Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bugeyed Avatar
bugeyed Peter Braun
Southport, NC, USA   USA
I am asking a question here for a friend of a friend, because I am already registered here even tho I normally hang out in the Austin Healey area.

Anyway - it all has to do with the grill of a 1962 MGA. I understand they are different - sort of flatter. Does anyone have any pictures they could share that show this difference compared to other years? Is this the only year A that has this type grill? Are they available?
Any help would be appreciated!
Motor safe!

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Midlothian, TX, USA   USA
Available at Moss Motors

Attachments:
Screenshot_2019-03-09-11-08-13~2.jpg    19.8 KB
Screenshot_2019-03-09-11-08-13~2.jpg

Screenshot_2019-03-09-11-08-32~2.jpg    27 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
bugeyed Avatar
bugeyed Peter Braun
Southport, NC, USA   USA
That's just right! Thank you very much - !

Yes No Thank
copernicus Avatar
copernicus Nick Kopernik
Finally Snowing in, CT, USA   USA
You may also want to contact Scarborough Faire in Rhode Island. They produce a grill using factory blueprints & new press tooling; its always good to compare. Unfortunately they do not have a web presence, but their phone number is (401) 724-4200.

Yes No Thank
bugeyed Avatar
bugeyed Peter Braun
Southport, NC, USA   USA
That is very interesting as well - I have sent my contact the link to this page - and so I will probably disappear into the misty night.

Yes No Thank
RJBrown Avatar
RJBrown Randy Brown
Queen Creek, AZ, USA   USA
That type grill was fitted to MGA 1600 MK11 cars. Not all were made in 1962. Some were made in1961. They also had a 1622 cc engine and the tail lights were on the body not the fenders as earlier cars were.

Attachments:
image.jpg    31.3 KB
image.jpg

Yes No Thank
Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, NC, USA   USA
I don't see a reference but the top picture is the MK II grill.

Gary

Hammer: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate expensive car parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.

Yes No Thank
Pawtucket, RI, USA   USA
Dear Peter,

Just to let you know, only the inner guts of the MK2 Grille are different from the earlier 'flat' style grilles. The MG badge, outer grille shell and false nose are the same and interchangeable with the other grilles. So....if you do have an original 1600Mk2 grille but has a damaged or bad outer grille shell, you can take it apart and get these parts from the earlier style grille.

The Mk2 Grille slats are shorter to fit the recessed stainless steel shelf insert.
Does your friend actually have a 1962 Model MGA, or do they want it for an earlier model, or is it fitted to an earlier model? Some people like the look of the later MK2 grilles and fit it to other earlier year MGA models.

Cecelia
SCARBOROUGH FAIRE

Yes No Thank
bugeyed Avatar
bugeyed Peter Braun
Southport, NC, USA   USA
Thanks Cecilia!

I do appreciate you taking the time to add that info to this thread. My new friend here in NC does have an original 62 MGA.
He has the correct grill .
I actually started this for a friend in CT area who asked about these grills for a friend of his. I am not clear about his needs but he knows about this discussion and hopefully all his questions have been answered.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster