AutoShrine Sponsor

SteveZBMagnette Avatar
SteveZBMagnette Gold Member Steven Hanegan
Lake Forest Park, WA, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette "Zeebee"
1962 MG MGA MkII "Arthur"
1969 MG MGB GT "The Black Russian"
1970 MG MGB "50/50"
The lady who I restored this '57 Magnette for went with early 2000's Jaguar "Mistletoe" over "Evergreen" (also early 200's Jag). I was a bit put off until I saw the colors on the car - the combination draws raves from whoever sees it.

She paired this with a light tan interior

( a Magnette is just an MGA with 500 pounds worth of extra doors eh?)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1087.JPG    67.7 KB
IMG_1087.JPG

IMG_1093.JPG    62.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_1103.JPG    54.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Gold Member Grube Guy
Washington, DC, USA   USA
That's a nice color combo

wyatt Avatar
wyatt Silver Member Wyatt W
penguin point, drift ice, Antarctica   ATA
..really nice...and well done

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SteveZBMagnette Avatar
SteveZBMagnette Gold Member Steven Hanegan
Lake Forest Park, WA, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette "Zeebee"
1962 MG MGA MkII "Arthur"
1969 MG MGB GT "The Black Russian"
1970 MG MGB "50/50"
Both colors are a very light & subtle metallic - subtle enough not to stand out or look too modern I think.

Redhawk1689 Avatar
Redhawk1689 Gold Member Steven Stockham
Salina, KS, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA 1500 "Belle"
Ohhhhh yeah! That's a nice combination!

I'm going to go out on a limb here but I really am not a big fan of most of the original colors that were on the MGA! Don't get me wrong, if the car is painted in original colors, that's great! It's just that there are a plethora of colors that have been used in the last 60+ years that look pretty d*mn good (IMHO) on an MGA! I have seen gorgeous MGAs that sport shades of colors (and yes, some are metallic/pearlescent) that the Brits at BMC had never dreamed of, let alone, dared to try! (Oh, and NO, I would agree wholeheartedly that Pac-Man Yellow doesn't really work on an MGA!) That being said, darker, muted colors of the spectrum seem to be aesthetically more "acceptable" than the lighter pastel colors (i.e. maroon vs pink or BRG vs mint green.) There will always be some colors that just don't seem to fit the MGA profile: Plum Crazy Purple being an excellent example.

As to the single vs base coat / clear coat (or even tri-coat), there are pros and cons to both. The "yellowing" of the clear coat is something I don't see because I take care of my car and it doesn't stay out in the sun. How long does "age yellowing" of the clear coat take before it's noticeable? Too much shine? Is there such a thing?? confused smiley (Well, to each his own...) Find what you like!! It's your car and, ultimately, your decision!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-06 10:07 AM by Redhawk1689.

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Richmond, BC, Canada   CAN
Beautiful vera-tone Magnette, both the paint colours and the finish. Quite a rare car for this side of the pond?

Regards,
Paul

Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Gold Member Grube Guy
Washington, DC, USA   USA
In reply to # 3886939 by Redhawk1689 I'm going to go out on a limb here but I really am not a big fan of most of the original colors that were on the MGA!

Yeah, I'm on that limb next to you. MGA Mineral Blue, with some pearl in it, would blow my doors off. As is, … well … it's a nice color too.

I know folks tend to upchuck when hearing this, but modern Fords have a line of colors that are damned respectable. That red on F150s and Explorers I keep mentioning is stunning.

1960healey Avatar
1960healey Larry Sanata
Delaware, OH, USA   USA
Here's a great source for MG colors... http://www.teglerizer.com/mgcolors.

Larry Sanata
Publisher
North American Classic MG magazine

740-917-5759
classicmgmagazine@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/ClassicMGMagazine

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster