Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Gold Member Grube Guy
Washington, DC, USA   USA
I've been scouring this forum and others, looking for a color I like. Mineral blue is nice, but the MG red, MG white (ivory?) and the MG green don;t tickle my fancy whatsoever (there are shades of red, white and green that do though).

I am thus requesting pictures of MGs, Triumphs, Austins, heck even Fiats, that might be a good candidate for my upcoming paintjob.

Paint codes would be graciously accepted, as would year/make/model of a color from a non-MG application.

I'm going with basecoat/clearcoat.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ghnl Avatar
ghnl Silver Member Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
If you're looking for 'original' colors, see here: http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/paint/pt140.htm I do not understand why they never offered BRG as a factory color. I think it might have beat out red as the most popular color if they had.

Otherwise, IMO, the MGA looks best in solid, non-metallic colors. The body lines are so nice as-is that many modern colors are a detriment. All my opinion of course...

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-18 02:11 PM by ghnl.

A on a shoe string Avatar
A on a shoe string Peter Stevenson
Aubusson d'Auvergne, Auvergne, France   FRA
1960 MG MGA 1600 "A"
1972 MG Midget MkIII "Midget"
If the car comes with some historical provenance, I'd probably go with the original colour ... but it's your car, what do you like? There's loads of internet images out there that may help you narrow down the choice.

Have fun.

Pete

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
lokiufgator Avatar
lokiufgator Gold Member Mike S
Evington, VA, USA   USA
Pageant Blue, factory color on my 78. I think it's a beautiful shade but unique enough to turn heads. PPG knows the paint code, they made me a touchup pen recently.

Attachments:
20180121_155437.jpg    54.4 KB
20180121_155437.jpg

20180121_153930.jpg    84.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Snowless Winter, CT, USA   USA
GG, NAMGAR has a repository of all member submitted photos of their cars:

http://www.namgar.com/

Go to the bottom of the landing page, click on "all member photos" and you can quickly see the wide variety of colors by model of MGA. Its a quick and easy way to zero in on something you may like.

Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Gold Member Grube Guy
Washington, DC, USA   USA
Definitely not looking to stay standard MGA. I'm going to mod the thing enough as it is, so no need to stray back into the box.

I've cyber stalked about every MGA pic I can find on google images and related sites, but landing on a color I like doesn't do me much good without some sort of identifier. I read recently, for example, that someone defaulted to a Ford blue to mimic an MGA's mineral blue - info like that is helpful in narrowing down a range of colors that the local paint guys may have available.

I"m looking either at a blue or a red, but not the standard MGA red (my car's original color was red, and changed to white at some point in its life). There's a Nissan red that I like - it has just a touch of gold flake and the color is nice. I also like the color of a BMW Z4 I had - the color was known as "merlot." I took a LOT of crap about driving around in a "purple" car (it wasn't purple), but that color a little lighter would be great. I also found a 50s-era Mercedes 190SL in "strawberry," which I thought was gorgeous, as well as a Fiat 124 in a deep red that about knocked me flat.

Again, the devil is in the details - the identification or even the color code is what I'm after...

59mgaguy Avatar
59mgaguy John Terschak
Wakeman, OH, USA   USA
1930 Ford Model A "Jenny"
1959 MG 14/28 "Jessie"
1974 MG MGB "Oooops"
I've been trying to figure out a paint color for my 59 for the past 6 years. Still haven't found one I like. So welcome to the club....

Some colors may look great on other cars but when you put it on the MGA it really looks bad. One friend painted his emerald green (Ford) He liked it but it just didn't look right. In fact I had thought of that color and was glad I saw it on another person's car. It kept me from making a big mistake.

My 59 was painted with a 55 chevy blue green. My wife forbid me to paint it blue after seeing it for the first time. So chose well Grasshopper.

John

Rob Z Avatar
Rob Z Silver Member Rob Zucca
Camarillo, CA, USA   USA
1960 MG MGA
Remember there were two reds used on MGAs. Chariot red and Orient red. My favorite is Dove Grey with red interior. Elegant. I also think that flakes, pearls, and metallics look a bit odd on the MGA......but of course you gotta live with itcool smiley
Also, because there’s so much exposed interior on a roadster, the interior color is pretty important to consider when choosing the paint. And then there’s the wheels............

"Time flies like an arrow......Fruit flies like a banana"

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Richmond, BC, Canada   CAN
How about some of these colours; I had saved these pictures because I thought the colours were good or different. You definitely need to see the colour on the right car. I think only certain colours suit certain cars.
Regards,
Paul

Attachments:
56 MGA.JPG    72.4 KB
56 MGA.JPG

Blue MGA.JPG    75.1 KB
P5220016.JPG    63 KB
Spot lights.jpg    62 KB
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
GRUBE: I actually have had people come outside from their shops to take a look, AND ASK. "What kind of car is that" White, Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, BORING> Be Bold, Make a statement. it's only paint. . ?????

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:

Attachments:
MY MGBGT AND LAMP 005.jpg    54.3 KB
MY MGBGT AND LAMP 005.jpg

Side view MGBGTS 004.jpg    59.1 KB
Dave Finished 002.jpg    52.3 KB
69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Richmond, BC, Canada   CAN
Here are 4 more colours but I ran out of MGA pictures.
Regards,
Paul

Attachments:
P1010452.JPG    96.7 KB
P1010452.JPG

1st Choice Blue GT6 +.jpg    20.8 KB
3rd Choice Silver Fern GT6.jpg    43.7 KB
68_Triumph_GT6_DV-07_Bossa_02[1].jpg    46.6 KB
Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
I went with a Pearlcoat Blue color that "pops" in the sunlight! I have received many compliments on the color.

Attachments:
1958_MG_MGA_1500_Blue_Steven_Stockham_001.jpg    62.6 KB
1958_MG_MGA_1500_Blue_Steven_Stockham_001.jpg

59 Small Block Silver Member David Heye
Algona, WA, USA   USA
Hi Steven, I had already seen a picture of your car while searching paint colors and loved the Blue. It really does Pop. Would you mind telling me the paint brand and code number?

Thanks, Dave

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3845444 by Rob Z Remember there were two reds used on MGAs. Chariot red and Orient red. My favorite is Dove Grey with red interior. Elegant. I also think that flakes, pearls, and metallics look a bit odd on the MGA......but of course you gotta live with itcool smiley
Also, because there’s so much exposed interior on a roadster, the interior color is pretty important to consider when choosing the paint. And then there’s the wheels............
II think the great is elegant as well..........but my wife hates grey anything!
I always wanted a BRG sports car!
And let's not even get started on the wheels???????eye rolling smiley
Brian

1954 MGTF 1800
1962 MGA MKII

Monaco Richard W
Hobart, Tas, Australia   AUS
2018 Range Rover “Firenze Red” is a great color.

Attachments:
4DC6913D-8AEA-41B7-B897-18E6AE8B6948.jpeg    10.9 KB
4DC6913D-8AEA-41B7-B897-18E6AE8B6948.jpeg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster