Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Hawkmonster Avatar
Hawkmonster Joe Policastro
Flagstaff, AZ, USA   USA
Ashely I will send the pictures as soon as I can drive to where the car is. It will probably be Weds or Thursday. We have five inches of snow on the ground and expect 10" more today. The interstate highway is a mess and the surface streets are icy coated. It is that soft, wet and heavy snow. I will let the roads clear before traveling.

But I will get you the picture. Looking at your picture I will double check but as I remember my left and right on are the correct side.

Thanks for the bracket picture.

Joe

Joe

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Hawkmonster Avatar
Flagstaff, AZ, USA   USA
Ashely sorry I did not take a picture but confirmed your brackets and the ones on the car were identical. So I had them on correctly.

However I have some great news. The lid fits perfectly. What I had to do to make it fit is truly amazing.

First I had to notch the brackets so they would slide forward. Second, I had to use 3/4" of spacers plus one washer to lower the rear of the lid. Third, I had to cut 3/8" from the body so the bracket would be allowed to move forward. After all this it fits perfectly.

Basically had to reengineer the fit of the trunk lid.

Thanks again for your help.

Joe

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Holy spacer-washer Batman! Joe, we need photos of the work you did. Absolutely sounds like a total re-engineer of the trunk area. I'm not sure my brain could have sorted through all that to get the lid snug. Photos please!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
Unbolt the hinges and see how the lid sits in the hole. If it fits, you have a hinge issue.

Methinks you might have MGB hinges, but I am also not a fan of VB since they dont really know much about the cars; they just sell part numbers.

I would be on the hunt for a set of used hinges since a spacer might help lower it, but the arc is going to be wrong.

The hero option is to slice and dice and weld the hinges you have to make it work.

Pete

Hawkmonster Avatar
Flagstaff, AZ, USA   USA
David it will probably be next Tuesday before I get back there but I will send some pictures.

Pete I agree on VB but then again it is not my car nor my money. I am just the helper. Those BV parts had British Hertiage labels on them so I expect them to be true to dimension and angle. However, we did buy a pair off EBay and they arrived. Turns out they were for the same side. Two lefts did not make a right. But I used them to test my theory before I cut up the expensive ones.

The fit right now is reasonable. So I will do a better alignment after we paint it. My next project is to test fit the fenders and the hood. Interesting I also had to modify the body where the wind shield attaches to be able to get it to attach and bolted. Someone before also drilled out the threaded whole in the frame and put in a insert. However they put it in on the wrong side. Interesting workmanship. So you can see this is turning out to be a real custom job.

Onto the fenders and hood. See new topic. Need some thoughts.

Joe

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Dumb question here Joe. Are you sure your dealing with a Midget and not an MGB? Seems like there is a lot of miss fits going on.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
It's actually a Sprite, according to the first narrative. Also, the photos confirm it is the back of a Spridget.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster