The all-new Front Page News Feed is now live   Read the announcement
MGExp

MG Midget Forum

What did you do with your MG Midget today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

davids0143 Avatar
davids0143 David Shorten
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
I drove in a very rainy St. Patrick's Day Parade with the British Sports Car Club in Louisville, Ky. My car is the perfect color!

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
Screenshot_20190311-223358_Facebook.jpg    67 KB
Screenshot_20190311-223358_Facebook.jpg

Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Boris 2"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
Good on you David,

Though a tad ironic The British Sports Car Club taking part in the National Irish day parade, but it brought a smile to my face and despite the weather I bet it was a good crack.

Cheers Johnny smileys with beer

Yes No Thank
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
I've gotten caught in the rain as well. Found that if I drove at least 35 the wind took the rain up and over me. Down side was stop lights!

Yes No Thank
Monrob22 Avatar
Monrob22 Robert Haugen
Roseburg, OR, USA   USA
Woke her up after her long winter sleep and my wife and I took her for a 40 mile drive to our favorite restaurant, soaking up sunshine the whole time!

Attachments:
20190316_161220.jpg    47.8 KB
20190316_161220.jpg

Yes No Thank
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Nice to see a spot without any snow!

Yes No Thank
Monrob22 Avatar
Monrob22 Robert Haugen
Roseburg, OR, USA   USA
Two weeks ago we had 12 inches! In the 38 years I've lived in Oregon it's never snowed more than a few inches and then it only lasted a few days. The Snowmagedon we had was very strange and damaging. Thousands of trees lost.

Yes No Thank
sean253 Avatar
sean253 Sean Heupel
Salem, OR, USA   USA
@Monrob22 - What part of Oregon do you live in? I'm in South Salem, and while I had an absolute blast driving ol girl in the snow and ice, the snow never made it past a couple inches. Curious what part of the state you hail from.

Yes No Thank
Monrob22 Avatar
Monrob22 Robert Haugen
Roseburg, OR, USA   USA
Roseburg.
You guys up north usually get the weather. We enjoy the little banana belt here. All is good though today will be 70 degrees and I'm going to tinker on my Healey project.
We were without power only for 5 days other outlying areas are still without going on three weeks now.

Yes No Thank
Monrob22 Avatar
Monrob22 Robert Haugen
Roseburg, OR, USA   USA
This is the beginning and end. Then more two days later. A tad to deep for the Midget.

Attachments:
20190224_173416.jpg    68.1 KB
20190224_173416.jpg

20190225_111435.jpg    55.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
CountBasey Avatar
CountBasey Silver Member Thomas Basey
Brunswick, OH, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Opus"
So sorry to hear about your snow. Looks like spring may have sprung finally in Ohio. Looks clear and mid 40’s all week, and the weekend into next Monday is 50’s. I may not drive the MG just yet, but it’s getting moved to it’s normal garage spot soon so I can start the spring projects.

Thomas (Count) Basey

Yes No Thank
Tony Dambrosio Avatar
Tony Dambrosio Silver Member Anthony D'Ambrosio
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
Time to check in. I have had the car for a few months and haven’t shared progress, or lack there of lol finely drove the car and first gear is Shot! Have the engine and trans removed only to descover the trans has taken a hit and has an epoxy repair at a low point. SO I’m looking for a trans don’t think I want to rebuild this one. Been spraying degreaser all over, gonna rain in the next couple days here in sac town Ca. So I’m gonna take the pressure washer to the chassis and get her all cleaned up. Anybody got a trans for a 1961! �

Attachments:
205814A8-F5AB-4802-96BC-4C094871CCC3.jpeg    51.9 KB
205814A8-F5AB-4802-96BC-4C094871CCC3.jpeg

55C00F71-21B1-4132-872B-A1C5AB255A2F.jpeg    53.2 KB
43B176C7-91C3-4377-991A-1EA94EA1BD48.jpeg    55.9 KB
Yes No Thank
sean253 Avatar
sean253 Sean Heupel
Salem, OR, USA   USA
If you don't mind a trip north or shipping a trans south, I know of a transmission in the Salem area. Just direct message me, and I will confirm and pass on the contact (we have a nice Midget community, here). Also, these are trannies compatible with my '67 midget.

+1 Yes No Thank
  Tony Dambrosio thanked sean253 for this post
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Should be a smooth case tranny for your "61. I have an extra one that is supposed to be rebuilt. Ya never now when the need will arise. You should be able to find one out there with no problem Tony.

+1 Yes No Thank
  Tony Dambrosio thanked Chas 906 for this post
SapitoPR Avatar
SapitoPR Jorge Olazagasti
San Juan, PR, USA   USA
Hi guys!, no doubt a smooth case tranny is the correct one, however a ribbed one from later years will fit. My 1958 Sprite has one, with the proper ( non matching number ) 948 engine. This was the layout when I acquired the car with 300 miles after a total rebuild; since i began using the car regularly a very low engage/disengage clutch pedal position was noticed. No adjustment in master cylinder did the trick, so after analyzing and trouble shooting , the main suspect was the slave cylinder which regretfully has no adjustment and had too much travel before the release bearing touched the pressure plate. A slightly longer ( by about 3/4 " ) push rod was fabricated and that did the trick , car has been working great for the last 5 years and 5k miles. I understand the car might have the wrong clutch fork , which hasn't been id'd properly as belonging to the early or the late tranny, all i know is it works great and the ribbed transmission case is supposed to be stronger, so planning to keep it as long as it works properly. Good luck!
Jorge

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-19 11:59 AM by SapitoPR.

+1 Yes No Thank
  johnnyw637 thanked SapitoPR for this post
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
I have used a ribcase trans with a 948 too. Works great. You have to use the thicker cast engine backplate as the ribcase input shaft is longer than the smoothcase input shaft. I used a smoothcase slave and had no issues with the pushrod length. The smoothcase clutch fork won't work in a ribcase as the pivot point is wrong, you have to use the ribcase fork. The slave pushrod is available in a couple of different lengths to match the clutch being used. 948, 1098, and 1275 all use different clutch/pressure plate assemblies.

In reply to # 3911564 by SapitoPR Hi guys!, no doubt a smooth case tranny is the correct one, however a ribbed one from later years will fit. My 1958 Sprite has one, with the proper ( non matching number ) 948 engine. This was the layout when I acquired the car with 300 miles after a total rebuild; since i began using the car regularly a very low engage/disengage clutch pedal position was noticed. No adjustment in master cylinder did the trick, so after analyzing and trouble shooting , the main suspect was the slave cylinder which regretfully has no adjustment and had too much travel before the release bearing touched the pressure plate. A slightly longer ( by about 3/4 " ) push rod was fabricated and that did the trick , car has been working great for the last 5 years and 5k miles. I understand the car might have the wrong clutch fork , which hasn't been id'd properly as belonging to the early or the late tranny, all i know is it works great and the ribbed transmission case is supposed to be stronger, so planning to keep it as long as it works properly. Good luck!
Jorge

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster