Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MGExp

MG Midget Forum

What did you do with your MG Midget today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I use higher octane fuel than beer. MG would probably run on it in an emergency.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Boris 2"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
So glad you are treating this subject with the seriousness it deserves Philip.

I take this as indication that you are considering the Resources post.

Kind regards Johnny smiling smiley

jimbvd Platinum Member Jim Bravard
Hopkinsville, Ky., USA   USA
Johnny, I do believe Richard is extending our leg with both hands! His position continues to worsen, despite the alleged excellent, and ( extremely )inexpensive, ale and wine. Hmmmm!

Richard, maybe you could fit out your midget with floaties and deliver said inexpensive delicacies to us! smiling smiley

Phillip, excellent recycling effort!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
joshuman Joshua Roberts
Sammamish, WA, USA   USA
Well, it may be sunny in Spain but here near Seattle it isn't. My dog is currently chewing knots of snow off of his legs. The forecast is for another four to eight inches today before it all becomes sleet/ice/snow/rain later tonight. We've had some cold and snowy weather this past week. Being stuck inside on a Sunday without kid's sports doesn't have to be a bad thing though.

I got half the brakes bled on the Midget. The bleed nipple broke on the right-rear and I can't get the right front wheel knock off to loosen up despite finding the biggest of the BFH. I'll try heating it up next. It was satisfying to see the grime come out of the left rear though. The fluid was all yellow and black. Gross. The homemade weed spray power bleeder worked very well although I need to seal the hose fitting with some epoxy.

I also fired up the engine for the third time and checked for coolant leaks. It started quickly once I reattached that ground wire to the transmission. The water pump and all the hoses were replaced a few weeks ago. Found one leak that shouldn't be too hard to sort out. The idle is around 2000 which is too fast but who knows what is going on with that Weber. The choke cable uses a safety pin to keep it in place...

The new clutch push rod arrived and so did my new flare tool. Amazon still works in the snow. I need to get a couple of flare nuts, cut off the existing ones, and get the other half of the hydraulics working. The old flare nuts are rounded and don't fit anything (nothing!) I can find including the new rubber hose or master. Maybe they are BSP? Whatever, that's where they need to connect. Some 1/4 pipe 3/8-24 NFT nuts should hopefully do the trick.

All in all, it was a good Sunday morning spent tinkering. Still lots to do.

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
In reply to # 3889561 by johnnyw637 . . .

And look at the fine weather I find myself enjoying now that hurricane Erik has taken his leave smiling smiley

Johnny

Okay, I'll bite. What are those strange plywood shapes you've got lying about the Midget?

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
No need to bite Joel,

As ever I am very serious and not messing around. The truth of the matter is that one of our car magazines, called Practical Classics, organizes a Classic restoration show at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham (UK not Alabama) every year. My old car is going to be one of the exhibits (before no doubt winking smiley rather than after). Anyhow as I will be driving the car up to the show, I thought it about time I finished that job that I intended doing, when myself and a friend restored the car in 2017. The job in question was to box off the fuel pump and make a false floor in the boot, so I can put essential tools underneath and luggage on top.

Initially the floor was going right across but as it is essential that I carry a fuel can I needed to cut a hole for the can to securely fit. Lots to do to complete, but today has been the first day that I have had the chance to work without everything flying in the wind.

Jim I believe Richard to have meant all he said about cheap good quality drinks in Spain.

All the best Johnny

PS Joel have I mentioned that the brew thread could do with a manufacturer of high quality bespoke beer paddles etc?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 12:50 PM by johnnyw637.

Attachments:
20190211_113003.jpg    58.6 KB
20190211_113003.jpg

20190211_112137.jpg    70.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20190211_113206.jpg    50.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Johnny, Do you not have a boot seal? I see the upper and lower buffers. Unless it's painted red?

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Yes Chuck,

It's a very saw point I phoned Moss to get the correct one. this they assured me that they had supplied, it was the correct length and the right profile, however, it is too high for the lip. When I phoned them they said it is the only one they do. I bought samples from various places and went to a local rubber merchant who could have made what I wanted if I paid for tooling and ordered 1000 metres. So all I can do is nibble down one of the edges which I have been doing slowly, but until this year I have managed without.

Now if you know a supplier who can guarantee a fit on a 1964 Mark 1, I would be grateful. But my guess is mine is a stop gap model and some of it is bitza, such as the Mk2 steel wheels, which I know are original as I met the brother of the first owner. Also the 1098 engine with 998 exhaust manifold and one or two other little things that I have discovered, usually when someone has an expert book of words that they hold to be the gospel.

However it is a must do job as it could well be lashing down with rain when I head off to Birmingham on the 21st March.

all the best Johnnysmileys with beer

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Order a seal from McGregor. His parts fit. Best to call directly, he doesn't do well with email.

https://www.macgregorukcarparts.com

In reply to # 3889969 by johnnyw637 Yes Chuck,

It's a very saw point I phoned Moss to get the correct one. this they assured me that they had supplied, it was the correct length and the right profile, however, it is too high for the lip. When I phoned them they said it is the only one they do. I bought samples from various places and went to a local rubber merchant who could have made what I wanted if I paid for tooling and ordered 1000 metres. So all I can do is nibble down one of the edges which I have been doing slowly, but until this year I have managed without.

Now if you know a supplier who can guarantee a fit on a 1964 Mark 1, I would be grateful. But my guess is mine is a stop gap model and some of it is bitza, such as the Mk2 steel wheels, which I know are original as I met the brother of the first owner. Also the 1098 engine with 998 exhaust manifold and one or two other little things that I have discovered, usually when someone has an expert book of words that they hold to be the gospel.

However it is a must do job as it could well be lashing down with rain when I head off to Birmingham on the 21st March.

all the best Johnnysmileys with beer

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Thanks Rick,

If he's supplied you one for a 64 that fits I'd go for it, but I did try everywhere in Britain that I could think of and the boot wouldn't close so I will finish off nibbling the one I've got for the minute as I said it's a saw point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 05:21 PM by johnnyw637.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
McGregor is in Canada, despite the url for his website. confused smiley

I haven't personally used his boot seal as Bugeyes don't have a boot lid. But others here on MGE say his stuff fits. thumbs up

In reply to # 3889980 by johnnyw637 Thanks Rick,

If he's supplied you one for a 64 that fits I'd go for it, but I did try everywhere in Britain that I could think of and the boot wouldn't close so I will finish off nibbling the one I've got for the minute as I said it's a saw point.

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
May well Rick,

But like Moss it only comes in one size fits all and I guess it might be perfect for later models just not mine at 30 quid plus shipping to UK and that I need it within the month I won't risk just yet,
but thank you very much for the suggestion. I might ring the Sprite and Midget Club tomorrow and see what they say as they are an organisation I haven't tried.

Thanks once again Johnny

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
In reply to # 3887429 by johnnyw637 Well Rick,

There's my commission out the window!!!!! GRIN drinking smiley

However, no fear Joel, I've just found a 1959 for sale in Britain it's in Bristol so a port your side of the country with links to the new world. The guy wants 18k but will take 16000 (£) so what with Brexit about $234.69

Yours N.F.I aka Johnny smileys with beer

Picture UPDATE BY Nefarious 2 seconds ago

Oooomph! 16,000 pounds is $20,578... that's just a bit out of my price range! tongue sticking out smiley

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
And there's me trying to raise the cash to get this new boot rubber with my commission Joel....... I'm gutted drinking smiley

Out of interest what do they go for in the States

JeffinMI Avatar
JeffinMI Gold Member Jeff Baran
West Bloomfield, MI, USA   USA
I used McGregor for my Triumph. Great stuff. Lot of different suppliers out there for the boot seals and his is the only one that fits. Not sure how he would do with timing that you need. I can confirm phone is best and the website is not always up to date. When I was struggling with the boot seal he sent me several samples in addition to the one he indicated would be the right one. I could have saved time as he knew what the right one would be. He is also well know for door seals in the Triumph community.

Anyway, just passing on my experience.

I like the treatment in the boot.

In reply to # 3890004 by refisk McGregor is in Canada, despite the url for his website. confused smiley

I haven't personally used his boot seal as Bugeyes don't have a boot lid. But others here on MGE say his stuff fits. thumbs up

In reply to # 3889980 by johnnyw637 Thanks Rick,

1972 MG Midget - Currently Under restoration

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster