AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
If it's the blues your leaning towoards check out Austin Healey Silver Blue. Just a shade lighter.

John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Triumphant66 Avatar
Triumphant66 Kent C
Richmond, VA, USA   USA
1956 Austin-Healey 100M "ParisieM"
1963 MG MGB
1964 MG MGB "Nanette"
1966 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8    & more
May I strongly urge you to consider single stage paint? The color pops much more especially in bright light. Looks much more like the cars did originally. Otherwise you are looking through clearcoat which yellows over time.

This was told to me by the restorer of my Healey 3000 and I am forever indebted for this recommendation. His restorations enjoy a national reputation BTW.

I expect this post to launch a thousand quips.

KC

My first LBC: 1969 MGB purchased in July 1977 in Richmond, VA somewhere in the Fan District. OO get in touch?.

wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
Kent C absolutely....been preaching this for years...for a myriad of reasons...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Gold Member Grube Guy
Washington, DC, USA   USA
You may strongly urge anything you wish smiling smiley But I'm going with two stage smiling smiley

Come to think of it, this is the first time I've ever heard someone preferring single stage ... Aside from the pop factor, what are the other benefits?

NSFW Avatar
NSFW Rob S.
Pembroke, MA, USA   USA
A metallic is a LOT easier to paint in two stage. Getting the correct amount of paint down for coverage, getting the metallic particles to "stand up" uniformly AND trying to hold a shine with a single stage metallic takes time, patience, and a practiced hand. If you can't get enough paint down over-all it makes for a difficult cut and buff as well. I've only managed two successful single stage metallic sprays, five complete failures and one with good coverage, but no shine in the end, on a Karmann Ghia. Kind of looked like a European Military Staff Car in the end. I'm definitely doing a two stage metallic on the Vette, either Brands Hatch Green or something close to LeMans Blue, depending, the MGA will end up in that lovely, milky, non-metallic Fiat light green with bare aluminum hood and trunk. Good luck ! Rob—

jgravitt Avatar
jgravitt Jay Gravitt
Beloit, WI, USA   USA
1959 MG MGA 1500 "Mildred “Millie”"
Why not use all the colors? Though I'm not really sure of the paint code! Lol!!

Attachments:
kg_psychedelic.jpg    69 KB
kg_psychedelic.jpg

hmac300 Harry M
Troy, MI, USA   USA
my car was vermillion red which you can no longer get it's an orange color so it was painted two step with ppg 2212 Chrysler color I've also seen it as hugger orange for chevy Camaro in 70's

Attachments:
new paint.jpg    40.5 KB
new paint.jpg

Triumphant66 Avatar
Triumphant66 Kent C
Richmond, VA, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB
1964 MG MGB "Nanette"
I'm no paint expert on application...I just know what looks better as a finished product.. And looks is a big part of painting your car. My second Healey is Healey Blue -- that is a metallic color and with hthat you must use two-stage. So there is a clarification.

Single stage is used on chassis so you've seen it.

K

K

In reply to # 3886417 by Grubeguy You may strongly urge anything you wish smiling smiley But I'm going with two stage smiling smiley

Come to think of it, this is the first time I've ever heard someone preferring single stage ... Aside from the pop factor, what are the other benefits?

My first LBC: 1969 MGB purchased in July 1977 in Richmond, VA somewhere in the Fan District. OO get in touch?.

Triumphant66 Avatar
Triumphant66 Kent C
Richmond, VA, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB
1964 MG MGB "Nanette"
Oh and there are 3 shades each of MGB white, red and green so perhaps you might consider one of the lesser know shades?...under your clearcoat smileys with beer

KC

In reply to # 3845259 by Grubeguy I've been scouring this forum and others, looking for a color I like. Mineral blue is nice, but the MG red, MG white (ivory?) and the MG green don;t tickle my fancy whatsoever (there are shades of red, white and green that do though).

I am thus requesting pictures of MGs, Triumphs, Austins, heck even Fiats, that might be a good candidate for my upcoming paintjob.

Paint codes would be graciously accepted, as would year/make/model of a color from a non-MG application.

I'm going with basecoat/clearcoat.

Triumphant66 Avatar
Triumphant66 Kent C
Richmond, VA, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB
1964 MG MGB "Nanette"
In reply to # 3886417 by Grubeguy You may strongly urge anything you wish smiling smiley But I'm going with two stage smiling smiley

I can spot two-stage paint from across the street, all shine instead of color.

So other than the color looking dramatically better, having to purchase and mix just one paint type, clean one paint from equipment, no yellowing of finish with age, and probably fewer coats of paint (I will defer to experts here) no other benefits really.

K

Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, NC, USA   USA
I like it better simply for the looks. Single stage looks like original paint and gloss over paint is too modern.

Gary

Hammer: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate expensive car parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.

Grubeguy Avatar
Oh heck, it's that deep deep shine that I love. A dark, regal red with clearcoat deep enough to swim in is what I'd love.

Older paint formulae rarely appeal to me, not because of any inferiority, but because I'm not a fan of what I consider flat, unidimensional colors. Modern stuff, with pearlescents or flake are what pop for me.

Tbird Avatar
Tbird ET Taylor
Land O Sky, NC, USA   USA
Unless you paint it Orient Red........ you'll always be wishing you had...........hot smiley

Attachments:
1596.JPG    69 KB
1596.JPG

Grubeguy Avatar
Orient red is too bright (nice color though). I like something darker, like on a '19 Ford F150 or Fusion. GORGEOUS shade of red, IMHO

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
I spent most of a year trying to choose a dark pure red for the Jamaican. Most colours had too much yellow/orange in them, and I wanted something like a 1950s Ferrari colour.

Settled on Imola red (BMW) with a close runner up from Toyota. I think that a stock MGA would look quite good in that colour.

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-05 07:18 PM by bills.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster