Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

baloo Avatar
baloo s y
Louisville area, KY, USA   USA
I do not want to start another "project", with dismantled parts lying around, waiting to be misplaced -- or maybe because I'm lazy and know the knowledge base lies comfortably in this forum....

So, I am presently into steering wheels, hunting and fitting wheels for 2 of our cars for various reasons.
I have accumulated 4 strng wheels from Pull-A-Part lying around, and have always been considering replacing my Midgie wheels with a 14" (maybe D-shape and maybe quick release).

Does anyone have the shaft size and spline count for a 1976 Midget? (maybe it's not even a spline fitting??)

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-16 10:16 AM by baloo.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
CountBasey Avatar
CountBasey Silver Member Thomas Basey
Brunswick, OH, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Opus"
I’ve been told my 76 steering shaft is 9/16" diameter with 36 splines. I don’t honestly know because I purchased another steering wheel that I knew was from another Midget (so I never measured).

I’d feel better if someone else confirms my math - but I’m fairly confident.

Thomas (Count) Basey

Yes No Thank
Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
this question comes up from time to time, and the information is not in any of the manuals, so I finally wrote it down when someone who had access to them all posted this information:

Steering column splines for both MGB and Midgets:

62-67
spline 3/4 by 48 splines
thread 11/16 X 27 TPI

68-69
spline 5/8 by 36 splines
thread 9/16 X 27 TPI

70-80
spline 11/16 by 36 splines
thread 9/16 X 18 TPI

+1 Yes No Thank
baloo Avatar
baloo s y
Fantastic. Thanks for being so OCD!

Yes No Thank
baloo Avatar
baloo s y
Thomas (Count) Basey:
“With each replacement of parts, my British car slowly becomes Chinese.”

Ha! Too true. Just cannot beat the price of their labor. No doubt, though, that will change, just like it did for the Japanese in the 1970s.

Yes No Thank
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
In reply to # 3906273 by baloo Thomas (Count) Basey:

Ha! Too true. Just cannot beat the price of their labor. No doubt, though, that will change, just like it did for the Japanese in the 1970s.

The games played with international currencies have something to do with it as well.

Yes No Thank
baloo Avatar
baloo s y
In reply to # 3906588 by S1 Elan

The games played with international currencies have something to do with it as well.

Ford assembly line workers get $45/hr entry?

Yes No Thank
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
In reply to # 3906680 by baloo

And Vietnamese garment workers get $0.30/hr. Or at least that is what they used to get. That has absolutely no relevance to the wages one needs in this country but some how it work's over there. Obviously something going on with international currencies.

Yes No Thank
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
In reply to # 3909641 by S1 Elan

And Vietnamese garment workers get $0.30/hr. Or at least that is what they used to get. That has absolutely no relevance to the wages one needs in this country but some how it work's over there. Obviously something going on with international currencies.

A bit more....Have you seen what has happened to those auto workers job's? They have all gone to cheaper wages in Mexico where those workers are now rioting Low cost products from over seas are fine for the middle man till the people in this country haven't got a job to pay for them regardless of how cheap they are. We will see riots in this country as well. They are now rioting in France because the same thing has been done to them as is being done to us. Meanwhile we can't seem to see the problem and are busy at blaming either the right or the left.

Yes No Thank
baloo Avatar
baloo s y
In reply to # 3909648 by S1 Elan
In reply to # 3909641 by S1 Elan

A bit more....Have you seen what has happened to those auto workers job's? They have all gone to cheaper wages in Mexico where those workers are now rioting Low cost products from over seas are fine for the middle man till the people in this country haven't got a job to pay for them regardless of how cheap they are. We will see riots in this country as well. They are now rioting in France because the same thing has been done to them as is being done to us. Meanwhile we can't seem to see the problem and are busy at blaming either the right or the left.

Yah, don't get pissed at me. I'm just an observer of happenings in the world, just like you. Can't do a thing about it, and neither can the present left or the right.

Change is going to come, and it isn't going to be pretty, especially for those of us who are on fixed incomes. As much as I dislike French politics, what's happening there is a possibility here too.

Trouble is, I'm well past my prime, so dealing with it is going to be difficult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-16 10:18 AM by baloo.

Yes No Thank
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
No, please don't take my response as being pissed. Just wanted a friendly debate and I'm sorry if I came off that way. I'm the same age as you and not going to see a change in my life time I don't suppose. The mass of people in this country are misinformed, IMO, and I'm just putting my opinion out there.

Kurt

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster