Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
Wow, a Paul Kelly and the Messengers reference!

I don't think many of the yanks on this forum will have heard 'I've done all the dumb things', so here's a link:

Norm

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Roger, when i rebuild the rear leafs I proceed by first removing the center locating bolt in the spring. I then carefully pry one or two leaf locators so that they will slip over the locating nubs on the first longest leaf. Then i remove that leaf. Once you have a couple of leafs out the rest are easy to remove. Don't try to undo the locaters since the tabs always break off. just slide them to the ends with maybe a little lubricant to help. As Bentley says reassembly is the reverse!winking smiley

For shims I had a supply of moly filled poly carbonate that I have used up. Purchased from Mc Master Carr here in the states. I believe the original was just polyethelene and I don't remember the thickness but if you measure your originals near the locating bolt hole there shouldn't be much wear there and that will give you an idea. Moly filled nylon would work better than original as well. I believe I made them a tad thicker than original.

Kurt

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
OK, Roger and Norm, I think I've become a fan!

Kurt

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Should also add that to address the bachelor lean even farther I have added a leaf to the driver side. To locate that leaf I drilled and countersunk a rivet into a bracket resembling the locaters on the quarter ecliptic springs. May be more than most folks want to tackle.

Kurt

dogeddie Avatar
dogeddie Silver Member Andy L
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
Thanks for the tips - I like that song!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-06 12:15 PM by dogeddie.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
In reply to # 3886979 by Kerr Wow, a Paul Kelly and the Messengers reference!

I don't think many of the yanks on this forum will have heard 'I've done all the dumb things', so here's a link:

Norm

Saw Paul Kelly solo in Nashville sometime around the time I did my first Midget resto (2008-2010). Have one of his album covers in a frame in my music room. Great limey/pub rocker! The song Spring And Fall is a beautiful ballad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-06 01:39 PM by littlecars.

Attachments:
Paul Kelly Spring and Fall.jpg    80.3 KB
Paul Kelly Spring and Fall.jpg

Sprite1956 Roger Parry-Jones
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Nick,

Thank you for the attachment on springs. I've never heard of grooved Corvette springs or chromed springs. One of the reasons the BMC Special Tuning competition cars had painted wire wheels (rather than chromed) was to avoid the risk of hydrogen embrittlement and failure.

Norm,

Paul Kelly isn't a 'limey' (taken from UK sailors who, since Captain Cook's Pacific explorations, had lime juice added to their water supplies to avoid scurvy). Australians don't identify as ''limey's". We come from the Land of Oz! Actually, Paul is a Melbourne resident, one of 5 million who call this place home. He's been on the music scene for decades, heading up a range of bands. A more humble, inclusive and talented musician would be hard to find. He's done some great work with indigenous musicians too. I'm impressed you saw him and remembered but that's what happens when you see him live, whether in a pub on a solo, acoustic set or in a big band at a festival. He has the ability to tell a personal narrative that is heartfelt without cloying sentiment. Check out "Making Gravy"- a real recipe used as a vehicle for an estranged bloke yearning he was doing normal things with his family. Quirky, honest and real. Like the man himself.

Thanks guys!

Roger

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
Roger, that was me that made the mistake of calling Paul Kelly a limey, not Norm! devil smiley My apologies!moon He performed "Making Gravy" solo acoustic at the show I went to and told a very good story before playing it. One of the better shows I've seen in Nashville (off the beaten track and not COUNTRY MUSIC by modern standards). My second favorite show was Graham Parker...similar venue and stripped down band. I think I saw he and then Elvis Costello just a few months apart. Going to see Denny Laine in the coming days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-07 09:00 AM by littlecars.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
I'm afraid I'm of the "Seekers" generation though I kinda like "Men at Work" as well. grinning smiley

Kurt

dlrhine Avatar
dlrhine Dave Rhine
Columbia, SC, USA   USA
Andy

I agree with Kurt, more gained by replacing rear shackle bushings if front seen to be ok.
You can take a hefty screw driver or pry bar & push around on the front...if little movement & no clunking, they should be ok.
I ordered front & rear red poly bushings 10 years ago, installed the rears & the front ones are still sitting on the shelf.

I didn't have much trouble doing the rears.
I just put the car on Jack stands & used a floor jack to raise & lower the diff/axle assembly as needed.
Piece of cake winking smiley

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it until it is! winking smiley

dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
In reply to # 3887545 by dlrhine Andy

I agree with Kurt, more gained by replacing rear shackle bushings if front seen to be ok.
You can take a hefty screw driver or pry bar & push around on the front...if little movement & no clunking, they should be ok.
I ordered front & rear red poly bushings 10 years ago, installed the rears & the front ones are still sitting on the shelf.

I didn't have much trouble doing the rears.
I just put the car on Jack stands & used a floor jack to raise & lower the diff/axle assembly as needed.
Piece of cake winking smiley

Thanks Dave - that is good to hear as that is my plan

Richard D Avatar
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
Bachelor lean, That term makes perfect sense! grinning smiley I have never heard it called that until I joined this forum, but I have seen it many times.
Here are my personal thoughts on it. (ymmv)...The biggest factor for bachelor lean in old tired suspensions is simply engine torque on the drive line. There is more down force on the driver side when accelerating than there is on the passenger side. That spring has to continuously work harder under more load. It's gonna get weaker quicker.
That concept is well known in drag racing. It's referred to as Hook up. Over coming it is one of the biggest factors in keeping the car pointed in a straight line when you let the Horses loose.

Plastic shims between the springs, much like the plastic shim between the caliper piston and brake pad on disk brakes are there for friction and noise reduction.

Before I added a spring to correct the issue, I personally would get that side re-arched to correct the sag. That way, when the load stacks up on the spring, it would compress in a more consistent manner in relation to the other leaf spring. But that's just me. smiling smiley

p.s.
A rear sway bar never hurt either.

smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-07 04:14 PM by Richard D.

dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
That's interesting Richard. But do you think the same concept applies with the very "un dragster - like" torque of the midget? Or was the the PO a single fat guy. eye popping smiley

Richard D Avatar
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3887856 by dogeddie That's interesting Richard. But do you think the same concept applies with the very "un dragster - like" torque of the midget? Or was the the PO a single fat guy. eye popping smiley

<laughing>

I'm thinking If we are talking degrees the same principle might apply.
Ones first inclination might be to get a hefty ride along passenger and let her weight balance things out. I guess just by the definition alone, that in itself would eliminate any bachelor lean! But in my experience, I'm thinking it may be cheaper and less trouble in the long run to just deal with the springs!

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3887856 by dogeddie Or was the the PO a single fat guy. eye popping smiley

dogeddie, that one made me laugh! grinning smiley This phenomenon showed itself on the driver's seat that came with my Purple Rat Midget project a few years ago. All the padding was flattened on the back and butt areas but the vinyl was perfect. It even looked like the previous owner might have rested his big fat arm on the tunnel while driving. I could just imagine a big, stocky elbow might have rest on the bulkhead behind the seat. A rather heavy person had been reclining here for so long that the seat adjuster froze in the far back position and the seat was crushed against that bulkhead.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster