Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

MG Midget Forum

Where are "Hidden" chassis numbers stamped on RWA Midgets ???

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

200mph Avatar
200mph Platinum Member Mike Joy
Winston-Salem, NC, USA   USA
My son and I are still trying to figure out the real chassis number (CN, or VIN) of our Mr Potato Head Midget... an RWA, US spec car.

The CN stamped on the R shock mount is incomplete... some of the digits weren't stamped strongly enough to be legible, and at least one digit may have been overstamped with a different number !

Are there any other places I can find a stamped CN on an RWA bodyshell ???

If you'd like to help us play detective, here is what we know so far...

Its VIN tags, engine, drivetrain, wheels and other bits are from an MY (model year) 1971 Midget. Of course, its RWA body shell was only offered from 1972-74.

We went through the "change points" in Horler trying to narrow its origin, concentrating on changes welded to or cut into the unitbody. Its doubtful those would have been added or deleted later.

It does have the welded attachments for the front brake hoses that began (intermittently) with CN 114352. It does not have the B post anti-burst door latches that began at CN 123731.

That narrows the CN from 114352 to 123730.

Further scrutiny of the number stamped near the shock mount indicate the first two digits are 11, and they appear to be unaltered.

So, the car is a 1972 Midget, built between January and May, with a VIN between 114352 and 119999.

We are hoping the body number might be a good clue, but... since the body number tag is screwed onto the driver side A pillar, there's no guarantee it is original to this bodyshell. That number is GUN 259333.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

MG drivers outlook:

. . . . . "Anyone going slower than you drives like a MORON, and anybody driving faster is a FREAKING IDIOT!". . . George Carlin

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Isn’t it along the he firewall? Why do I think there is a number stamped there? (I may be thinking of my old Javelin)

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
From the middle of 1969 the chassis plate was omitted altogether, the number was then stamped into the left hand upper foot well panel near the battery.

PM sent, please read right away.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Please note. that’s a quote from another source so I have no idea how accurate it is.

200mph Avatar
To be clear, we're not "changing VIN"s, which would be illegal, and yes, I've consulted the DMV.

The prior, out-of-state owner bought the car this way. The previous owner is not available to us. He replaced the bodyshell with one that had been parted out... a parts swap, much like using a new Heritage bodyshell. Happens all the time.

So, we have a choice to make.

Our VIN matches our car's components, just not the bodyshell, which is considered swapped in.

Our bodyshell originally had a different VIN, and using that chassis number, the components would be considered swapped in.

That seems more logical to me, and its much easier to get this sorted BEFORE we register it in our state.

So back to the original question,

Where exactly should I find the chassis number stamped in the bodyshell besides the RF shock mount ???

Please post here or PM. Thanks.

MG drivers outlook:

. . . . . "Anyone going slower than you drives like a MORON, and anybody driving faster is a FREAKING IDIOT!". . . George Carlin

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
The number stamped on the upper footwell panel is there. But it was a number used by the people that built the bodies and does not correlate exactly with the actual chassis number. From what I have read the footwell number is usually within 1,000 or so of the factory chassis number.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-06 08:55 AM by refisk.

200mph Avatar
Thanks Rick...

I've found a thread that dealt with this pretty extensively... https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?3,1548298

so now I have more places to look.

You are right, the footwell number is unlikely to match any others, but should help in narrowing down the range of possible numbers.
This would be easier is the MGE registry listed body as well as chassis numbers, but no luck there.

MG drivers outlook:

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Mike I tried to PM you but I’m having internet problems. I checked mine and it doesn’t have anything on either side, inside or out but it may have been painted over.

1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3886770 by GeorgeOhr From the middle of 1969 the chassis plate was omitted altogether, the number was then stamped into the left hand upper foot well panel near the battery.

I have two holes on the body in this position, on each side. Are these left over from where the ID plate used to go, pre-69?

Attachments:
IDplate.jpg    35.4 KB
IDplate.jpg

bleteaches6 Avatar
bleteaches6 Silver Member Lee Orphan
Bonney Lake, WA, USA   USA
Mike
Here in Washington if you take all the information to the DMV, they can make additions/deletions/corrections as necessary. Usually you end up with a Washington new VIN though, sometimes a salvage.

I had them change a boat title once because the manufacturer info was wrong on the hull vs the title

Best of luck

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In my experience salvage title hurts resale big time.

bleteaches6 Avatar
bleteaches6 Silver Member Lee Orphan
Bonney Lake, WA, USA   USA
No disagreement from me on that.

In reply to # 3887128 by GeorgeOhr In my experience salvage title hurts resale big time.

200mph Avatar
Well, this thread has degenerated into an unhelpful discourse on salvage titles.

We have a plan, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Time to close this thread.

MG drivers outlook:

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3887917 by 200mph Well, this thread has degenerated into an unhelpful discourse on salvage titles.

I’m surprised by your response. I only see two posts on that subject; three of you want to split hairs. Sounds like you’re having a bad day.

The only reason why I spoke to it was Lee mentioned that could be a possibility with the way he proposed. I brought it to attention as there are others out there who don’t know that a salvage title can be problematic.

You have to remember Mike that not everyone is as knowledgeable as some of us here, not to mention those who come in the future through a search.

I like to think of us as just custodians of the knowledge that we have learned over the years and it’s our duty to pass it on to help others out. I try to look out for folks as best I can; so did Tony.

I’m sure glad to still have Tony’s knowledge still around.

Sorry what little I had on the subject wasn’t helpful. I only had what I could find through a search of previous posts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-08 02:13 PM by GeorgeOhr.

1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
Mike, do you have the holes in the body I showed on my post, where an ID plate may have been attached at some period?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster