Tilt steering

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

pawneescouts73 Richard Grooms
Pawnee, IL, USA   USA
After 45 years my wife got her MG Midget. She has a hard time getting in and out of the car. Has anyone changed over to a tilt steering wheel? If so where did you find one. I should tell you my wife is 70 years young and going strong. Her knees aren't as good as they used to be. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
200mph Avatar
200mph Platinum Member Mike Joy
Winston-Salem, NC, USA   USA
It would be much easier to use a hub that allows for easy steering wheel removal, with a locking pin or ring. Wheel can be locked in the trunk when parked, so also serves as anti-theft device.

These are popular with racers and the JDM set... should be available from many sources online, or like Summit, etc.

They may not make a hub specifically for your steering column's spline, you may need one that welds onto the column.

Any local race fabrication shop can do the work.

MG drivers outlook:

. . . . . "Anyone going slower than you drives like a MORON, and anybody driving faster is a FREAKING IDIOT!". . . George Carlin

nonracer Gold Member Steve Codianni
AZ, USA   USA
You can get an aftermarket tilt column from Flaming River or Ididit , they offer columns called “ shorty” they are around 12-16” long . These are basically just the upper tilt part with a splined end , you would need to modify the mounting and the wiring ( it’s turn signals are GM based wiring) . U joints and a length 3/4” DD shaft would be needed to connect to the steering rack . This isn’t an easy or cheap conversion but it can be done .
You would also need a steering wheel designed for the GM based splines .
Getting the removable wheel would be much cheaper and easier you just need to be careful and make sure it’s secure before driving!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pawneescouts73 Richard Grooms
Pawnee, IL, USA   USA
Thank you so much Steve. The removable wheel sounds like a good idea. I will check into it!!

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
note that a removable hub will tend to move the steering wheel farther towards the driver

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Richard, as pointed out the solution of installing a removable wheel would be the simpler route to go. Might require having a bit of machining to make everything mount up.

I didn't see anyone mention installing a smaller wheel. I use a 13" wheel in mine and it works well for me. Slow speed turns or parking require a bit more effort but once rolling its fine. You can find 13" wheels from $50 to over a $100 on ebay.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Actually, Ice, don't you have a removable wheel with a smaller diameter???? Double, double check.

ice Avatar
No Dave, not yet! I did modify the hub for the wheel I have mounted. I did that to give me a little more room. I think it's a little over an inch that I moved the hub closer to the dash. I also have an aluminum seat with thinner padding on the upright portion (back) which gives more room as well. Amazing how these car have shrunk over the years!!!!!!

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

nonracer Gold Member Steve Codianni
AZ, USA   USA
You might lose the horn function with the removable wheel , I'm not sure about that though . You could mount a horn button on the dash

ice Avatar
Steve in most cases you are right. For my 71 I attached a 13" wheel, using the OEM adapter turned on the lathe. This allowed me to move the wheel and inch or so towards the dashboard. I also turned a cap to cover the steering wheel nut and epoxied it in place. I then mounted a horn button where the OEM vent control resided. Seems to work pretty well. My wheel does not have a quick release.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Attachments:
steering wheel pics 055.JPG    28.8 KB
steering wheel pics 055.JPG

steering wheel pics 056.JPG    18.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
steering wheel pics 057.JPG    27.7 KB
tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, WI, USA   USA
Or you could make your own wheel. This is the one I made for my TR6.
Note the spoke orientation is different for the Midget but that is no big deal when making your own. Also if I do make one I would make it close to the original size but would make a "D" shape rim with the flat side to the bottom.
You might find this interesting; We only had our Midget out of storage once this last summer. We brought it home one Friday and Shirley cleaned up the Midget for a show that weekend. She drove Midget and I drove the TR6. We had the only British cars with all the rest were American. Shirley took 1st in her class with the Midget. She drove it home to storage and parked it. That was the only time it was out all year.
BTW-Richard, Shirley is older than your wife and has had both knees replaced.

Tom Smith
1974 Midget
1976 TR6

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 12:28 AM by tomshobby.

Attachments:
IMG_1913.JPG    39 KB
IMG_1913.JPG

IMG_1914.JPG    35.6 KB
IMG_1915.JPG    40.7 KB
IMG_1921.JPG    48.2 KB
ice Avatar
That's quite a project Tom, very nice!

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

baloo Avatar
baloo s y
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Recapping what most people have said, the removeable hub is the easiest way to go.
ALSO, a smaller diameter steering wheel, as one of the "D-shaped" wheels (see pics below).
FInd a hub on EBAY: https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-240Sx-S13-14-300Zx-Quick-Release-Hub-1-5-Thin-Steering-Wheel-Adapter-Gold/371002583813?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
A D-wheel like this one on EBay (maybe a little too outrageous, but you get the idea about the clearance it gives your legs: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mazda-320Mm-Jdm-Battle-Style-Racing-Steering-Wheel-Black-W-Horn-Button/310667455731?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I adapted a Cadillac tilt-tele to our '56 XK140. It actually is not difficult to take apart and cut and fit. Tilt-tele came from a 1984 and later Caddy (I can look up the details if you are thinking about prusing this route. MUCH cheaper than Ididit columns -- I got the entire column for $100, but I'll bet you can get one cheaper from a You-Pull-It salvage yard.

Attachments:
s-l1600.jpg    69.8 KB
s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg    37.5 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster