AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

zork Avatar
zork Gold Member Gary Robinson
N.ft.myers, FL, USA   USA
Would like to replace the top strip along the windshield. It looks like
just removing the 3 screws on each end will do it ? ? Or does the
entire assembly have to be taken off the car ?
Thx
Gary

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Gary, I think the part you are talking about can be removed with the windshield in place but to replace the seal you have to remove the windshield as I recall. You have to be very careful to use the correct screws on reassembly as the length has to be just right and you have to carefully watch to prevent over tightening and cracking the windshield. Pics would be nice to see what you are talking about.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

zork Avatar
zork Gold Member Gary Robinson
N.ft.myers, FL, USA   USA
here's a pic of the bracket I would like to remove. Do the screw hold it in place.
Is there typically silicone used to fasten to the rubber seal Would like to
remove it without damage to the seal.
Thx
Gary

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
s.jpg    25.6 KB
s.jpg

hoggie Avatar
hoggie Mike Hogan
Oklahoma City, OK, USA   USA
I replaced the windshield glass on my 69 a couple of years ago and I'm fairly certain the pillars have to pull out for you to remove the top rail after those screws are removed. There is an iron bracket that extends from the pillar inside the top rail where it is secured with those bolts. So don't expect the top rail to come off by just removing those screws. You have to remove the windshield, remove the screws on the top and bottom rails, then pull the pillars out to release top and bottom rails. You will find that they used a putty to seal the fittings, but I used black silicone when I reassembled.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 MG MGB Limited Edition LE

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links