Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Gord in Rockburn Avatar
Gord in Rockburn Gordon Clark
Hinchinbrooke, Rockburn, Qué., Canada   CAN
Putting a 1275 and GB into my daughters Mk I Bugeye Sprite. Looks like a ‘Plug ‘n Play’, But need some guidance on best way to allow for a 34½% increase in engine heat, and any other problems.

Reluctant to change the radiator as this is an expensive option, but am thinking that a radiator fan and an oil rad would be a good place to start. How do I plumb the oil rad?

Would like to hear from anyone who’‘s made this conversion, and has any suggestions.

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Gordon,

The Bugeye radiator will work just fine with a 1275. I run my 1275 powered Bugeye race car with a Bugeye radiator with no fan. The standard 1275 fan will work just fine on a street car. You can install an electric fan if you like, but the standard fan does just fine. thumbs up

In reply to # 3906825 by Gord in Rockburn Putting a 1275 and GB into my daughters Mk I Bugeye Sprite. Looks like a ‘Plug ‘n Play’, But need some guidance on best way to allow for a 34½% increase in engine heat, and any other problems.

Reluctant to change the radiator as this is an expensive option, but am thinking that a radiator fan and an oil rad would be a good place to start. How do I plumb the oil rad?

Would like to hear from anyone who’‘s made this conversion, and has any suggestions.

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.

Yes No Thank
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
As Rick said and wish to add that the first 1275 that the factory fitted used the same radiator as the BE. Your only hang up will be the clutch slave and you might want to move up to the later brakes and master cylinder as well.

Kurt

Yes No Thank
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Bugeye clutch slave will work just fine too as long as you use the later clutch slave pushrod. smiling smiley

In reply to # 3907032 by S1 Elan As Rick said and wish to add that the first 1275 that the factory fitted used the same radiator as the BE. Your only hang up will be the clutch slave and you might want to move up to the later brakes and master cylinder as well.

Kurt

Yes No Thank
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
GORDON: Done like five. Like the other fellows said. Zero issues with the Motor application. I did upgrade all the "Brake Hydraulics. Have Fun.

In reply to # 3906825 by Gord in Rockburn Putting a 1275 and GB into my daughters Mk I Bugeye Sprite. Looks like a ‘Plug ‘n Play’, But need some guidance on best way to allow for a 34½% increase in engine heat, and any other problems.

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:

Attachments:
CUSHMAN BUGEYE GONE 007.jpg    57.6 KB
CUSHMAN  BUGEYE GONE 007.jpg

Misscel projects 010.jpg    61.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Bugeye Outside 003.jpg    59.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Gordon, like has been said you can use the BE radiator. Might think about having it cleaner at a radiator shop before the engine swap. I think I would install the 1275 and run it before you plumb it for an oil cooler. A correctly set up 1275 in your area prob won't need an oil cooler. I have one in my 71 but I live in Atlanta where the temps tend to get pretty warm so the extra cooling is fine for me.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Yes No Thank
minimarc Avatar
minimarc Bob Marcum
BREVARD, NC, USA   USA
Surprised no one has suggested you will most likely want to change the rear gear to a 3.9 or 3.7 since you will have much more power with the 1275.

Enjoy the bigger engine.

Bob Marcum

1959 AH Bugeye Sprite
1960 Morris Minor Tourer
Ex Mini Vintage Racer

Yes No Thank
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
For me the bigger engine makes the 4.22 rear end that much more fun.

In reply to # 3907430 by minimarc Surprised no one has suggested you will most likely want to change the rear gear to a 3.9 or 3.7 since you will have much more power with the 1275.

Enjoy the bigger engine.

Yes No Thank
Gord in Rockburn Avatar
Gord in Rockburn Gordon Clark
Hinchinbrooke, Rockburn, Qué., Canada   CAN
Thanks for all your suggestions and encouragement. I'm a big fan of putting in better CWPs .like I've done with my TF.

We have a parts hulk (my dtr calls it a 'flower pot') Mk 2 in the yard, and I guess, the easy way would be to swap axles, resulting in a 3.9. Going to live with the 4.22 for now.

Gord

Yes No Thank
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Sure its a Mk 2???

A Mk 2 will still have a 4.22 and a 1098 engine. You need a Mk 4 Sprite or a Mk 3 Midget to get a 1275 and late 1968 before you got a 3.9 diff. Diff ratio is marked on the bolt flange at about 10:00 O Clock when viewed from the drive shaft end.

Kurt

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster