AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Biggles"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
They do share some design elements with the Cortina, yes.

First, an aside: I must apologise for the mild rant regarding American priorities, sensitivities, and humourlessness. My wife was watching the news where the Hollywood people, that sanctimonious culture that revels in telling people here how they should think, have been caught bribing universities to admit their privileged children over those of common upbringing who actually earned their place. Was feeling perhaps a bit cynical last night, I'm afraid.

I still stick with, "Offence is the opiate of the humourless", though. Grin!

Back to Falcons, they were considered a small car here and had their equivalents by Chev (Chevy II later Nova) and Dodge (Dart was it?). Very much the average guy car, with a column shift and a rather delightful six pot. They were a natural for a 289 cubic inch V8 since they shared many of the underpinnings of the first generation Mustang. I also just like the look, a very earnest looking car.

I wouldn't mind a Cortina of that era either, same iconic look really.

Offence is the opiate of the humourless.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
SapitoPR Avatar
SapitoPR Jorge Olazagasti
San Juan, PR, USA   USA
In reply to # 3907664 by jimbvd Very interesting story, Jorge. I was intrigued by the part you mentioned you went to radar tech training. In '68. What type radar? I'm assuming ( possibly incorrectly ) it was on an aircraft. I worked on AERO-1A and AWG-10 radar on F4B and F4J Phantom jets in the early 70s.

Jim, actually the ones i worked with were ground radars, an FPS 67 range finder and height finder housed in two separate radome structures and of course an operations dark room with a huge plexiglas screen were an airman would write backwards on the back side, monitors were UPA 35. Suzuki and rider shown also the outdoors engine repair and Airman 1st class Jorge ready for action.

Jorge

Attachments:
IMG_1141.jpeg    38 KB
IMG_1141.jpeg

IMG_1142.jpeg    25 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_1139.jpeg    48 KB
IMG_1140.jpeg    35.4 KB
Yes No Thank
Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Looking pretty "strac" there, Airman First Class!

Yes No Thank
healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
Westminster, MD, USA   USA
In reply to # 3906926 by jimbvd Sorry to hear that, Tony! It sounds like your DOT folks were a little more idiotic than necessary, coating 60-degree roads. Hopefully you'll get some rain soon and wash it off.

Hey Jim - are you going to get nailed by this "cyclone" roaring up through the center of the country? Looks hideous...I'm hoping it doesn't head our way...I'm done!

Paul

Yes No Thank
Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Are you watching the Weather Channel again, Paul?

Sounds like the clothes-horses who style themselves "meteorologists" are getting people scared over the usual early spring lows that drown the Ohio valley again. Happens every year. Grin!

Check NOAA and forget the scarey Weather Channel, or are we watching it for the scantily clad trollops again (a laudable pastime, to be sure). Grin!

Hope you don't get flooded this week or this spring, Jim!

Yes No Thank
Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Looks like the same sort of blow we had here a fortnight ago, so know we're all hoping it all passes Jim as ours passed us here in the East.

Yes No Thank
healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
In reply to # 3908251 by Sarge101st Are you watching the Weather Channel again?

Ah, no, lol. I was talking to a former associate this afternoon...guy lives in Denver, said they were getting pounded, snow, fifty mph winds. He said they are on the western edge of the storm, headed north-northeast...figured Jim might feel it before long.

Yes No Thank
jimbvd Platinum Member Jim Bravard
Hopkinsville, Ky., USA   USA
Thanks for the well wishes guys! We are currently getting pounded with heavy rains right now, started last night about 8 or 9. Four to four and a half inches predicted. 40 mile an hour winds as well.
It was nice while it lasted! I was out driving in 72° warm, balmy air, top down, yesterday. smiling smiley

Nice twisty, hilly road to one of our local craft distilleries. That and the top down accounting for the silly grin! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-14 04:26 AM by jimbvd.

Attachments:
IMG_20190313_180510641.jpg    20.7 KB
IMG_20190313_180510641.jpg

IMG_20190313_180635684_HDR.jpg    32.6 KB
IMG_20190313_180250954.jpg    57.3 KB
Yes No Thank
Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Looks like the big bugger is going to hook around to our north, blow and rain a good deal less for us (the Appalachians helping). Hope it gets the rest of the salt off the roads, anyway.

Anyway, Paul, our being on the east and south as it hooks round puts us on the weak side of it.

Meanwhile, Jim, keep your head down and your feet up, mate!

Yes No Thank
healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
That's a look of serenity, Jim...hoping to be out there soon as well.

We're supposed to get a bit of rain tomorrow, but as Sarge pointed out, we should be on the leeward side of this thing. A proper dousing will be good to wash off the residuals.

Yes No Thank
Well, we missed the bullet in our neck of the woods. No serious damage here. Paducah, Kentucky, about an hour and a half west of us on the Ohio River, didn't fare so we'll. They were hit hard by a big tornado. A lot of serious damage.
Hope y'all did well, washed the sludge off, and can get back to driving. I drove mine to work today! smiling smiley

Yes No Thank
johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Boris 2"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
Hi guys sorry I've been out of it for a couple of days,
Had a lot of family stuff to sort.

Sounds like none of us has fared that well weather wise, we've been suffering high winds and much rain, with the odd outbursts of glorious sunshine (though with accompanying cold winds).

My next set of photos will bring a rye smile from some of you and just brick bats to myself winking smiley
This afternoon I took the Midge out of the garage, to sort a few bits and check my manifold repairs.
As I set about checking the exhaust manifold, I found the culprit causing my oil leak. So the manifold seeming fine, I set to work on the culprit, a perished gasket ( a case of more haste less speed when I fitted it 18 months ago).

Anyway that done now and.........one other thing the recent weather weather plus a 200 mile journey.

Johnny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-15 02:04 PM by johnnyw637.

Attachments:
20190315_145005.jpg    93.5 KB
20190315_145005.jpg

20190315_161321.jpg    33.2 KB
20190315_163240.jpg    47 KB
20190315_163215.jpg    66.9 KB
15526765257212698254117398217329.jpg    69.2 KB
Yes No Thank
Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
You'll get no static from me about the tent, Johnny. This winter has been long and raw; arthritis just giving me fits. I drove all winter under canvas; no choice anymore in the matter, I'm afraid.

Today, though, was glorious. Temps soared into the 60s and a trip round the Long Circuit in Piddles with the tent down. Lovely!

Got my SUs back from getting cleaned and starting re-assembly. Looks like April to tear down the outside of the Spit's engine, barring any issues.

Yes No Thank
johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Boris 2"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
You're a better man than me Brian GRIN smileys with beer

Yes No Thank
Johnny, that picture of you through the frame looks as if you're shocked to be caught in the act! If you hadn't posted it yourself, I'd think maybe the mischievous Katie snuck out and took it. Or did she so, post it herself, and you only discovered it after the fact? devil smiley

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster