The all-new Front Page News Feed is now live   Read the announcement
MGExp

MG Midget Forum

What did you do with your MG Midget today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

SapitoPR Avatar
SapitoPR Jorge Olazagasti
San Juan, PR, USA   USA
When my car was rebuilt, a NOS rack was installed, exactly what you describe happened, wouldn't return to center. Frequent careful driving solved the problem, needed break in, after a few hundred miles it was normal. Jorge

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
In reply to # 3899957 by davids0143 I didn't do any procedure to align the rack itself. Do you have any resources to explain how that would be done?
I have heard from others that these new racks come really tight from the builder.

Yup, it's described in Chapter 11, Section 16 (p. 221) of the Haynes manual (1990 Ed.), and Section J-12 in the Leyland manual. Too long to type them up, but you should be able to get one of these manuals, if you don't have one already.

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
Yes No Thank
davids0143 Avatar
davids0143 David Shorten
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
I had heard it would loosen up so I'm going to give it a few months and see what happens.

Yes No Thank
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
After removing boo-coo amounts of snow from the out building here at the ranch I finally got around to securing the mounting nut for the spare tire hold down. Didn't want to weld it in place over a full gas tank, so, I tried the JB Quick Weld instead. So far so good. Although they recommend a curing temp of above 40F for a 6 minute cure time. nd a few more hours for temps below that. Now mind you it was -20F here this morning, so I waited till it got to above zero to try this. It's now 2:30 PM CST here in the States, and now 30F. So here goes. Hope it works out! Pic attached.

Attachments:
DSCN0089.JPG    40.4 KB
DSCN0089.JPG

Yes No Thank
SapitoPR Avatar
San Juan, PR, USA   USA
Chas, this is my in house supply of JB Weld, best epoxy I've ever tried. It also works great sealing small pin holes on radiators, for me it has worked better than soldering in my original radiator. You might want to roughen the coat you applied and add some more as this is a nut that owners tend to over tighten. If it fails you might consider this square nut snap which will work great as long as the proper square is filed in the housing.

( a Dremel tool would be handy )

Jorge

Attachments:
IMG_1125.jpeg    49.3 KB
IMG_1125.jpeg

IMG_1126.jpeg    33.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
+2 Yes No Thank
  johnnyw637 thanked SapitoPR for this post
sean253 Avatar
sean253 Sean Heupel
Salem, OR, USA   USA
I learned that being in a rush in a cold Midget is not going to go over well... sleepy

Yes No Thank
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Thanks Jorge, where did you get that nut from? It looks like it would work well if my JB weld fails.

Yes No Thank
SapitoPR Avatar
San Juan, PR, USA   USA
There is a wide variety of sizes available from Amazon and probably in E bay too, of course you'll end buying more than needed, might also check your local stores, remember name ( cage nuts ) good luck!

Jorge

Yes No Thank
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Thanks Jorge, I'll research the cage nut and see what sizes they are. Much appreciated!

Yes No Thank
johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Boris 2"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
In reply to # 3900351 by SapitoPR There is a wide variety of sizes available from Amazon and probably in E bay too, of course you'll end buying more than needed, might also check your local stores, remember name ( cage nuts ) good luck!

Jorge

You can never have too many nuts and bolts, it's always when you run out that you find you need a specific size.

Have a great weekend Johnny smileys with beer

Yes No Thank
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Well, the JB Kwick Weld did the trick. Bonded like it was welded! I have a tire hold down again!!

Yes No Thank
sean253 Avatar
sean253 Sean Heupel
Salem, OR, USA   USA
So... I let my best friend and brother drive my Midget last night. He stalls it, and you could see the newfound respect he had for me, where none existed, then I see him win his 4th try, then speed off. About 45 seconds later, I'm seeing my car do things she won't do for me, as he glides into a smooth part, a mere 2 feet from his Dodge truck. He gets out, and the first thing he says, with a big smile, "Dude! You have got to try this!"... He then says, "Man up and get in the bi*** seat!" So, he drives her up and down Lancaster, turning back around State, and I'm freaking out how much he is trusting the drum breaks. It was a fun evening, and when we got back, my Midget already had a date as chaperon to an anniversary. Apparently, midgets are people, too.

Yes No Thank
sean253 Avatar
sean253 Sean Heupel
Salem, OR, USA   USA
On a side note, it was the first time I heard my best friend say, "Dude... I feel sexy driving that." We are a weird bunch that speak out minds, but I've never heard that one. He still doesn't think she'll make the trip from Oregon to Washington, but she will. I'll keep ol' girl and win her back. I wouldn't say she swings (her door hinges at best) but it was good to share an experience with my best friend that neither his wife nor my girlfriend can share in... X-D Honestly, I'm crying writing this. grinning smiley

Yes No Thank
davids0143 Avatar
davids0143 David Shorten
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Great story!

Yes No Thank
sean253 Avatar
sean253 Sean Heupel
Salem, OR, USA   USA
So, I made it back to my best friend's house, and my car has a new name: "Tink, Tink Vol. 5". This is in honor of our fallen comrade, Tink,Tink Vol. 1, a 1990 Toyota with flat spots on the tires, which made a an accelerating 'tink, tink', as one drove. She was a strong soldier with a lot of holes from battle, and Whiskey Tango Foxtrot was met with TLC and some AT-205. FUBAR to SNAFU, then to FM FUBIS, she always had my 6. BCD met the BFG and an LHO went to FM riding CFB... Still, on cold nights with a 13 degree incline, you could hear her distant mating call... "Tink... tink..."

Now, TTV5 (Tink, Tink Vol. 5) is apparently slated to be painted 'hunter green' in the next few months, and she has another comrade in arms to get her beautified and keep her running smooth.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1976 MG MGB Racecar

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links