AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

SapitoPR Avatar
SapitoPR Jorge Olazagasti
San Juan, PR, USA   USA
Magnette K 3

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1108.jpeg    59.7 KB
IMG_1108.jpeg

healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
Westminster, MD, USA   USA
Great stuff guys - has me thinking about that era.

John, is the secret project an addition to the fleet (is that what I’m seeing peeking from beneath the tarp)?

Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Biggles"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
I cut my teeth on aircooled VWs when it wasn't Spits and Minis. The bibles were O'Kane and the BL shop manuals for the little Brits and John Muir's "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive; a Step-By-Step Manual for the Compleat Idiot" for the Boltswagens.

The car is my 1955 Beetle named "The Trash". It was a bit of a sleeper with multi-coloured bodywork a change of engine from the stock 36Hp to a late-356/early-912 Porsche so up to a little over 100. It sounds like nothing now-a-days but it was a very zippy car for its day. The stock suspension was absolutely dangerous with that engine, but Konis and some tweaking made it very tractable.

I had three aircooleds in my early years, this, a 1960 Beetle, and a '64 Ghia. I learned enough from these to become somewhat useful around 356 Porsches a little later in life when I needed work. Grin!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-05 12:44 PM by Sarge101st.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Boltswagen.jpg    43.2 KB
Boltswagen.jpg

muir2.jpg    81.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Ooooh, Lookie-Lookie!

Anne has a Herald, then?

johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Boris 2"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
Might kinda have

Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
In reply to # 3886470 by johnnyw637 Might kinda have

Ho-ho!

Johnny has been a delightfully baaaaad kitty!

More, sir? Please? (in his plaintive best Oliver Twist voice complete with puddle-eyes...)

Grin!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-05 01:44 PM by Sarge101st.

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Will post the saga tomorrow as been running round like a blue arsed fly today and need red wine, a chill and other folks whimsies.

Heard a great one about a used dishwasher earlier but that's another tale and perhaps belongs on the perfect programme to rinse a Bosch.

Now where's that Rioja?

Johnny

healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
Sarge, that description of "The Trash" recalls my youthful lust for a '91 GMC Syclone (basically a Chevy S10 pickup with a turbocharged 4.3L V6 wedged under the hood and an upgraded frame/suspension/drivetrain to handle it). I had dreams of stripping away all the plastic aero-crap, painting various body panels primer red, then toasting every unsuspecting farmboy in town in his old man's F-series or Silverado (might have even had enough lead in its pencil for an occasion Camaro or Mustang). Eventually I came to my senses and returned to British cars, buying the Sprite.

John, you know the wife's going to have to change her name to Edie now...

Paul

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Got there

Paul I'll simple call her "Bill" she's plenty of wisdom

Cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-05 04:02 PM by johnnyw637.

Attachments:
20190205_215436.jpg    27.3 KB
20190205_215436.jpg

healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
In reply to # 3886576 by johnnyw637 Paul I'll simple call her "Bill" she's plenty of wisdom

Spot on.

Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
In reply to # 3886576 by johnnyw637 Got there

Cheers

Clever, that!

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
In reply to # 3886607 by Sarge101st
In reply to # 3886576 by johnnyw637 Got there

Cheers

Clever, that!

All true

ANNE I HOPE YOU READ THIS winking smileysmileys with beer

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Hi Guy’s,
Having spent the afternoon farting around making a boot template for the Midge and getting nowhere fast, I’ve come insidenow and thought I’d spill the beans on the secret Herald.

Now I was keeping quiet until July but due to an idiot putting the new owner’s name and her home address on the registration document, said idiot being out, wife coming home early and the post being very late, the cat kinda got out of the bag.

Anyhows the story really goes back to the mid 1980’s when Anne and I were buying our first house and were struggling to raise the money for the deposit. Now it happened, just before this that Anne had set her heart on a Triumph Herald and unbeknownst to me had gone off with a friend to look at this car. However, the car purchase was sacrificed for bricks and mortar.

It so happens over the years that every so often, particularly when we are with friends and we come across a Herald or Vitesse that the story gets recanted about how Anne’s beloved car went into a house.
Now this could be a 5 minute wonder and a quick resale, but anne has a big birthday coming up in mid July this year, so I have been planning for the last couple of years to make good on this lost motor.
Back in June when we went to the Morris Minor 70th and I saw Anne gazing at a Herald on the site and later heard her recant the tale once again, to a couple we met at the Moggy convention, it was further set in my mind to get her one.

Obviously I wanted one in reasonably good condition so it was good to go and the plan has been to store it at my folks and collect it the evening before the big day an put it in the drive way over night with a big bow on it, so Anne sees it first thing in the morning on the day of her birthday.

Ideally I would have liked to have picked up one between Christmas and March/April this year in the quiet season for convertibles before prices got silly.
However, my neighbour a Herald owner invited me to an auction in my home town of Kings Lynn back in November. Now of course as fete would have it, in the auction were both a Herald and a Vitesse. So I found myself, arranging the quickest ever insurance that i have ever purchased and driving in the mid of the auction back to my parents house in a 1960’s convertible Herald with a factory fitted fastback hardtop (how embarrassing cool smiley ).

Lastly I have been in two minds as to whether or not to post photos of said vehicle as all Anne has seen is the documents. Perhaps it is unwise to post these photos before Anne sees it in the flesh, but July is a long way off, I’m itchin, have given you a preview the other day and I am pretty certain that Anne never looks at this site.

I am pretty sure that this will not convert Anne to classic cars and I am certain that the ownership will be fleeting, but it’s all made for a good adventure and tale.

All the best Johnnysmileys with beer

Attachments:
20190206_140312.jpg    38.1 KB
20190206_140312.jpg

20190206_151347.jpg    41.2 KB
2a.jpg    56.4 KB
3.jpg    30.3 KB
1.jpg    52 KB
4.jpg    54.8 KB
Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Johnny, I think that's an absolutely brilliant tale. I wondered if there had been more to the trip to the Anglia Car Auction than just a Grand Day Out. Grin!

I hope she does take to it all; it could be a lot of fun drag racing each other during the St. George Day Run.

Such the thoughtful lad...

smoking smiley

jimbvd Platinum Member Jim Bravard
Hopkinsville, Ky., USA   USA
I say, good show, old man, good show! smiling smiley

I'm sure Anne will be quite impressed with your thoughtfulness!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster