Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGBGM1977 Avatar
MGBGM1977 Anthony Piper
Mossy Head, FL, USA   USA
Just curious if anyone has tried Harley Davidson Constant Velocity Evolution carburetors on an MGB. Just curious.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
download (5).jpeg    27.9 KB
download (5).jpeg

Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Why? Just because they want to go the hard way? Mikunis have been sorted and some like the response, but the factory already went through the effort to dial in the SU and they will flow enough for a full race engine. Solution looking for a problem. Just my 2 cents. Dialing in carbs without a dyno and a lot of parts is no easy task.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

Yes No Thank
pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
Is that a Keihin or a Mikuni Anthony? Either way... if you can get parts and it interests you go for it! Looks like it has an accelerator pump which might be interesting. I now have a single Mikuni on my car but I have not driven it yet... due to it being winter here. It idles well is all I can report.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 7.6psi boost, 8:1 compression, custom "supercharger" cam from Schneider Cams, Mikuni HSR48 Carburetor, Chevy Cavalier 1.6 rocker arms, Maxspeeding rods with Teflon wrist pin buttons, custom aluminum cold air intake, CB Performance computerized ignition, Fidanza 9 pound flywheel, 1.44 exhaust valves in 48cc chamber head, matched manifolds, 2 1/4" exhaust system.

Yes No Thank
73ThugBugg Avatar
73ThugBugg Austin L
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
1973 Volkswagen Beetle "The Thug Bug"
1976 MG MGB "Blue"
1986 Jeep Grand Cherokee "Grand Swagoneer"
Haven't heard of anyone doing it, but hey, be the first!
smileys with beer

I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for "If you can fix it, you can have it."

Yes No Thank
MGBGM1977 Avatar
MGBGM1977 Anthony Piper
In reply to # 3902967 by pinkyponk Is that a Keihin or a Mikuni Anthony? Either way... if you can get parts and it interests you go for it! Looks like it has an accelerator pump which might be interesting. I now have a single Mikuni on my car but I have not driven it yet... due to it being winter here. It idles well is all I can report.

Adrian

They are Keihin carbs. HD has used the same one from 1989 up to the time they started using EFI around 2006. There are a ton of used ones all around. They are all the same except for jetting from what I understand. There is also a ton of Chinese knock-offs for less than $100 everywhere. I am getting ready to put one on my 1978 Shovelhead Harley and that is what got me to thinking about it.

Yes No Thank
Steve64B Avatar
Steve64B Steve Opitz
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
I have the Mikuni 45HSR on my motor, you get the performance and quick throttle response of a 45DCOE with the low throttle opening performance of the SU. If the Keihin has the accelerator pump of the Mikuni, then from a performance standpoint it's a better carb.

Yes No Thank
MGBGM1977 Avatar
MGBGM1977 Anthony Piper
In reply to # 3903092 by Steve64B I have the Mikuni 45HSR on my motor, you get the performance and quick throttle response of a 45DCOE with the low throttle opening performance of the SU. If the Keihin has the accelerator pump of the Mikuni, then from a performance standpoint it's a better carb.

The first HD CV carbs in 1988 came without accelerator pumps. In 1989 that changed and they all had accelerator pumps since.

Yes No Thank
pinkyponk Avatar
In reply to # 3903092 by Steve64B I have the Mikuni 45HSR on my motor, you get the performance and quick throttle response of a 45DCOE with the low throttle opening performance of the SU. If the Keihin has the accelerator pump of the Mikuni, then from a performance standpoint it's a better carb.

Is that a single 45 Steve? Got a photo?

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 7.6psi boost, 8:1 compression, custom "supercharger" cam from Schneider Cams, Mikuni HSR48 Carburetor, Chevy Cavalier 1.6 rocker arms, Maxspeeding rods with Teflon wrist pin buttons, custom aluminum cold air intake, CB Performance computerized ignition, Fidanza 9 pound flywheel, 1.44 exhaust valves in 48cc chamber head, matched manifolds, 2 1/4" exhaust system.

Yes No Thank
tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Scott S
1965 MG MGB
Is it actually a CV or just a slide throttle like the Mikuni?

Yes No Thank
pinkyponk Avatar
Keihin made zillions of CV carbs as found on Honda motorcycles. Mikuni made CV carbs too. Not sure if they still do. The accelerator pump would be a great upgrade over the SU damper setup.

Adrian

Yes No Thank
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
WAY BACK in the 1980'S I did two Harley's that ran the H Series carb like on the TR-4. I rebuilt them, new shafts and richer needle's. The two guys loved the difference. I was glad about that because they were wearing knives and chains and shit. smileys with beer

In reply to # 3902694 by MGBGM1977 Just curious if anyone has tried Harley Davidson Constant Velocity Evolution carburetors on an MGB. Just curious.

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:
Yes No Thank
MGBGM1977 Avatar
MGBGM1977 Anthony Piper
In reply to # 3903368 by tvrgeek Is it actually a CV or just a slide throttle like the Mikuni?

If it wasn't a CV carburetor, I am pretty sure Harley Davidson wouldn't call it a Constant Velocity Carburetor.

Attachments:
Diagram.jpeg    49.3 KB
Diagram.jpeg

Yes No Thank
Steve64B Avatar
Steve64B Steve Opitz
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
Hi Adrian,

Two HSR's on a Maniflow 1 3/4" intake manifold.

In reply to # 3903134 by pinkyponk

Is that a single 45 Steve? Got a photo?

Adrian

Attachments:
IMG_0294.JPG    48 KB
IMG_0294.JPG

Yes No Thank
pinkyponk Avatar
Nice setup Steve! What size exhaust are you running?

Adrian

Yes No Thank
tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Scott S
1965 MG MGB
CVs respond a little softer than accelerator jet/slides so a difference on personality. That is why I asked. I prefer the smooth response, others prefer Webers for the harder response. Some have confused the slide Mikunis as CV. I can't tell from the diagram, does it have any cold start features?

Steve, any details on your AC setup? Any idle boost? How much is inside the car?

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster