Trunk lid fitment on 1970 Midget

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

phoffman Peter Hoffman
Miller Place, NY, USA   USA
Replaced the trunk weatherstripping on a 1970 Midget and the trunk lid sits high at the trailing edge. The latch is tight. I used the Moss version. The old weatherstripping was the original and totally disintegrated.
Without the weatherstripping in place the trunk lid will sit lower. Is this common and will it compress over time and then I can adjust latch more?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Get better weatherstrip

1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
Yeah , Peter, this seems to be a common problem and if you check the archives its been discussed many times. Seems a lot of the aftermarket stuff you buy is not the correct cross section. Some have recommended Macgregor in Canada for the proper stuff. If you are interested in his stuff, its better to call him rather than just checking his website. Its not great and its not always up to date - he'll tell you that, too. He's a nice guy, but may be hard to understand. Speaks that funny English! winking smiley
(This is assuming your trunk lid has not been damaged and it sat right before.)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
I had the same problem and the guys here said to get it from MacGregor's in Canada. I had ordered the same seal from Moss and had the same issue you have now. The Macgregor seal was about $55 shipping included but it's the right one and there isn't that sits high issue. They only accept Visa credit cards or personal checks. Call this number and talk to Martin MacGregor. He'll set you up. Great guy! 905-627-4006. Tell him the guys from the MGE Forum recommended him.

phoffman Peter Hoffman
Miller Place, NY, USA   USA
Thanks,
I will give him a call tomorrow.

Ashley-Hinton Avatar
Ashley-Hinton Ashley Hinton
Gt Bookham, Surrey, UK   GBR
Hi this is the Boot ( Trunk) rubber seal you need I have this fitted to my MG Midget Mk3 1969
At most places you will be sold the MGB boot seal but it is to big
I have lots in stock of the MG Midget boot seal
Regards Ashley Hinton

Attachments:
DSC00589.JPG    23.3 KB
DSC00589.JPG

DSC00590.JPG    14.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSC00586.JPG    51.5 KB
DSC00588.JPG    35.1 KB
Richard D Avatar
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
That is a good lookin car Ashley-Hinton.
I might need a grill like yours in the future. I think mine was in pretty good shape (not missing any slats) but I can't remember. It's still packed away in a box. I'm sure it doesn't have the center piece and medallion.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster