sanity check on bump in the value for having one installed. The car is otherwise stock 1959 MGA 1500.

I know there aren't any guarantees, or exacting precision to be had here.

My guess is a slight bump but washed out by overall condition of the car?

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-14 09:53 AM by tdskip.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
RJBrown Avatar
RJBrown Randy Brown
Queen Creek, AZ, USA   USA
Those of us that value originality consider it a negative towards value. A modified car is always worth less than a totally stock car.
For it to be “worth it” it must be worth it to you.

Yes No Thank
copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Cold Spring, CT, USA   USA
In reply to # 3891469 by RJBrown Those of us that value originality consider it a negative towards value. A modified car is always worth less than a totally stock car.

I think Randy is correct, totally stock cars (any make/model) typically appear to have a greater value than those which are modified, resto mods being the latest craze. That being said, if someone is looking for the pure enjoyment of routinely driving the car, then a 5 speed (w/1st gear synchro) may add to their perceived value. I periodically curse the lack of synchro on 1st gear and consider switching, but I consistently talk myself out of it.

Yes No Thank
Bernd Kamenicky Avatar
Bernd Kamenicky Bernard Kamenicky
Altlengbach, Lower Austria, Austria   AUT
1966 MG MGB GT "The Red One"
1971 MG MGB MkII "The Blue One"
On the B it's a reversible mod, so no diminuation in value in case of the car later to be sold. And it's sooo much more fun to drive.
If it's reversible at the A to go for one!
Cheers
Bernd

Yes No Thank
dr5669 Avatar
dr5669 Gold Member David Looy
Campbell River B.C., Canada   CAN
Driving enjoyment is important in MY car so I am about to order the kit as well. Will keep the stock transmission as the mod is removable. Dave

Yes No Thank
Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Grube Guy
Washington, DC, USA   USA
I've literally given away two stock transmissions, as they're all but un-sellable, and God knows I tried. If you do the upgrade, finding a stock 4 speed wouldn't be all that difficult.

And consider this (and I know it may be hard to quantify) - however much driving you do in yours, factor in the gas savings and resultant $$ savings per year, and multiply that by whatever length of time you would keep the thing.

For my two cents, an MGA with a stock 4 speed is a strike against it, if compared to one with a 5 speed. But I'm nowhere near what one would call a purist...

Yes No Thank
barneymg Avatar
barneymg Barney Gaylord
(Somewhere in USA), Pick one (or more), USA   USA
1958 MG MGA "MGA With An Attitude"
In reply to # 3891458 by tdskip .... 5 speed kit .... looking for a sanity check on bump in the value for having one installed. ....
Responding directly to question #1, .... For some people it will detract from market value, while for other people it will increase market value, slightly. But on average, any increase in market value will be far less than the cost of installation, meaning it will be a net loss out of pocket. In other words, it's not cost effective. In very loose estimated round numbers, installing a $4000 5-speed kit in a $20,000 MGA will likely result in a $21,000 market value.

This is a bit like trying to fool Mother Nature (or expecting a restored MGA to sell for more than the cost of restoration). For the number of people who have actually spent the money to do the conversion for this "luxury option" (maybe 10 percent of current MGA owners), most will say it has transformed the car in the way it drives, and it was worth the cost on that basis. For the rest of us (the majority), no way would we spend $4000 to improve fuel economy by 2-mpg, even if it is nicer to drive. Of course we all vote with our money, which is where the majority determines final results, and on average, .... (see above).

So if you are going to keep the car, and you don't mind spending the money for the luxury option, go for it. But if you expect to sell the car any time soon, you can expect to lose most of the cost of installation. Finding a buyer who may think it is worth anything close to that much more would diminish your market window about 90 percent, making the car that much harder to sell. That 10 percent market niche buyer will know he has a significant edge for negotiating the price lower. It's only common sense. If it really was cost effective and would increase the value of the car by as much as the cost of conversion, then nearly all MGA would be converted in very short order.

It's your money. Do you want to spend it? Think of it as out of pocket expense, like taking a vacation, and you don't expect to ever get it back (because you don't expect to sell the car). If you do ever sell the car, the 5-speed is a nice tool to make it easier to sell or bump the price up a little (maybe and maybe). Just don't expect to ever recover all of the cost of the conversion.

Barney Gaylord - 1958 MGA with an attitude - http://MGAguru.com - barneymg@mgaguru.com
(Please email me direct, do not leave a PM on the public server).

Yes No Thank
Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
In reply to # 3891526 by copernicus
In reply to # 3891469 by RJBrown Those of us that value originality consider it a negative towards value. A modified car is always worth less than a totally stock car.

I periodically curse the lack of synchro on 1st gear and consider switching, but I consistently talk myself out of it.

Me too. But now that I'm driving an e-Type with a synrco 1st.... wow, it's a notable thing to get back in the A without it.

The Flat Earth Society has members from all corners of the globe.

'30 Model A Ford Town Sedan
'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster
'66 Series 1, 4.2 Jag E-Type OTS

Yes No Thank
Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
I put High Gear's 5 spd in my TC Q Special. This was a no-brainer as the original rear and trans are truly from the 30's in design and function.

I won't get to drive it for several more months.

The kit they send is substantial.

The Flat Earth Society has members from all corners of the globe.

'30 Model A Ford Town Sedan
'48 MGTC Q Special
'58 MGA roadster
'66 Series 1, 4.2 Jag E-Type OTS

Attachments:
VW steering col 1.jpg    53.7 KB
VW steering col 1.jpg

Bell and parts 1.jpg    59 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Trans in box.jpg    48.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
tdskip Tom Smith
SoCal, CA, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA
Thanks for the thoughtful comments, appreciate the responses.

Yes No Thank
bobnorway Avatar
bobnorway Gold Member Robert Ligmanowski
downers grove, IL, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA 1600
1977 MG MGB "orange"
I hear that Mitchell! I always say my A is like driving a real machine...where as driving my 77 b is like driving a Cadillacsmiling smiley I guess 17 yrs of technology will do thatsmiling smiley)

Yes No Thank
Don MGA 1600 Avatar
Don MGA 1600 Silver Member Don Tremblay
Rutland, Rutland, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA "My Oldest Friend"
1962 Jaguar E-Type "Rich Bitch"
For me, I totally enjoy the original gearbox in my MGA. Then again, all my driving is on scenic back roads that start at the end off my driveway here in New England and the stock 4 speed adds to the overall MGA experience.

However, if I had to drive on the highway to get anywhere or if I lived in the flat lands, the desire for a 5 speed would be worthwhile.

Like Mitch, I also own an E-type. But my E-Type is an early Series I and as such, it has the Moss gearbox (no relation to Moss Motors). If you think the MGA box is archaic, try learning to shift the Moss box
with a car that has 3X the power in comparison to the MGA. The Moss gear box demands excellence in the art of double clutching while accompanied with deliberate and planned shifting. When I first got my E-Type about 15 years ago, I truly hated the gearbox and wanted a 5 speed. However, over time, I learned how to shift a what is basically a pre-WWII truck transmission. Mastering the Moss box is wonderful satisfaction and I would not trade the Moss for a 5 speed.

Don

Yes No Thank
Aridgerunner Avatar
Aridgerunner Silver Member Bill Bussler
Montoursville, PA, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA 1500 "The A"
1959 Triumph TR3A "The Mistress"
Like Don and others, I truly enjoy the non-syncro first gear tranny in my A. The very short and precise throws are a pleasure.

But I have made a few other changes that make first gear almost unneeded. I have an 1800 engine with a a little over 100 HP and running the 3.9 rear axle. The car cruises nicely at 65-70 mph.

Bill

Yes No Thank
wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
....you might want to consider a MGB O/D trans either D type or LH...sure its more work but the advantage is it's all MG no ferrin stuff to apologize for if and when you sell it to some MG maven, plus you get 7 speeds...and a fun flick switch...AND it will increase your value...sayz me...smoking smiley

plus it won't cost 4 grand.........eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-14 06:09 PM by wyatt.

Yes No Thank
69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Richmond, BC, Canada   CAN
I think if your gearbox and clutch for that matter are getting a little worn, why not upgrade to a 5 speed in place of a rebuild. I'm sure you would notice a huge driving improvement, but I would only do it if you intended to keep the car for yourself.
What's funny is I grew up with cars that were non-syncro 1st gears, and even now driving modern cars I still treat them like there is no synchro on 1st.
Regards,
Paul

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster