AutoShrine Sponsor

johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Boris 2"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
Thanks Brian and Jim cool smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
Westminster, MD, USA   USA
John - On the road yesterday, so I missed your acquisition disclosure. I would have to agree with Brian and Jim’s sentiments...well-played, sir. Quite thoughtful. Anne’s a lucky girl.

Paul

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
In reply to a post by On the road yesterday

Perfect answer Paul top markssmileys with beer

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SapitoPR Avatar
SapitoPR Jorge Olazagasti
San Juan, PR, USA   USA
Interesting Italian Coupe!

Jorge

Attachments:
1966_innocenti_coupe_15466221455c8966c489150IMG_1515-620x287.jpg    28.2 KB
1966_innocenti_coupe_15466221455c8966c489150IMG_1515-620x287.jpg

1966_innocenti_coupe_15466225550db8da87a891IMG_1523-620x413.jpg    50.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
1966_innocenti_coupe_154922359363e2fe1966_innocenti_coupe_15466219968966c489150IMG_1558-940x558.jpg    51.6 KB
1966_innocenti_coupe_1546622587489150619416-1000-0-620x399.jpg    45.9 KB
Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Biggles"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
In keeping with Paul's vintage racing photo, we have this one I just came across in my boxes o' photos that came from closing my parents house.

I loved Formula 1 back in the 70s, and have pretty much lost interest in it after that era. The team I followed was Lotus, specifically the John Player Special sponsored team. The car guys I used to hang around with also were rabid F1 followers in that era.

So, here is a photo of the venerable campaigner, the Lotus 72, in this case the 72E. No laptops, no matching uniforms, no ballcaps. The 72 started running in 1970, with Jochem (sic) Rindt and I for the life of me have forgotten the name of the other guy. The car was good enough that Rindt was the Drivers Championship winner, even though he died in a wreck at Monza. The replacement for Rindt was Emerson Fittipaldi and Chapman then hired in Ronnie Peterson. At the end of the '73 season, Fittipaldi left, Peterson went to lead, and Chapman hired in Jackie Ickx.

Then it came to pass the 72 was to be replaced, but the replacement car was a failure so the good ol' 72 continued to fight the good fight for six years, in modifications up to 72F. The competition outstripped that grand old car, and most of my friends started razzing me pretty mercilessly, though I stubbornly stuck to my guns. When I left Upstate New York, one of our mob gave me this print as a tip of the trilby to my stubborn loyalties.

Anyway, the photo itself. I believe the guy sitting on the shipping case wearing the trainers is Jacky Ickx. No way of proving my memory right or wrong anymore, but I recall the guy looking out the window with his back to us is Ronnie Peterson. He was a pretty tall guy for an F1 driver; later in his career he drove for Tyrrell. They had to lengthen the front of the six-wheel Tyrrell so they could get him in it, at least that was the story at the time. Unfortunately, he was killed (also at Monza) in 1978.

Jacky Ickx won the Race of Champions at Brands Hatch in the car in the photo in 1974, otherwise both he and Peterson had a pretty joyless time as teammates, just because the 72E was obsolete and the 76 didn't work. Ickx moved on in mid 1975 and Peterson moved on to March early in the 1976 season.

The 76 season also saw the new Lotus 77 replaced the plucky old 72.

Attachments:
jps1.jpg    59.1 KB
jps1.jpg

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Great memories Brian,

I had forgotten all about the six-wheel Tyrrell and totally agree on the JPS team, that black and gold livery made those Lotus look like winners even before they left the grid.

Of course both the race team and car manufacturing of Lotus was based at Hethel in Norfolk. The factory was built on the site, the former RAF Hethel bomber base, and the old runways were converted into a testing facility. The offices and design studios were based at nearby Ketteringham Hall, which were the headquarters Team Lotus and Lotus Cars. They also used another nearby ex bomber base to test the cars Snetterton race track a few miles from Hethel.

Snetterton is a place I was lucky enough to do some marshalling at, as a college friend of mine was the son of an ex Austin Healey works team racing driver and had arranged a Sprint on behalf of the Healey Club.
His dad took me on a test drive of the track, once it was set up, he did it in the family Alfa Romeo Giulietta (sadly not a big Healey), but it was an incredible experience, especially when we powered through a chicane and his dad said, 'well a little tight, but they should manage'.

Have to say that the Sunbeam Tigers gave me the greatest pleasure with it's Ford V8. That was the first day I had laid eyes on either a Tiger or an Alpine, but it's fair to say I fell in love with the Tiger, so if you don't mind I will put that on my must have lottery list along with the MGA.

Cheers Johnny smileys with beer

Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Lotus were very good at designing tracks on airfields. If memory serves, they had a large hand in designing the track at RAF Dunsfold for "Top Gear".

Yep, those were the days when F1 was interesting. I really don't know what happened...

healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
Lotus, as originally formed by Chapman, was a great company. They pretty much took the concept of the lightweight racer as far as it could go, and what is today's incarnation (owned by Malaysian investors, I believe), have carried that tradition forward as best they can in their line of road cars. When compared to the 2-seat offerings of Mazda, BMW, Alfa, and others, Lotus still looks like the class of the litter to me.

I'm not really sure where Lotus, as a company, went off the rails. Surely the death of Chapman, a guy who seemed to run the company by leveraging his own persona to great extent, was a blow. Also, that brief period of ownership by GM following Chapman's death probably did them no good (although I'm forever grateful for their engineering contribution to the GM Ecotec-series of engines, of which I've owned a few, including the 2.5L in our 2009 Saturn, which will probably be the final iteration). Thankfully the underpinnings have somehow remained in place, and the current management appears to be crunching out gear that holds to the traditional values/concepts of what was/is Lotus.

The JPS cars may have been wonderful, but my personal preference was the earlier types rolled out during the mid-1960s. There was nothing better than watching Lotus in Formula 1 coverage on ABC's Wide World of Sports, or especially Jimmy Clark tearing around Indianapolis, here in 1965 (which he won) in his BRG Type 38:

Loved that stuff. After Clark got killed I eventually began following Ickx, the Belgian, who has to be one of the most versatile drivers ever. Long list of accomplishments there, especially at Le Mans. Andretti was fun as well, but he broke my heart too many times. Brabham and Gurney also favorites.

Anyway, John, I think I found you an affordable MGA:

You might want that Saab Sonett instead...it still has most of the paint on it.

Paul

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Thanks Paul,

A fine looking car, but think I'll change the colour to old English white. If you wouldn't mind could you find a mega cheap shipping line as postage might be an issue.

You are right about Jim Clark's Lotus. Though of course that was before they moved to Norfolk.

And don't forget Graham Hill also about Indianapolis 500 winner in 66 in a Lola Ford.

Johnny

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 10:57 AM by johnnyw637.

Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
I grew up reading about Juan Fangio, Peter Collins, and Mike Hawthorn, but Jim Clark was my boyhood racing hero. Period. That might have been what latched me into following Lotus, now that I think about it.

My list of favourite drivers other than Ickx went in a different direction from yours. Andretti never appealed, for example, even though he drove for Lotus. Being a Stewart myself, Sir Jackie was always a favourite.

I rather lost interest after the Hunt-Lauda rivalry (my friends rooting for Niki whilst I remained firmly in the Hunt camp) then the rules changes of the late '70s that began the slippery slope making F1 arguable safer and a boffin's fest rather than a driver's sport. It lost its lunacy but also its spirit in the process.

Now, we have Formula E and the boffins rejoiced as Jesus wept.

healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
Yup, Graham Hill and the BRM's...bloody deadly lot they were.

I presume you guys have all seen Frankenheimer's Grand Prix, to my mind one of the best racing movies made (filmed in 1966). No CGI, just really innovative analog film-making. The first fifteen minutes, filmed on the Monaco circuit, is just brilliant. Cameos by many actual F1 drivers appear throughout, on a number of the actual tracks. Just great fun...good way to spend a dreary afternoon.

Grand Prix

stford Avatar
stford steven ford
steinkjer, steinkjer, Norway   NOR
1967 Jaguar Mark 2 "Kitty"
1970 MG MGB GT "Folly"
1972 MG Midget MkIII "Shaggy"
Yes great film may I recommend
Genevieve Basicly the 1950s version of us, Cursing modern drivers but in this case 1950s Austin drivers.
And anouther fantastic one is the film C'était un rendez-vous.

Dreaming of summer
Steve

Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Ah, yes! "Genevieve" is a great film, one of the best Ealing films not actually made by Ealing. Grin!

I'd love to do the London-Brighton event.

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Don't quite see Genevieve as a great racing film,
Unless Rolls Royce are sports cars, certainly a charming film though.
Certainly agree with Paul on the James Garner Grand prix. Also Southall Motors just up the road is run by an old guy David Cuff known as Cuffy who did some of the driving in the film he appears as part of a pit crew wearing yellow overalls at Monaco. He was lucky enough to drive one the diectors brand new MGB from location to location so the guy had use of it at the next shot. Jim Russell an ex formula one racing driver did much of the driving and co ordinates the racing scenes. James Garner was also a superb driver who did race and did much of his own driving or so Cuffy told me. Jim Russell ran a racing school at Snetterton circuit in Norfolk.

I will look out for the 50s C'était un rendez-vous. Steve.

All the best Johnny

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 06:53 PM by johnnyw637.

Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Sorry, Johnny, if I gave the wrong impression. I meant Genevieve as a great film but no not a racing film.

Oddly, I never got into racing films to watch, even the cult films like Le Mans or Grand Prix. I don't know why; perhaps because there was always some annoying love story intertwined. Grin!

I love documentaries on the subject, but just not a big racing movie fan. Ah, well...

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1972 MG Midget MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links