Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

MG Midget Forum

What did you do with your MG Midget today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
The boots, lids, and seals are the same from '61 to '79. The prop rod changed somewhere towards the end, but the seals are the same. $25 USD = 19.43 British Pound Sterling at today's exchange rate, so not too expensive. Is the British Pound Sterling the same as a quid? smileys with beer

In reply to # 3890013 by johnnyw637 May well Rick,

But like Moss it only comes in one size fits all and I guess it might be perfect for later models just not mine at 30 quid plus shipping to UK and that I need it within the month I won't risk just yet,
but thank you very much for the suggestion. I might ring the Sprite and Midget Club tomorrow and see what they say as they are an organisation I haven't tried.

Thanks once again Johnny

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Johnny, I bought a boot seal from Moss last fall. It sat to high as you stated. Then someone here suggested that I talk to Martin McGregor. I did and he said he had the right seal. It was a bit pricey, but fit like it should. Was $54 including shipping to the states. I'd go with him if all else fails in the UK. Jeff is right it was a nightmare trying to contact him via the web sight. If you need a number it is on the web sight. I'd use that route first. He also has original door seals too. I haven't had the need to upgrade them yet.

johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Boris 2"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
Thanks for that Chuck,
Do you know the time difference between where Martin is based and GMT?
For example I am sending this at 8:43 am (GMT
- 1hr daylight saving)

In the meantime the nibbling continues smiling smiley

Johnny

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-12 03:52 AM by johnnyw637.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
15499651447953948534847142869147.jpg    65.6 KB
15499651447953948534847142869147.jpg

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Success smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley

We just won't mention catching the paint work with the side cutters winking smiley

Johnny

Attachments:
20190212_101642.jpg    47.2 KB
20190212_101642.jpg

20190212_101654.jpg    57.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20190212_102827.jpg    59.6 KB
20190212_102942.jpg    46.1 KB
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Johnny, I think they are on the same time as I am. Central Time Zone. I think there's about 7 hours difference. I just got on here and see your reply time. It's 7:10 am here now.

JeffinMI Avatar
JeffinMI Gold Member Jeff Baran
West Bloomfield, MI, USA   USA
Looking Good Johnny. I probably missed it somewhere along the way, but why did you move all of the fuel pump system to the boot?, or is that the OEM location in the earlier vehicles. Mine is a 72 and it was all under the boot floor, other than the filter which was near the carbs.

Just curious

1972 MG Midget - Currently Under restoration

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Looks like the last pic is showing a good flush fit. That so Bud?

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your comment on looking good.
Firstly I love SU pumps and if I still had one it would be in the engine bay where it should be.
However, mine is a reliable but dreadfully noisey solid state thing, so when I rebuilt the car in 2017 and needed to tidy up the unruly fuel line, I took the opportunity to put the pump in the boot where the sound is dampened. A man of means and sense mat well have purchased a new SU and with hindsight I would. However, the compromise is not so bad.

Hope that makes sense at the end of the day all that matters is to get the drive.

And Chuck it's certainly snug.

All the best Johnny

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-12 12:04 PM by johnnyw637.

SapitoPR Avatar
SapitoPR Jorge Olazagasti
San Juan, PR, USA   USA
Guys' found the same lightning symbol in the horn push of a big Healy, although different steering wheel than Sprites, hooter seems to be the same.
Jorge

Attachments:
1965_austin-healey_3000_bj8_mk_iii_1548272622d565ef66e7dff9fimage60-620x413.jpg    46.1 KB
1965_austin-healey_3000_bj8_mk_iii_1548272622d565ef66e7dff9fimage60-620x413.jpg

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
In reply to # 3890225 by johnnyw637 Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your comment on looking good.
Firstly I live SU pumps and if I still had one it would be in the engine bay where it should be.
However, mine is a reliable but dreadfully noisey solid state thing, so when I rebuilt the car in 2017 and needed to tidy up the unruly fuel line, I took the opportunity to put the pump in the boot where the sound is dampened. A man of means and sense mat well have purchased a new SU and with hindsight I would. However, the compromise is not so bad.

Hope that makes sense at the end of the day all that matters is to get the drive.

And Chuck it's certainly snug.

All the best Johnny

Johnny (and everyone),

For whatever its worth, I've been using a Facet Gold Seal for years. It's both quieter and more durable than the little cube some people use on our Spridget's. Mine is mounted on rubber doughnuts where the OEM SU pump used to live. It has a twist-off cap at one end with a screen filter inside, though I have an inexpensive in-line filter ahead of it in the line from the tank.

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.

Attachments:
Gold-flow.jpg    16 KB
Gold-flow.jpg

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
While snowbound today the wife and I made a double batch of caramel corn. Much to the delight of the dog, parrot and me! I finally finished the restoration of my side curtains. All new hardware and replaced the old plexi glass with new poli carbonite sliders. Trying to hunt up a stowage bag for them. Put a wanted in the buy and sell. If you guys know where I can find one let me know. Building on over 8" so far with a predicted 12" by morning.

Attachments:
DSCN0070.JPG    72.6 KB
DSCN0070.JPG

DSCN0072.JPG    54.6 KB
Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
In reply to # 3890426 by Chas 906 While snowbound today the wife and I made a double batch of caramel corn. Much to the delight of the dog, parrot and me! I finally finished the restoration of my side curtains. All new hardware and replaced the old plexi glass with new poli carbonite sliders. Trying to hunt up a stowage bag for them. Put a wanted in the buy and sell. If you guys know where I can find one let me know. Building on over 8" so far with a predicted 12" by morning.

That's really a lovely job, Chuck.

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Chuck,

They are the best looking Mk1 side screens I've seen, can I send you mine.
How did you get the new Perspex in ?

Absolutely brilliant mate and you even had time for caramel, so both wonderful sand mouthwatering.

Cheers Johnny smileys with beer

Tveditr Eric EN
Indianapolis, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA
1971 MG Midget
Did you cut the plexiglass yourself? Or is their a source for pre cut plexi? Does Barney or someone else have the patterns to cut the glass?

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Thanks guys. A bit of time getting the scratches and dings out. Used the Black and Decker orbital Mouse sander with 240, 320 then 800 grit papers. A dremmel with jeweler's rouge at 5000 RPM then used Simichrome polish. Cleaned them with brake clean before putting on a coat of Renaissance wax and a buffing. The Renaissance wax came from the UK. Really brought out the shine and leaves a great protective coating. Got new wool felt in 1/8" strips and cut to fit the 3/16" width. One continues piece per panel channel. I had the poli cut 1/32" under the original size so they just popped in and slide with just a little pressure.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster