AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

NSFW Avatar
NSFW Rob S.
Pembroke, MA, USA   USA
Hood pad kit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MGA-Hood-Liner-Heat-Shield-With-or-Without-MG-Emblem-/302408262829

Well . . . color me DAMNED impressed and concerned over nothing, that just looks gorgeous !

With such a "modern" color, you might want to shift away from the wide whites and look at some chromed wires with some nice name brand black walls with prominent (NOT white) lettering on the sides, Cooper, Michelin, Avon, or buy some "DUNLOP" glue on tire letters and pant them black for the perfect touch. I'm leaning in this direction currently. but then I'm trying to build a "unicorn."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TIRE-LETTERS-DUNLOP-1-50-For-14-15-16-Wheels-8-Permanent-Sticker/192203479196?hash=item2cc038589c:g:~AkAAOSw~3paV7p5:rk:1:pf:0

You want it to look like a vintage British sports car, not a diminutive Buick Roadmaster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 11:44 AM by NSFW.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
brucemann Avatar
brucemann Silver Member Bruce Mann
White Lake, MI, USA   USA
1952 MG TD "Little Black"
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Little Red"
1962 MG MGA MkII
seriously

Bruce Mann

Grubeguy Avatar
Grubeguy Gold Member Grube Guy
Washington, DC, USA   USA
In reply to # 3889074 by RJBrown There is an aftermarket hood pad that looks quite nice.

Randy, that's the one! Yes, and I'm glad you tossed up the picture - I thought it didn't include the sides. I'm sure, of course, that you know you have saved me a few hours of cutting/buffing, and I offer a beer of my choice (Old Milwaukee, or Natty Lite)(nothing but the best for me) as recompense.

Keep up with these pearls of wisdom, man - I'm relying on you.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Grubeguy Avatar
In reply to # 3889095 by NSFW Well . . . color me DAMNED impressed and concerned over nothing, that just looks gorgeous !

With such a "modern" color, you might want to shift away from the wide whites and look at some chromed wires with some nice name brand black walls with prominent (NOT white) lettering on the sides, Cooper, Michelin, Avon, or buy some "DUNLOP" glue on tire letters and pant them black for the perfect touch. I'm leaning in this direction currently. but then I'm trying to build a "unicorn."

This is something I'm no-kidding exploring on a time permitting basis. I can quote tons of body and paint related sites and best practices, etc, but I'm a novice at tires. Mr. Tire and I go waaaaaaaaaay back, but I'm sure there are other options. I'm not sure if wide white walls would look good with this color I've chosen... And aside from Moss, I have zero website knowledge for wheels and the differing number of spokes. I might get there in another three years winking smiley

vdubmga Avatar
vdubmga v wasem
46N1165W, WA, USA   USA
1924 Other Not Listed "1924 Cat 2-ton"
1961 MG MGA 1600
1967 MG MGB GT
That after market hood pad does indeed look nice for just $100 bucks.

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Richmond, BC, Canada   CAN
Hey Grube,

With that light colour you have to have black wall tires, and possibly black or anthracite wheels, black accents and interior will make a great contrast for that colour.

Just my thoughts,
Regards,
Paul

Grubeguy Avatar
Black wheels maybe - I've got grey spokes currently, but I plan to strip and recoat them. Black interior has zero chance with me actually. I was thinking about silver or something. Maybe even a teal ...

Richas Avatar
Richas Rich S
Portland, OR, USA   USA
You are painting! That is exciting!!! I am following closely.

Rich

Grubeguy Avatar
I am, yes smiling smiley May be doing inner parts of doors today, depending how much time I can get to do it. If not today then tomorrow, and then the rest of the car (tub and outer portions of doors, hood/trunk lid and fenders). Exciting, to say the least. Gratifying too!

Grubeguy Avatar
I spent a couple hours on the "innards" of the doors - the portions that would be seen with the doors open only. I'm doing almost zero prep work effort against the innards themselves, the areas that would be hidden with the beauty panel on. I've also stripped and reprimed the tail light housings.

Before I started in though, I took a few mins to sweep the floor - the amount of dust that I gathered up was prodigious - this was all dried, aerosolizeded paint and is a GREAT reason to wear some sort of breathing protection while painting.

See the video at

Attachments:
20190211_171915.jpg    17.4 KB
20190211_171915.jpg

20190211_174605.jpg    47.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20190211_185634.jpg    41.2 KB
20190211_185708.jpg    65 KB
Grubeguy Avatar
An evening well spent, if not unenthusiastically so. It took me all of ten minutes per door to prep the important/seeable bits for paint, another five to reprime (in grey) the tail light plinths, and then another two hours sealing off the trunk and engine bay so I could paint the body without marring the paint I already put down. I've taped over all the fender bolt holes as well, and will likely paint the inner door bits tomorrow evening, with the body and everything else Friday or Saturday. I still have to come up with a scheme to put up fenders, plus hood and trunk lids, as well as my sebring valences, all so I can spray them with the same common batch of paint. And I'm likely to buy more clear coat as well - the stuff I've put down has been pretty thick, thick enough at least to sand down where I need to (when I need to).

And after looking closely at the trunk, I'm thinking about respraying a couple of sections because of the way the solids laid down.

Attachments:
20190212_182910.jpg    36.2 KB
20190212_182910.jpg

20190212_182917.jpg    35.9 KB
20190212_182927.jpg    33.7 KB
20190212_184110.jpg    26.7 KB
20190212_184116.jpg    26.5 KB
20190212_185407.jpg    32.6 KB
20190212_193010.jpg    36.5 KB
20190212_193016.jpg    38.4 KB
20190212_195059.jpg    33.3 KB
Grubeguy Avatar
Inner doors are done, and they look freakin great! I find that I tend to mix too much paint, likely fearing having too little and thus the potential of a mismatched batch. Today being Wednesday, I'll let this cure for a few days, likely till Sunday, and then paint the body and remainder of things. I also have to come up with a strategy to hang these body bits off the floor while they get painted. God I love doing this stuff...

See the video at

Attachments:
20190213_180230.jpg    45.2 KB
20190213_180230.jpg

20190213_184100.jpg    40.8 KB
20190213_184110.jpg    43.6 KB
20190213_200012.jpg    49.8 KB
20190213_200018.jpg    46.4 KB
20190213_200024.jpg    47.6 KB
NSFW Avatar
NSFW Rob S.
Pembroke, MA, USA   USA
An old trick that you might, MIGHT want to consider . . .

When the time comes to paint the body, and panels you may want to hit the paint jobber and have them mix up a pint/quart/whatever of the same color and have that added to the remains of the gallon that you already purchased. Have them mix it all very well and use that to paint the body and panels. If there is any variation at all between the new mix and what you've already put down it'll be extremely slight and won't really show up at all considering how little of the car that you've painted so far.

This new mix will give you a lot of paint for extra coats if needed/wanted, but more importantly, will leave you with a ton of perfectly matched paint left over should anything horrible happen to the car in the future. Trying to match the paint otherwise for spot repairs, panel repairs, or to touch up nicks and such would be near impossible. Short money spent now will pay off big time in the long run. Rob—

Grubeguy Avatar
Bob, I'm convinced mom put you up for adoption and kept me when we were born. I'm convinced we're twins, given that I'm thinking the same thing and am taking part of my Friday to do it...

Grubeguy Avatar
I'll be painting my car tomorrow.

I spent, what, 7 hours or so getting my garage as clean as I could again. I swept walls, I swept the floor 4 times (and then I mopped it), and cleaned up everything as best I could in preps for tomorrow's Big Event. I also cleaned off all the body panels (hood, trunk lid, fenders) and the body tub itself. Before I paint, I'll tac-cloth everything, and I'll mix up about a gallon's worth of paint (that is to say half a gallon of paint and half reducer/activator) so all I have to do is pour another batch into my paint cup without having to take time to mix it first.

I'm a little constrained for space, as I don't want to roll my engine and frame out into my driveway overnight or otherwise. I have everything covered in multiple layers of moving blankets anyhow, so I'm not worried about getting paint on the engine (it's still freakin beautiful) or frame. So as to minimize potential color mismatch, and so as to paint almost everything that I can at once, I've assembled a suspended ... thing (what else to call this?), composed of 2x4x8 lumber pieces, rope and left over braces from an MGA repair thing I rigged up in the much long ago past. I even managed a minor blood letting, which auguries a successful endeavor. I'm going to have to be careful and patient in painting, so as not to drag my hose over a fresh paint job.

Two years and four months after I bought this thing and tore it down to parts, here I an now, about to hit a major milestone. "Excited" is an understatement smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley

See the video at

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-17 09:04 AM by Grubeguy.

Attachments:
20190216_204735.jpg    55.9 KB
20190216_204735.jpg

20190216_204738.jpg    54.4 KB
20190216_204803.jpg    52.4 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster