The Perfect Road to Drive a Midget

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jimbvd Platinum Member Jim Bravard
Hopkinsville, Ky., USA   USA
We are having a beautiful day here! Took the midget on a very jaunty test drive. It is most definitely drive worthy! Will get to drive at least through Wednesday. More rain predicted for Thursday.

Brian, did you get your wash off?

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Boris 2"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
Glad you had a great drive Jim,

The pair of us appear to have swapped weather systems smileys with beer

Yes No Thank
Thanks, Johnny! Sorry about the swap though!

Yes No Thank
Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Biggles"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Jim, we got about 3/4" of rain Saturday night and the majority of the snow melted off Sunday. I'm scouting it out today. Grin!

Offence is the opiate of the humourless.

Yes No Thank
Good luck, Brian! Hope you have a good scouting report. I drove into work today. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-11 07:35 AM by jimbvd.

Yes No Thank
johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
In reply to # 3906672 by Sarge101st Jim, we got about 3/4" of rain Saturday night and the majority of the snow melted off Sunday. I'm scouting it out today. Grin!

Don't forget to put a good supply of ready salted crisps in the passenger foot well for emergencies Brian.

Cheers Johnny

Yes No Thank
tonyhawker Mahlon Hawker
Lorton, VA, USA   USA
1922 Ford Model T
1925 Ford Model T
1927 Ford Model TT "Henrietta"
1931 Ford Model A    & more
I'm glad somebody has driveable roads. I took the Midget off the battery maintainer and cranked her up. Purred like a kitten! I planned to bring it over and put a dab of grease in the front end but needed to replace my old 70 year old floor jack with a non-leaking low profile 3 tonner. Aught to do the job without needing ramps.

SO. I hit the road in the Ford and guess what??? 60 degrees, recent rains and nothing predicted this week except nice warmth. The main cow path was coated last night with a sand/salt coating! Not the brine concoction but the real non-washable crap! What the H is up with these stupid jerks who ignore the potholes and spend taxpayers dollars on salting 60 degree roads?

OK. I feel better now, a little, but not much. Won't drive Pee Wee this week I guess. As the late Terry Thomas would say, "DRAT"!

A perturbed Hawk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-11 02:40 PM by tonyhawker.

Yes No Thank
Sorry to hear that, Tony! It sounds like your DOT folks were a little more idiotic than necessary, coating 60-degree roads. Hopefully you'll get some rain soon and wash it off.

Yes No Thank
Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Lovely day today, and fired up Biggles the Spit for a scouting trip round the Circuit.

The smoother road surfaces are pretty clean, but the roads with a coarser surface, the ones so-called "maintained" with "oil-and-chips", still have a dust of salt on them. Bloody pie-crust paving!

I can taste it after getting back. We need another rain, I'm afraid.

So, puttered in the workshop on a project or two...

Yes No Thank
johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Dear Perturbed of Vagina,

Darn good to hear from you, I was beginning to worry that you were stuck under the Jensen with a slowly deflating old trolley jack.

All the best Johnny smiling smiley

Yes No Thank
Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
So, after some of the "Snackfood of the Airborne Forces", a spell on the heating pad, and a cuppa, its back out to the comfy chair in the workshop to tear down carburettors for a good refresh.

My springtime project is to strip the side of the engine in the Spit, now that its running decently (ironic, that) and get rid of the stock silencer, exhaust manifold with an aged-out cat, ZS and inlet. Might as well do it all at once.

I have, at the ready, a Monza silencer, a 4-1 header, and am preparing a set of HS4. Better breath in and out; should get a bit more out of that torquey 1500.

A certain Norfolk lad helped me score the home-market-only carb rig (Bless you my son!) so an experiment with the classics in the offing. Webers I know and love, so this exercise is done not because of any disatisfaction (I have a 45mm DCOE sidedraught rig here, too) but curiosity and a conscious decision to experiment. I intend to learn something, anyway.

This should be fun!

Yes No Thank
healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
Westminster, MD, USA   USA
Recently replaced the tank on bro's Honda 450...rusted out a while back and the bike's been sitting. He found a new prepainted/decaled replacement, so required no shop involvement. A relatively simple swap, but now there's no puddle on the garage floor.

A number of these projects have accumulated...looking forward to getting back out to the garage.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-12 01:59 PM by healey36.

Yes No Thank
johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Is that a CB450 Paul?

Yes No Thank
healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
Westminster, MD, USA   USA
Rebel 450, similar to this:

The bike is 25-30 years old. They made them in 250/350/450 models. The 450s are kinda rare. It's starting to deteriorate due to lack of use...time to move it.

Yes No Thank
SapitoPR Avatar
SapitoPR Jorge Olazagasti
San Juan, PR, USA   USA
Nice bike Paul, seems to be in pretty good shape,( other than the fuel tank ); i briefly owned a smaller version of a Suzuki motorcycle while stationed in Keesler AFB, Biloxi, Miss. for radar technician training during 1968 and needed transportation as I lived off base with my recently arrived new wife, as you can imagine this was not a practical vehicle for a couple w/o a washing machine/drier. Some time later the bike was sold and a beat up 60's Ford Falcon bought, which went alright for a while before the crankshaft went. With the help of some buddies who helped remove the six cil. engine in my side patio, a remanufactured crankshaft was installed and the car lasted until the end of training and then sold. So, haven't been posting much as the current topic is snow, road salt and rain, could send you some photos of pot holes in our roads which render the Sprite almost unusable or make the occasion a high precision obstacle course for drivers of all cars , specially the ones with 13 inch wheels and archaic suspension. Said problem is being addressed slowly because of a bankrupt local govt. I keep a positive attitude and hope somehow all problems will be solved soon!

Cheers, Jorge.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1964 MG MGB

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links