AutoShrine Sponsor

Stuck on Engine disassembly
  This topic is about my 1971 MG Midget MkIII
71Dwerg Avatar
71Dwerg Silver Member Johan D
Arnold, MD, USA   USA
1971 MG Midget MkIII "Little Miss"
1982 Fiat 124 Spider 2000
Finally getting around to disassembling my engine. Slow, dirty process because of all the 40-year old oil that is caked on everywhere. Took off the gearbox and most other peripherals but now I'm stuck with no clear idea how to proceed with the items below, mainly because a. I'm afraid I'll break something if I try to stop the flywheel from turning, and b. afraid the bolt will break off. (looks like a 33-34 mm or 1 5/16'?....need to get a socket that size as well)

Thanks,

Johan

Where are we going? And why am I in this hand basket?

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Hi Johan,

An impact wrench is the easiest way to get the crank pulley bolt off. It's 1 5/16", nothing on the car is metric.

I use a large screwdriver wedged between one of the teeth on the flywheel ring gear and a bolt head on the backplate to hold the flywheel while loosening the pressure plate and flywheel bolts. The ring gear is tough. You won't break it.

In reply to # 3907595 by 71Dwerg Finally getting around to disassembling my engine. Slow, dirty process because of all the 40-year old oil that is caked on everywhere. Took off the gearbox and most other peripherals but now I'm stuck with no clear idea how to proceed with the items below, mainly because a. I'm afraid I'll break something if I try to stop the flywheel from turning, and b. afraid the bolt will break off. (looks like a 33-34 mm or 1 5/16'?....need to get a socket that size as well)

Thanks,

Johan

Yes No Thank
AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, CO, USA   USA
In reply to a post by refisk The ring gear is tough. You won't break it.
But you might break the screwdriver- I use a lady slipper, or if I must, a flat prybar through the starter hole.

'58 Bugeye
'05 Mini Cooper S

Yes No Thank
mgm1967 Avatar
mgm1967 Silver Member Mike M.
East Arkansas, AR, USA   USA
It would be worth it to get a flywheel lock.

Yes No Thank
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
The screwdriver I use is two feet long and has a huge blade. I'm not gonna break it. smiling smiley

In reply to # 3907606 by AN5L8016
In reply to a post by refisk The ring gear is tough. You won't break it.
But you might break the screwdriver- I use a lady slipper, or if I must, a flat prybar through the starter hole.

Yes No Thank
dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Platinum Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
nothing on the car is metric.

Not true...

Dick

In reply to # 3907602 by refisk Hi Johan,

An impact wrench is the easiest way to get the crank pulley bolt off. It's 1 5/16", nothing on the car is metric.

I use a large screwdriver wedged between one of the teeth on the flywheel ring gear and a bolt head on the backplate to hold the flywheel while loosening the pressure plate and flywheel bolts. The ring gear is tough. You won't break it.

In reply to # 3907595 by 71Dwerg Finally getting around to disassembling my engine. Slow, dirty process because of all the 40-year old oil that is caked on everywhere. Took off the gearbox and most other peripherals but now I'm stuck with no clear idea how to proceed with the items below, mainly because a. I'm afraid I'll break something if I try to stop the flywheel from turning, and b. afraid the bolt will break off. (looks like a 33-34 mm or 1 5/16'?....need to get a socket that size as well)

Thanks,

Johan

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

Yes No Thank
Billm Avatar
Billm Bill Masquelier
Santee, CA, USA   USA
Dick
Please elaborate
Billm

Yes No Thank
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
JOHAN: Remove the clutch components and then the Flywheel. "EASY" (TAP, TAP< TAP,) Thru the starter hole. Screw in 'OPPOSING" bolts in the end of the crankshaft, insert a piece of pipe to lock the crankshaft in place when taking off the front pulley nut. Have Fun.

Thanks,

Johan

IN ALL SUBJECTS.: For those who believe, no proof is needed. For those who don’t believe, no proof is possible.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough"
Sir Henry Royce
co-founder of Rolls Royce .

"BENJAMIN FRANKLIN" >>(Expanded) The bitterness of poor quality (or Crappy Workmenship) remains LONG AFTER the Sweet Taste of Low Price is forgotten.

Member Services:
Yes No Thank
PeterC Avatar
PeterC Platinum Member Peter Caldwell
Madison Wisconsin, USA   USA
A 2x4 works perfectly in the starter hole and wedges against the ring gear

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (608) 223-9400 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
Yes No Thank
BillHoltzman Bill Holtzman
Annapolis, MD, USA   USA
My favorite trick is to put a rope in a cylinder ensuring you're coming up on a compression stroke (just so the valves are closed) and so it keeps the engine from turning. You can break the bolt loose this way

Yes No Thank
jmac Avatar
jmac Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Jere McSparran
Greenup, IL, USA   USA
1971 MG Midget "Joy Ride"
1978 MG Midget "Therapy"
1978 MG Midget "(SOLD)"
1-5/16" socket and an air impact. I've done all the above except the rope idea. They all work, and the rope idea would work too but I think that is too much like work. But if you remove the rocker assembly first you wouldn't need to worry about which stroke the engine was on, all the valves would be closed.

JMac
JMAC Engine Shop
http://www.jmacengineshop.com

Member Services:
Midget/Spitfire 1500 engine rebuilding.
Yes No Thank
Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
This is what I do every day, call/PM/Email me if I can be of help.

https://www.mgexp.com/forum/vendor-market.68/acme-speed-shop-diy-engine-rebuilding-kits.1828263/

I would heed Gere's advice on the impact, I use an electric Makita impact gun, perfect for these cars, as they max out about 65-70 pounds, you get a cheaper electric or air impact at a place like Harbor Freight

electric: https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-heavy-duty-electric-impact-wrench-68099.html

air: https://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-pneumatic-impact-wrench-95310.html

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-13 09:09 AM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
Yes No Thank
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Just because a metric wrench fits doesn't make it metric. Probably a few Witworth nuts and bolts are what you are finding. I know a 15mm fits some of them. 18mm is also a good substitute for others,

Yes No Thank
mgm1967 Avatar
mgm1967 Silver Member Mike M.
East Arkansas, AR, USA   USA
It seems if metric or standard doesn't fit it is Whitworth then on Bs. The brass electrical items all seem to be Whitworth even on the 1980 models.

Yes No Thank
71Dwerg Avatar
71Dwerg Silver Member Johan D
Arnold, MD, USA   USA
1971 MG Midget MkIII "Little Miss"
1982 Fiat 124 Spider 2000
Thanks for all the advice, gents! Work is once again interfering, so hopefully I'll be able to put all the advice to use by the end of the month!

Where are we going? And why am I in this hand basket?

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster